Jailbreaking iPhone

Spirit. By far the easiest method. Have to admit, I only have iPod touch (2) so check if your particular model (3Gs) can be jailbroken by Spirit.

What s/w version is your phone running currently ?

Disregard the 2nd sentence. Spirit's website, http://spiritjb.com/, says it will jailbreak
Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2 (not 3.2.1).

Spirit. By far the easiest method. Have to admit, I only have iPod touch (2) so check if your particular model (3Gs) can be jailbroken by Spirit.

What s/w version is your phone running currently ?

Disregard the 2nd sentence. Spirit's website, Spirit, says it will jailbreak

I have read that jail breaking is possible with 4.0

I have not updated to 4.0.2 yet because I read that the current jail breaking utilizes holes in PDF, which 4.0.2 fixed.

I am looking for a tethered jail break. Although I will not use tethering most of the time because I think I will be steeling something I am not paying for, I do want the option for those once in a blue moon necessities

You're misunderstanding "tethered" in this scenario. "Tethered" means the phone has to be connected to a PC anytime it reboots. Certain phone and iPod touch models and ones with certain s/w versions req'd this. It was less than ideal... If your phone crashed and rebooted while you're away from your PC, you're SOL.

I suspect you're thinking of "tether" in the sense of sharing bandwidth/data from your iPhone with other devices. Same word but different meaning in this case.

You're misunderstanding "tethered" in this scenario. "Tethered" means the phone has to be connected to a PC anytime it reboots. Certain phone and iPod touch models and ones with certain s/w versions req'd this. It was less than ideal... If your phone crashed and rebooted while you're away from your PC, you're SOL.

I suspect you're thinking of "tether" in the sense of sharing bandwidth/data from your iPhone with other devices. Same word but different meaning in this case.
I was thinking of tethering as in internet hotspot.

Anyway, do you know of where I can go to jailbreak with the iOS4?

the problem is, few of the apps, settings, hacks, ex. work with iOS4. Cannot get the 5 row keyboard to work; I am not going to pay for something like 3G unrestrictor if it is not going to work. I have no idea which ones will work and which ones will not until I install it.

Are you saying you don't want v4 of the iPhone's software ? In some situations, you can downgrade. I've kept both of our iPod touches at v3.1.2 for now... I realize with phones, in order to get newer "radio" software, it's beneficial to update.

Are you saying you don't want v4 of the iPhone's software ? In some situations, you can downgrade. I've kept both of our iPod touches at v3.1.2 for now... I realize with phones, in order to get newer "radio" software, it's beneficial to update.
What I am saying is I have no idea which features on Cydia work with iOS4 and which do not. Anything that requires money will not be purchased by me until I know for sure. Considering all of the free things I have tried have yet to work, I cam even more skeptical. I cannot even get the friggen 5 row keyboard to work even though it is set to 5 row.

If I'm not mistaken there is no tether jailbreak. Seems there was one a few jailbreaks ago but has since been taken away. If I'm wrong about that, I'll be jail breaking again.:)

I am actually restoring my phone. Not only are the few tweaks I wanted to do not available with iOS4, it has caused a few other issues with a couple of my apps not opening.

All is now back to normal. I will wait until the cydia apps become more compatible with iOS4 before I jailbreak it again.

I finally took the plunge and backed up my phone and jailbroke it today. So far I'm quite pleased. Having a lock screen that displays new emails, IMs, calendar items and weather is a big improvement. Throw in the minor UI mods and some texting and other app improvements and this is a win so far for me. Time will tell if I run inti any problems.

Why would anyone want to jailbreak the iPhone??
Doesn't that create more problems than it solves?
Don't you have enough apps already?
Just curious...