Jailbreaking iPhone

truckracer said:
limera1n does not work on my ipod touch 3rd generation running 4.1. i have tried everything. and its no...go. it just boots back up after the "jailbreak" and returns to normal...no limerain icon

Did u ever see the limera1n icon during the JB?

No limera1n icon. Just the apple icon as normal. Limera1n seems to work as I follow the instructions precisely. I am running iTunes 10 on windows xp pc.
No error codes. I know blackra1n worked perfectly back when I used it.

I've been holding off but am now looking at options for updating from 3.1.2 (iPod Touch, 2nd gen) to 4.0.1. Am I correct that Spirit won't work for this yet ? One of the Touch units has SHSH (?) stored at Cydia. Need to check the other one.

I have iOS 4.0 downloaded from that German "felix" website.

What jailbreak app or apps do people like and will work for this ? I see limerain mentioned above.

Um, where have you been?

4.2.1 was just released today (not jailbroken yet) and 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.1 are jailbreakable with many tools for quite a long time now.

Specifically, spirit was never updated past 3.1.2 but was superceded by jailbreakme.com.

my favorite currently is limerain but pwnage and redsnow should work fine too.

follow musclenerd and chpwn on twitter for the most correct info.

4.2 can be jailbroken. If you do you will find that Cydia does not work as it needs to be updated for 4.2 also everytime you shut down your IOS device you will need to hook it up to your computer in order to get it working. They are workin to fix these issuses.

Since 4.2 isn't jail-breakable, really no need to mention it, yes? I didn't see 4.1.x software available and if I update through iTunes, it will only offer me the latest (4.2.x).

I'll check those twitter feeds as well as limerain.

Redsnow was tethered only for our model/generation iPod touch and do NOT want tethered anymore. Too much hassle if my wife or son inadvertently rebooted.

tomcrown1 said:
4.2 can be jailbroken. If you do you will find that Cydia does not work...
I saw that and don't consider the lack of cydia feasible right now. I realize I can make it work, just don't want to deal with that yet...

It's tethered on "recent" devices though. It mentions "non-MC" iPod touch units, which ours are. Being tethered is a pain... It doesn't happen often, but if the device ever gets rebooted, it's STUCK if you're not near your PC (with the JB tools, IPSW file, etc, etc).

It's tethered on "recent" devices though. It mentions "non-MC" iPod touch units, which ours are. Being tethered is a pain... It doesn't happen often, but if the device ever gets rebooted, it's STUCK if you're not near your PC (with the JB tools, IPSW file, etc, etc).
My current jailbreak is tethered. But so far, for phones, this recent jailbreaks only works on the iPhone 4. My 3GS cannot be done at this moment

Yes, but not for the most recent jailbreak for iOS4.2

Here is a quote from the Dev Team blog.

The best news of all is for owners of iPhone3G, older iPhone3GS, and non-MC iPod touch 2G. Due to a combination of our original pwnage2 exploit, the arm7_go exploit, 24kpwn, and limera1n, your device is “just as jailbreakable as ever.” You reap the full benefit of an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak

Here is a quote from the Dev Team blog.

The best news of all is for owners of iPhone3G, older iPhone3GS, and non-MC iPod touch 2G. Due to a combination of our original pwnage2 exploit, the arm7_go exploit, 24kpwn, and limera1n, your device is “just as jailbreakable as ever.” You reap the full benefit of an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak
So, I can update to 4.2 and then jailbreak again?

That's how I read it. The only thing that would concern me is that it says 3GS with older boot roms. Not sure where the cut of from older to newest would be.
It's as clear as mud... :) Our iPod touch(s) are for all intents and purposes 2nd generation but has the 3rd generation boot rom (?). That's why they mention "non-MC" models all the time. True 2nd gen model are "easily" jail-broken and pretty much untethered, as I understand. 3rd generation models are the tricky ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)