Janeil Darkstar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AngelofDeth

Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Hello. I have an old Janeil Darkstar 10' dish, and the motor is no longer working properly. When it was in service several years ago, I accidentaily cross a couple of wires while the dish was moving. Now, or at least last time I tried, when I try to move the dish, it moves for a second, then I get a dish error from the receiver. I guess perhaps a sensor may have been damaged. Im just wondering if its possible this can be repaired, as its mount is not typical as its a H-H mount, with a half-circle gear drive, and I wouldn't want to try replacing the whole thing, as the dish isnt that great anyway, but would like to salvage it without too much work...

Thats what I thought, but arn't there different types of reed sensors? Janeil is long since bankrupt, I don't know if I have the original because I disconnected the sensor and tried one from an alarm system....

Just a thought - if its 'been years' since it was in use, then years since you crossed the wires - does the unit still appear to be water tight? If it is rusty, you may just need to squirt some liquid wrench down the armature. I squeezed another year out of a rusted actuator that way, while saving up for a SuperJack 24".

kulakovich

No, rust has never been a problem, though its been awhile since i've looked. The dish isn't at my place currently. The problem is the receiver is not getting a pulse count from the motor.

The only way to find out is to open the cover on the Horizon-Horizon motor and see what kind of sensor it has. Some H-H motors used a standard reed sensor, while others used an optical sensor and some used a potentiometer. The optical and potentiometer sensor almost always had the 5 volt wire connected from the receiver. Once you ID the sensor, a replacement can be found.

Problem with motor /sensor

Do you have a volt ohm meter? Is there 36 volt at the main, 5 volt at the secondary? It is possible there is a burnt out a fuse/voltage regulator in the receiver...

KLW

I'm pretty sure I tried two receivers when it happened, so that isn't the issue. Next time I have a chance, I will take a look at the dish/motor and see if I can get the sensor, and maybe someone here can tell me what it is or what I might be able to replace it with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts