Jeys wireless?

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
I have a couple of customers who have called saying that they heard that you can have joeys hooked up wirelessly, meaning no cable from node to joeys. is this really possible and if so how and what kind if equipment would I need?

I have a couple of customers who have called saying that they heard that you can have joeys hooked up wirelessly, meaning no cable from node to joeys. is this really possible and if so how and what kind if equipment would I need?

Yes it's possible but DISH doesn't support this type of install. All equipment just needs to be connected to the same network. This type of set up may cause issues if there are too many devices connected in this fashion, or so I've heard.

Yes it does work!

I have one of my Hoppers connected with a wireless usb adapter to my Wireless-N network. I then got another Dish USB Wireless Adapter for the Joey in my daughter's room. Her TV is mounted on an exterior wall and we could not fish a cable inside the wall and she didn't want the "ugly" cable showing.

The only drawback I have found is that in order to change which DVR recordings on each Hopper you see, you have to go through settings>>Network Setup>>Whole Home to connect to the other Hopper instead of a dropdown menu on the DVR menu. I would recommend having the Joey close to the router/access point. I have tried it on a Joey that is quite a bit farther away and I lose connection to the Hopper from time to time. I have seen that others have recommended using Wireless-N as opposed to G. I have both networks in my house, but I have not tried the G network yet.

The more and more testing I do just leads me to one conclusion as long as everything is connected to the network in your home no matter the connection MOCA, Ethernet, or WIFI, The system will work

The only method Dish supports is Coax to all receivers.

I have a Hoppa on Node A and a Hoppa on Node B Nodes are not connected One Hoppa connect with a HIC and the other through a Wireless Bridge>5 port Switch>Hoppa and the can share DVR recording between the 2.

This system has a lot of potential

The big problem that I see with a wireless Joey is that all that constant HD video traffic going through your network slows everything else down a bit.

I've had one of the Joeys on WiFi (using the Dish USB WiFi dongle) for 7 months now and it's near flawless!

To set it up all you need is a dish wifi adapter and a joey. Keep in mind initial downloads of software will need to be done via coax. I'll usually just throw a tap in behind the hopper temporarily and download/activate. Then unplug and take the joey where you want it. Power it on, wait for a picture, plug in the wifi adapter and go through the wizard just like you would on any other receiver.

Cool. Do you have a super router.
No super-router needed. Each stream is only about 6-7mbps. Any reasonable decent quality single band N network should be able to absorb that, most G nets would be OK.

Sure there are situations it will be noticeable with multiple wireless Joeys running simultaneously, but options to fix it are easy and cheap if it's a problem and you really need wireless. If congestion is a problem, add an access point dedicated for the Joeys ($30), or decent dual-band router can be had for $30-$40 - put the Joeys on the 5Ghz radio.

What is the built in wireless in the new hopper for? Does it serve as an access point for wireless joeys or does it simply integrate an 'N' spec adapter into the equation, saving the usb port.

It's primarily there as a basic connectivity option to serve internet to the Hopper network, for Sling, VOD, various apps, dialing home, etc.

Dish does not yet officially support ethernet-only connectivity for the Joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts