Joey 2.0 Joey4K on Hopper 3 bugs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Everyone has been posting the Hopper 3 minor issues.
What about the Joey 2.0 and Joey 4k on the new Hopper 3?

Connecting these boxes to the Hopper 3 brings new issues we have not seen with the Hopper WS 2.0

I will start with my list.

1. Over the Air OTA is much worse on a Joey 2.0 or Joey 4k. It may be perfect the Hopper 3 but bad on the Joeys.

a. What I see is intermittent digital pixelation. Often seen from OTA multipathing. Could be a software issue with multipathing on the Joeys?

b. A times I wonder if it is a MOCA issues as OTA sends more data as its not compressed down and the MOCA software cant handle the extra data feed, then it just drops it. I do not see any errors in the MOCA diag screen.

c. I also wonder on the MOCA concern that maybe 3 GHZ coax is needed now to all Joeys? A new requirement not documented thus it would be bug.

d. More on the Multipath concern.
The Over the Air code that deals with Multipath. My Hopper WS was perfect all the time.

If the signal is TOO STRONG, you get this issue as there is too much multipathing going on. (same signal bouncing off other houses or trees coming into your antenna slightly behind or different).

Solution was to put an Antenuator on the Anttenna coax and adjust it.
Trouble is this sginal can change from day to night so you have to adjust it a lot.
If you do not have an Atenuator putting a 2 way splitter or have a 3 way can be a low cost easy test to verify this.
WORSE NEWS: The Joey 2.0 and Joey 4K make the Multipathing even worse, so you may be a minor issue going on with the HOPPER 3 you may not see much of an issue on a Hopper 3, but watch the same channel on the Joey and wow it is even worse. I am guessing the software for the Joey for OTA view is different. Trouble is the JOEY 2.0 and JOEY 4K do not seen to follow this fix of an Antenuator.

2. Joey 2.0 has a blank Mini Guide. My Joey 4K works find. I have rebooted may times. It is always empty.

3. Joey 2.0 Netflix Box Tune to Chanel 370 and Netflix will have issues. Exit and return and it still has issues. Only a reboot will clear the issues, could be a memory leak. One time it displayed a 370 in the middle of the screen and it would not go away. Only a reboot would clear it. If you go to Netfix form the menu it always works as long as you never go to it via channel 370.

Note: Netflix is not on the Joey 4K yet, could this be why it has not passed certification?

4. Joey 2.0 only. Remote seems sticky or slow, its missing receiving signals. Could be a UHF software issue.

5. Joey 4K if you go to Parental Guide and block channels 101 to 103 then the next day when you turn the Joey 4K on it will only display guide channels in the 900s and NOTHING else. Work already is then to show all channels and then switch it back to show only channels you get.

New Bug
-
6. Had power outage, both the Hopper 3 and Joey 2.0 came back up, but the Joey 2.0 kept saying trying to find Hopper. The Joey 4k found it. Had to reboot the Joey 2.0 a 2nd time to get it to find the Hopper 3.0 bug could be it times out in looking?

7. Watch Netflix on a Joey 2.0 connected to a Hopper 3.0
THEN
On the Hopper 3 start an external Hard Drive transfer with a lot of movies going to the external HD.
RESULTS: whole system locks up , crashes and the Hopper 3 reboots, Joey 2.0 of course stops watching netflix.

7. I forgot a step, watch Netflix on Joey 2.0, then start a transfer to external HD THEN do a Pip on the Hopper and switch back and forth, then it crashes.

8. On the Joey 2.0 and Joey 4K When you tune to a channel with one of those little White Play icons in it, on the Hopper 3.0 it will say press select for options to watch from the beggining, on the Joey it does not.. This feature is not working.

I don't have an OTA adapter connected to my Hopper 3 But I did find some information about the interconnect on another site.
The MoCA signal is 650 - 875 MHz from the hub to the client. The signal to the Hopper 3 from the hub is 650 - 3000 MHz.

I won't testify to the accuracy of the document I found but here is the wiring diagram from the document:

upload_2016-3-8_8-11-5.png

When I had my 722K I used the OTA module for it to record my local stations. The only multipath I remember seeing is on 1 station. When all of the
stations in my area went digital early on they were on their new UHF frequency assignments. Then the ABC affiliate after about 6 months returned
to it's old VHF assignment. If you look at my avitar you can see the UHF antenna I used before they switched back. When they switched bak
I ended up installing a smaller antenna on my roof. That's when I started receiving multipath on the VHF station. I don't think we have multipath on
the remaining UHF stations but I don't watch local broadcast TV that often.

From my location to the tower sites for the majority of the locals is about 20 miles. I look right into the back of our local hospital with the antenna.
BUT the multipath seems to only happen, which I feel is logical, when the Philadelphia airport is on a west operation. The approaching aircraft from the
south and east fly right over my house. When i used to fly for the FAA when we were checking the ILS systems on the west runways at PHL
we would fly right over my house during several of the checks.

With my Hopper 3 I have gone to recording all of my locals stations off of the satellite. If my wife or I do watch a local station live we use the antenna.

I can't answer why the OTA signal is worse on the Joeys. Like you said the Hopper 3 has to process the OTA signal first the send it to the Joeys.
This could cause the multipath to be "amplified" when viewed on the Joey's. There is another thread here about the OTA adapters have pixelation
problems so installing a better antenna, better coax on the antenna or an amplifier may not help. Good luck finding your multipath problem.

As for problem #6 I would try adding a good UPS to your system. There is another discussion on using a UPS for the Dish receivers. I started
using a UPS on all of my computer TV and audio equipment when I took a lightening strike close by and it wiped out my surround sound receiver/amp
and an old TV in another room of the house. I use an APC UPS. It has work great for me and has saved my receivers when we have power outages
and the TV and the Dish receivers were on.

2. Joey 2.0 has a blank Mini Guide. My Joey 4K works find. I have rebooted may times. It is always empty.

All 3 of my Joey 2.0 boxes have the same problem. My install was last Friday so it is possible that it never worked. Is there any solution to this yet?

If they all have it and some does mine, then I am assuming it is a software issue. Just hope dish reads this list and then fixes it with an update. So far they seem to be reading these posts and fixing things slowly with updates.

All 3 of my Joey 2.0 boxes have the same problem. My install was last Friday so it is possible that it never worked. Is there any solution to this yet?

Yet an other Month has gone by . . .
Just want to remind Dish while they are busy working on the Recording and Over the Air issues that the Joey 2.0 and Joey 4K issues are also not fixed yet. I know we all focus on the Hopper software but please do not forget about the little Joey boxes.

Reactions: Rixos and jgags6
What sucks is that I use my TV that is connected to the 4K Joey the most, and because of that I can hardly watch OTA (bc of the pixilation) or take advantage of Netflix or Sports Bar Mode on my 4K tv. Just disappointing.

Reactions: Rixos
New Issue #9 (Joey 4K only)
-
After months of the Joey 4K guide working good, it lost all Guide info except for channels between 9999 and 9800 it would ONLY show one page worth.
Rebooting did not help. Changing Fav List did not help.
TEMP SOLUTION: clear all parental locked channels, the guide then returned to normal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)