Joey 4 Internet Connection Loss

BLC1962

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2022
Saint Charles MIssouri
Joey 4 has quit streaming three times today while wife was trying to watch Peacock streaming. Joey 4 has message stating the Hopper 3 has lost internet connection. The Hopper 3 has an internet connection (wired) and it is working fine. I have had to reboot the Hopper 3 each time in order to get the Joey 4 to work again. Seems to me it is after the Hopper 3 in the living room has been turned off for a few hours that this happens. Anyone else having this issue? FYI, on 343 software at the H3. Also, what is the drawback of settling the sleep timer of the H3 to never? Will I still get updates? And my last question is rhetorical, why can’t Dish get this sh*t fixed? Constant issues for the past 10 months since installation. 14 months and counting down on this contract if I last that long.

I have had this issue in the past as well. Its strange, internet works fine on the Hopper 3, and also on other Joey 4's at the same time. There was no rhyme or reason for it. Moca connections show as strong for all units.

I have had this issue in the past as well. Its strange, internet works fine on the Hopper 3, and also on other Joey 4's at the same time. There was no rhyme or reason for it. Moca connections show as strong for all units.
My symptoms exactly. Has happened off and on since having the system installed last September but yesterday it happened three times. Wife is done with trying to use the Joey for streaming. I ordered another Apple TV for the bedroom. Now comes the frustration of telling her she has to go back to using multiple remote controls which she hates doing and was why the Hopper +/Joey 4 was such an attractive option for us to start with.

My symptoms exactly. Has happened off and on since having the system installed last September but yesterday it happened three times. Wife is done with trying to use the Joey for streaming. I ordered another Apple TV for the bedroom. Now comes the frustration of telling her she has to go back to using multiple remote controls which she hates doing and was why the Hopper +/Joey 4 was such an attractive option for us to start with.
Is the Hopper connected to a modem or router or combo modem router? What is the make and model of your modem/router?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Is the Hopper connected to a modem or router or combo modem router? What is the make and model of your modem/router?The Hopper is not losing internet connection. The Joey falsely reports internet loss. FYI, it is connected via a Ubiquiti switch then a Ubiquiti gateway and Spectrum modem. An SMB grade install.

YES!!! Ubiquiti. This is why you're losing internet on your joeys. Go into the ubiquiti settings and turn OFF the threat scanner. I learned this a couple years ago with one of my customers.

Nothing. Your Ubiquiti router is fine, it just doesn't understand the hopper 3 and it's separate IPs for the joeys. It thinks it's a rogue gateway or something. Turn off the threat scanner and you're good.
Would these not just look like another endpoint? Is the Hopper doing something more than just passing the data off from the MOCA network to the Ethernet network? I assume they each have their own MAC address. I will look at my traffic history and see if I can see something there. I was assuming that it must be a communications issue between the Joey and the Hopper.

Thanks greatly! I will review it.
Thanks greatly! I will review it.

Interesting. I will look into this deeper. When I get the time I may end up creating an isolated network on my T-Mobile back up cell router to test this out. Sincerely Thanks!

I have an ASUS Wifi 6E Mesh system. I think I may have figured out what is causing the issue as it hasn't happened to me since I made this change on my router last week.

I had DNS Privacy Protocol turned on to DNS-Over-TLS (DoT) turned on. With this on I found other Internet Connected things were having issues, such as my garage door opener and my clothes dryer.

As soon as I turned it off and went back to regular DNS, everything started working and I have not seen a no ether connection message on my Joey's. Its been over a week now and knock on wood, its been good.

No time to mess with it right now. I’ll follow up after I do some reconfiguration and testing. Right now its back to the Apple TV 4Ks for reliable streaming.
"No time to mess with it right now"?????? It's been two weeks and all you had to do was flip a switch. 30 seconds.
Well, thanks for starting this thread seeking help, then doing nothing about it when people try to help you. I'll remember that for your next cry wolf lol.

I have an ASUS Wifi 6E Mesh system. I think I may have figured out what is causing the issue as it hasn't happened to me since I made this change on my router last week.

I had DNS Privacy Protocol turned on to DNS-Over-TLS (DoT) turned on. With this on I found other Internet Connected things were having issues, such as my garage door opener and my clothes dryer.

As soon as I turned it off and went back to regular DNS, everything started working and I have not seen a no ether connection message on my Joey's. Its been over a week now and knock on wood, its been good.
I've now successfully completed 6 service calls for this exact issue. No one wants to believe it's their expensive router, but it is. Nothing wrong with it, but configurations are necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts