Joey 4K and 4K Programming?

IMG_0569.JPG

4K and HDR are completely different things, unfortunately many people don't know that.
Okay, so the question still remains: why doesn't Dish have a 4K HDR Joey? While they are at it, how about a 4K Wally? Here is a really novel concept: how about a non-DVR 4K version of the Hopper Duo that would work with the 4K HDR Joey to provide 4K HDR to two TV's, without the monthly DVR fee? Such a system would be a good upgrade from the ViP222k.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Also unlike like previously the H3 will NOT downconvert channel 540 to allow viewing on a non 4k TV.
4K Events Discussion Thread
I posted in the linked thread.
All these 4kHDR H3/J4k error issues are artifically created by Dish software.
20180210_150755.jpg

I have H3 connected to 1080 tv.
I was able to create a timer for 4kHDR olympic program.
The 4k HDR program shows in dvr.
The program plays from dvr, down-converted on 1080 tv.
Dish superimposed grey window with error message box on top of playing video.

Okay, so the question still remains: why doesn't Dish have a 4K HDR Joey? While they are at it, how about a 4K Wally? Here is a really novel concept: how about a non-DVR 4K version of the Hopper Duo that would work with the 4K HDR Joey to provide 4K HDR to two TV's, without the monthly DVR fee? Such a system would be a good upgrade from the ViP222k.
How about a 4K HDR Wireless Joey!

Reactions: wa6rht and pattykay
Here's the release from Dish

The 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics air Thursday, 2/08/18 through Sunday, 2/25/18. Many customers will be interested in this event and may want to watch it in 4K HDR. DISH is one of the few providers offering the Olympics in 4K HDR. Here is how to help your customers view it!

The Olympics are available in 4K HDR with the following compatible equipment:
Hopper 3
4K HDR TV
4K HDR compatible HDMI cable

4K HDR programming can only be found on channel 147-05
•Content airs in 4K HDR10+ the next day on Ch 147-05
•No live 4K HDR feed
•4K Joey not supported, it is not HDR compatible, so it cannot view the feed
•4K HDR Takes up to 3x the amount of space on DVR compared to 1080 HD
•TV must be 4K HDR compatible with the proper HDMI cable to view, otherwise they will get an error message
•Will be about 8-10 hours each day

To put it in perspective, 5 days ago Dish didn’t have a 4K HDR Hopper! :)
That is not an excuse. Dish knew that the content was coming, so they should have had equipment in place that could handle it. Otherwise, they should have been more generous in allowing two-Hopper 3 setups, if Dish wanted each 4K HDR TV to have its own Hopper 3.

Here's the release from Dish

The 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics air Thursday, 2/08/18 through Sunday, 2/25/18. Many customers will be interested in this event and may want to watch it in 4K HDR. DISH is one of the few providers offering the Olympics in 4K HDR. Here is how to help your customers view it!

The Olympics are available in 4K HDR with the following compatible equipment:
Hopper 3
4K HDR TV
4K HDR compatible HDMI cable

4K HDR programming can only be found on channel 147-05
•Content airs in 4K HDR10+ the next day on Ch 147-05
•No live 4K HDR feed
•4K Joey not supported, it is not HDR compatible, so it cannot view the feed
•4K HDR Takes up to 3x the amount of space on DVR compared to 1080 HD
•TV must be 4K HDR compatible with the proper HDMI cable to view, otherwise they will get an error message
•Will be about 8-10 hours each day
The only addition I have is that channel 147-05 is also mapped down to channel 540.

Reactions: HipKat
on my hopper 3 it shows 540 147.05 KHDR but I cant watch it try to go too them tells me it cant show it. I can watch ppv in 4k

Is your TV HDR capable? 4K and HDR are two different things. This is the first HDR event Dish has ever shown. Now, if your TV is HDR capable, tell us about how you have the H3 wired to your TV. It might help if you tell us about what equipment you have, make, model number....

NBC made a mistake or was paid off by the HDR 4K TV manufacturers. They eliminated 80% of the 4K TV sets sold so far. Dish made more detractors than friends by accepting to broadcast in 4K HDR and not having enough time to test their rebroadcast. What a mistake to eliminate all 4K Joeys. Most other cable companies refused to broadcast in 4K HDR, only Cox did it.

Can you let us know as soon as possible if the replacement 4K Joey fixes your issue? I have same problem for my two 4K Joeys and after extensive troubleshooting with a super CSR, could not get them to show channel 147-05 & 540 in the guide. A DISH technician is scheduled for a visit. If your replacement 4K Joey does not fix the issue I will cancel the appointment. It appears there is not any 4K Joeys showing the channels in the guide.

Sorry for the delay - just got the receiver today. No luck at all... the new Joey did nothing for me and when I called dish back, they said they are aware of the issue and have their technicians and engineers working on - said to call back in 3 days.

Good thing I upgraded just in time to watch the Olympics in 4k.......!

Sorry for the delay - just got the receiver today. No luck at all... the new Joey did nothing for me and when I called dish back, they said they are aware of the issue and have their technicians and engineers working on - said to call back in 3 days.

Good thing I upgraded just in time to watch the Olympics in 4k.......!
The Olympics will not be available in 4K on your Joey, as it requires HDR, and the Joey does not support.

I call dish and they are sending me a new 4k joey and I bet it won't pick up 4k. my hopper is picking up the same event on 540 and some other channel like 412-42 or something I have forgot is in 4k

I call dish and they are sending me a new 4k joey and I bet it won't pick up 4k. my hopper is picking up the same event on 540 and some other channel like 412-42 or something I have forgot is in 4k
Your 4K Joey will pick up 4K just not HDR. They are two different things and 540, for the Olympics, is HDR. Your Hopper can do HDR and that is why you are able to watch 540 there.

Reactions: JSheridan

I can’t believe that Dish still has not informed their customer support about The 4K Joey’s inability to do HDR 4K. It has to be costing them money to sent out replacement units and schedule tech visits. You would think that this would be a priority to inform their customer support. They have stayed silent concerning the future of the 4K Joey. I still don’t understand why HDR caused this problem. Articles I have read said that the HDR flags should be ignored for non HDR equipment. Something was different about the Olympic HDR broadcast on Dish.

I have been doing some more research comparing HDR to SDR and have found that it is very hard to convert an HDR signal to SDR. So the earlier info that said that the HDR data is simply ignored must not be correct. It appears that several cable operators has similar problems to Dish. Comcast Xfinity is telling their customers that they need 4K UHD otherwise they will get 1080 HD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)