Joey 4K not compatible with 4KTV

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
In February, I was one of the first few to get the Dish Hopper 3 upgrade. I installed the Hopper 3 onto my 1080p plasma, but I also upgraded to a Joey 4K for my Panasonic TC-L65WT600 4KTV.

The only 4K that is available on the Joey 4K is through Dish OnDemand. I was able to watch some free TV shows (Defiance) in 4K without issue. The Joey 4K had an HDMI cable that ran directly to the TV (no surround sound receiver or anything).

Fast forward to today. I tried to pull up some more 4K content using Dish OnDemand and I am now getting this error from the Joey 4K:

25704530894_f433439cbf_b.jpg

I have contacted Dish and they didn't even have this error message in their troubleshooting logs. The have escalated it to the engineers.

Anybody else experiencing this?

In February, I was one of the first few to get the Dish Hopper 3 upgrade. I installed the Hopper 3 onto my 1080p plasma, but I also upgraded to a Joey 4K for my Panasonic TC-L65WT600 4KTV.

The only 4K that is available on the Joey 4K is through Dish OnDemand. I was able to watch some free TV shows (Defiance) in 4K without issue. The Joey 4K had an HDMI cable that ran directly to the TV (no surround sound receiver or anything).

Fast forward to today. I tried to pull up some more 4K content using Dish OnDemand and I am now getting this error from the Joey 4K:

25704530894_f433439cbf_b.jpg

I have contacted Dish and they didn't even have this error message in their troubleshooting logs. The have escalated it to the engineers.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Time to hook up component cables.

Yep, what Scott said. Your title is blaming the wrong device! :oldfrown Try component.

Great! So now, I have a 4K Joey, that I'm paying extra for (the whole reason I upgraded to Hopper 3 and Joey 4K) and it won't display 4K on my 4K TV. I recognize that it's the TV's fault, but this copy protection is a load of BS! :wtf:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

Great! So now, I have a 4K Joey, that I'm paying extra for (the whole reason I upgraded to Hopper 3 and Joey 4K) and it won't display 4K on my 4K TV. I recognize that it's the TV's fault, but this copy protection is a load of BS! :wtf:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

Can you update the firmware of your TV? I know my 5 year old Sony TV the firmware can be updated. Whether this will solve your HDCP problem I don't know but I would look into it.

As we used to say, "remove the radiator cap, wheel away the old car, wheel in the new model, and install the radiator cap"...

Is it possible for a consumer group to bring a class-action action suit against the association responsible for HDCP? ChetK bought a 4K TV with the intent to watch 4K content and it sounds like all it can do is watch free stuff. I'd be pretty peeved.

If 8K sets are going to require a new HDMI and HDCP, then they should not be able to sell anything until it's all ready as a unit. If the HDCP gets cracked then no updates that requires new hardware can be permitted.

Reactions: ChetK
Anyone who bought a 4k TV in 2013 or 2014 was naïve not to know that HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 had not been finalized and were not both included in their sets. I bought a non-compliant Samsung in 2014 because I knew that I could update the hardware to 2015 with an Evolution kit. I did that with the SEK3500 (with a great Black Friday deal) and now my TV is compliant and faster. Your beef should be with the TV manufacturers that did not provide an upgrade path.

Reactions: gblaue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)