Joey 4K w/ Netflix and Pip???

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
So I just hooked my 4K Joey back up and Netflix and the Pip still doesn't work on it???

I know these was a known problem in the beginning but I figured it would have been working by now

I have U479

Thank you in advance

They are supposedly still waiting on Netflix to certify the 4K Joey app before they can make it available...even after all this time.

PIP has reportedly been dropped and not likely to happen at all on 4K Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They are supposedly still waiting on Netflix to certify the 4K Joey app before they can make it available...even after all this time.
Netflix allows hardware makers to "self certify" equipment. Imagine Netflix having to test and certify every streaming box, every smart TV, every DVD/BD player, and so on out there - completely impractical. Plus, how much different can the 4K Joey be in comparison to the other Joey models that it works on ? Certainly not enough to be this much of a problem, one would have to think....

Unfortunately this is not true.

And the big issue they send the software to certification and a new update comes out which sends the certification back to the end of the line again. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Tampa8
So besides being able to have 4K on your tv through your Joey...Is there really any difference between the 4K and the other Joeys since there is no Netflix and Pip now

Maybe it's faster and more reliable??? Anything else???

Netflix allows hardware makers to "self certify" equipment. Imagine Netflix having to test and certify every streaming box, every smart TV, every DVD/BD player, and so on out there - completely impractical. Plus, how much different can the 4K Joey be in comparison to the other Joey models that it works on ? Certainly not enough to be this much of a problem, one would have to think....
Not as I understand it. Netflix and all those big services that use apps on STB's are in FULL CONTROL and THEY decide "certification" and ever aspect of it and it is "they" who decide to update or NOT update or KILL an API and thereby BREAK the app on a connected device like WD, Dish, TiVo, etc. The OTT's do NOT allow any alterations to their code, even after the OTT service BREAKS an app on a connected device. The OTT writes, and in any other way alters the code, never the connected device makers. It is all about waiting on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, et al.

It is really about both the OTT service and the connected device maker to have communication and cooperation, but if it is not Android (Amazon Fire uses Andorid forked, but still Android) or iOS or Roku (having a huge share of the market and using its own OS that is likely to cause Roku's eventual demise), it ain't on the OTT's to do list, so to speak. Dish is NOT the only connected device/STB maker to be WAITING on Netflix. And Amazon, et al. is the SAME monkey business. TiVo has been in the very same position Dish is in now regarding Netflix. TiVo has had to "deal" with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and a few more who just don't put a priority on such devices outside of iOS, Android or Roku because everyone else has such a small share of the market for their apps, and they don't need to be on TiVo or Dish. It is often the other way around.

There aren't that many connected devices out there that are of consequence--large enough share of the market--so, yes, contrary to your statement: "Imagine Netflix having to test and certify every streaming box, every smart TV, every DVD/BD player, and so on out there - completely impractical." But that is EXACTLY what and how they do it. This is why it is so inefficient at getting things to work or work as they should or provide additional features to each connected device maker in the market.

There can be tremendous differences among a TiVo, Dish, Roku or other connected device in regards to what OS the connected device uses (Java, Flash, Ubuntu, Haxe and more before we ever come to iOS, Android, and Roku who use its own OS) and the code that needs to be writtien for things to function as necessary and they way it should and adding features or upgrading to the newest UI can be a time consuming coders nightmare to address--and address per each connected device maker or OS.

This is one, although a few more, reason many connected devices NEVER seem to get updated when they should. Only the money makers of iOS, Android (includes Amazon Fire), and Roku get all the proper attention. In time, look for Roku to be put further down the list over time because app makers already have higher costs having to code for Roku when iOS and Android already cost enough in development. If Roku continues to use its own OS, it will get squeezed out over a few years. It is already happening, at a very small rate, but happening, nonetheless, mostly to the growing popularity of Fire TV.

Last edited:
Scott, I'm new to posting here and can't seem to get anyone to reply to my question about the removal of swap/add on the joey2. Here is my question again.

I just upgraded from a house with two Hopper with Sling receivers and 3 Joey 1s to a Hopper 3 with 4 Joey 2s.

I was VERY disappointed when I discovered that even though you now have 16 tuners on the Hopper 3, the Joey 2s don't have the ability to Swap and then Add another channel with available tuners. I used this feature a lot in order to watch multiple live shows on one TV and pausing between commercials and swapping to another live show and watching until its commercials start. Then I would repeat the process over and over.

I figured that having a hopper 3 with 16 tuners would only make this experience better as their would probably be enough tuners to swap as many channels as you want but as far as I can tell this feature of the Joey 1 has been completely eliminated on the Joey 2s with the new Hopper 3.

Can someone please explain why this existing feature was removed and if it is scheduled to be back in a future software update.

BTW, I figured out a combersome hack to sort of do this by using my dishanywhere app on my phone to start up different channels in different rooms and then I can use the Join option in the room I plan to watch to keep switching around between different live channels.. But its really annoying and shouldn't be the way to get this previous feature back.

Does switching my joey2s to 4K joeys help me here ?

Scott, I'm new to posting here and can't seem to get anyone to reply to my question about the removal of swap/add on the joey2. Here is my question again.

I just upgraded from a house with two Hopper with Sling receivers and 3 Joey 1s to a Hopper 3 with 4 Joey 2s.

I was VERY disappointed when I discovered that even though you now have 16 tuners on the Hopper 3, the Joey 2s don't have the ability to Swap and then Add another channel with available tuners. I used this feature a lot in order to watch multiple live shows on one TV and pausing between commercials and swapping to another live show and watching until its commercials start. Then I would repeat the process over and over.

I figured that having a hopper 3 with 16 tuners would only make this experience better as their would probably be enough tuners to swap as many channels as you want but as far as I can tell this feature of the Joey 1 has been completely eliminated on the Joey 2s with the new Hopper 3.

Can someone please explain why this existing feature was removed and if it is scheduled to be back in a future software update.

BTW, I figured out a combersome hack to sort of do this by using my dishanywhere app on my phone to start up different channels in different rooms and then I can use the Join option in the room I plan to watch to keep switching around between different live channels.. But its really annoying and shouldn't be the way to get this previous feature back.

Does switching my joey2s to 4K joeys help me here ?

PIP and SWAP have never worked on any Joey. (It was promised for the 4K Joey at release but never implemented.) PIP/SWEAP only work on "dual tuner" receivers and Hoppers.

Hopper 3 has a multi-view version of PIP that shows 4 channels live allowing you to switch rapidly between them.

All receivers and Joeys have previous channel recall and on Hopper, you can choose from a list of 4-5 previous channels. The RECALL button on the 40.0 and 52 remotes pulls up the previous channels mini-menu. The INPUT button will go directly to the previous channel. RECALL should work on Joeys also. Not sure about the INPUT function on Joeys. Previous channel functionality only uses a single tuner and you can't see the other channels live.

That is not true. Yes never had pip on joey1 with hopper with sling but I did have swap + add on it. That allowed me to flip back and forth between paused live channels as long as a free tuner was available. I could even swap between 3 channels with each using its own tuner and buffering as expected when paused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)