Joey Bluetooth Giveaway Details

Does this adapter go bluetooth to headphone jack? If so would it work w/ Hopper? Would it dovetail with the music service shown at the CES? Would be nice to play music thru stereo from the internet w/out having TV on? Something line an Apple TV / Roku connected to stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It plugs into USB port on Joey, and transmits audio wirelessly to Bluetooth headphones and/or speakers.
(I'm not sure if it also connects to a BT keyboard, mouse, or does BT file transfers.)

You wouldn't use it with a Hopper because the Hopper has BT built-in.

Scott - if you plug it into your PC, you may be able to tell which brand/model it is. That way, we don't necessarily need the official Dish-branded one, if we can just buy the same one from New egg, Amazon, Monoprice, etc. (Kinda like the wi-fi dongle.)
I agree. Someone please plug one into a PC to see if we can figure out what brand it is.

I tried one I have on my PC. Plugged it into the Joey but no luck. Maybe others with BT dongles on their PCs could try on a Joey to see if we can find one that works.

As a last resort, we can just wait and see if/when Dish decides to release to the general population. Can't be very expensive and I doubt that the ones Scott has are made to some obscure Dish design.

I agree. Someone please plug one into a PC to see if we can figure out what brand it is.

I tried one I have on my PC. Plugged it into the Joey but no luck. Maybe others with BT dongles on their PCs could try on a Joey to see if we can find one that works.

As a last resort, we can just wait and see if/when Dish decides to release to the general population. Can't be very expensive and I doubt that the ones Scott has are made to some obscure Dish design.
I plan on checking it on my PC, and posting results. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that plan.

Hey guys. Just want to clear up a few things for you.

1. The Joey Bluetooth Adapters are currently available through Dish Customer Service and on site during a technician visit. The price is $15 and can be added onto the bill.
  2. The Joey Bluetooth adapter will only work on the Joey. It is incompatible with ViP Series recievers and there are no drivers available for PC. I have tested this (And as a Dish Employee, I can tell you it was manufactured and designed in a way that the drivers are incompatible with generic Windows drivers.) It will recognize the Bluetooth capabilities but will not pick up or link to any devices.
  3. If there are any confirmed Bluetooth Dongles that work with a joey, please post it. However, with it being close sourced software on the Hopper system, I highly doubt any drivers will be on the system that aren't dish approved will be put on there.
As always, any and all information, comments or viewpoints posted are of a personal nature (and give no information that couldn't be figured out on your own). I am more then willing to help anyone but do not ask to provided confidential company information, as any such requests will not be granted.

Thanks guys and if you have any questions about anything with Dish let me know!

Reactions: dentke
It seems strange that they would go to such lengths to make it only work on a Joey and the software in the Joey such that
any BT dongle would not work.

That aside, the price is right anyway. I'm still not sure if I would use BT on the Joey. Will probably call for one for all those
'just in case' situations.

I just had another thought. Since all typical BT dongles, etc. normally work to around 30 feet, maybe this one from Dish will have a greater range. That would be nice. The OTA dongle for Hoppers seem to provide better reception than other devices used in other areas.

It seems strange that they would go to such lengths to make it only work on a Joey and the software in the Joey such that
any BT dongle would not work.

That aside, the price is right anyway. I'm still not sure if I would use BT on the Joey. Will probably call for one for all those
'just in case' situations.

I just had another thought. Since all typical BT dongles, etc. normally work to around 30 feet, maybe this one from Dish will have a greater range. That would be nice. The OTA dongle for Hoppers seem to provide better reception than other devices used in other areas.

Not really. Its just like any other device. If it has the drivers loaded, then the device will work. Im sure at some point, someone will get their hands on drivers that are compatible for windows but until then....

Got my free one in the mail. Thanks again Scott! Envelope had a hole in it but was not big enough for the dongle to fall out, thankfully. I think it must be the way the post office processes the envelopes in the machines because you can tell that it had issues where the thickness of the dongle was. Plugged it in and worked great with some pretty OLD BT headphones I had. When watching the nightly news wife looked at me kind of strange, asked how much it cost, when I said FREE from Sat Guys, she said great, glad you like your new toy. :)

My free one from Scott came yesterday. Thanks Scott. The envelop it came in looked ok but the USB end of the BT dongle was bent. I had to carefully bend it back into shape with pliers and a small screwdriver. It was a tight fit into the Joey USB port but it works ok. I need to check the range with my headphones. I know the built in BT in my HWS upstairs extends a good distance but my headphones don't pick it up downstairs.

Mine came yesterday also. I didn't open the bubble wrap till after I read the above post. Same thing here. usb end was slightly crushed. I've tried to bend it back. It fit into a usb hub that I had lying around. I haven't tried it on a Joey yet.
Again, theis type of envelope goes thru high speed sorting machines that seem to be crushing the dongle. My suggestion is to use a padded container to send them rather than a standard envelope.

I don't think it was the mailing machines, in fact a few of the people who posted they got theirs sent padded mailers and they got them bent too. As I mentioned the one I had (and sent to dwarren2) was bent when I took it out of the box that was given to me by DISH. I didn't think twice about it until you guys started saying yours was bent too. :)

Got mine in the mail today, in perfect shape. Maybe the "Fragile Please Hand Cancel" helped. Thanks Scott and SatelliteGuys.

Mine also came yesterday, in perfect condition. I used an envelope that was basically bubble wrap. Got it at Walmart for $ .69

It came right up, connected and worked perfectly. It's awesome.

Thanks Scott!

Finally received my adapter today. Unfortunally it does nothing on either Joey. Was well packaged and not bent at all. Guess there was a bad one in the bunch, and I got it. Thanks anyway to Dish and Scott. I will look to purchase one when they become available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts