Joey Comparison and Which Model is the Best?

DialgaChampion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
New York
Does anyone have a chart or something that compares the different versions/models of Joey receivers?

I have a H3 right now, and I'm thinking of getting a Joey for a second TV, but I'm a bit confused because I remember reading a while back that there were different models of the Joey, one of which works with the newest Hopper, while the other doesn't. I also know that the Super Joey won't work with it (not that it's needed anymore because of 16 tuners).

And then of course we have the 4K Joey. So basically what I want to know is ... what is the newest model of Joey that's currently available that works with the H3, and if there are multiple different Joey models available that work with it, what is the best one, or what are the differences between them in terms of specs, features, known bugs/glitches, etc.?

Does anyone have a chart or something that compares the different versions/models of Joey receivers?

I have a H3 right now, and I'm thinking of getting a Joey for a second TV, but I'm a bit confused because I remember reading a while back that there were different models of the Joey, one of which works with the newest Hopper, while the other doesn't. I also know that the Super Joey won't work with it (not that it's needed anymore because of 16 tuners).

And then of course we have the 4K Joey. So basically what I want to know is ... what is the newest model of Joey that's currently available that works with the H3, and if there are multiple different Joey models available that work with it, what is the best one, or what are the differences between them in terms of specs, features, known bugs/glitches, etc.?

For the Hopper 3 you have a Joey, Wireless Joey, and a 4k Joey. The only performance difference is that you can get 4K programming on the 4K Joey. The rest remains about the same. No need to have the 4K Joey unless you have two 4K TV's, one with the Hopper 3 and the other would need a 4K Joey.

The 4K Joey doesn't have Netflix working today so, if that is something you use at the second location, don't consider it....

Or - get it and consider using any number of other devices to watch Netflix at that location.

The only performance difference is that you can get 4K programming on the 4K Joey. The rest remains about the same.
You are suggesting that speed-wise, a 4K Joey and a regular Joey operate the same ?

No need to have the 4K Joey unless you have two 4K TV's, one with the Hopper 3 and the other would need a 4K Joey.
Sure there is - the 4K Joey is much faster and works just fine on a non-4K TV. If you have a regular Joey and upgrade your TV later to a 4K, you're effectively stuck with that Joey unless you pay (more) out of pocket.

You are suggesting that speed-wise, a 4K Joey and a regular Joey operate the same ?

Sure there is - the 4K Joey is much faster and works just fine on a non-4K TV. If you have a regular Joey and upgrade your TV later to a 4K, you're effectively stuck with that Joey unless you pay (more) out of pocket.
I've used a 4K Joey's connected to a Hopper 3, and compared to a Joey2 the speed difference isn't enough worth mentioning.
Compared to a Joey1, sure Night and day.

Reactions: ZachS@DISH
I have both a Joey 2 and a wireless Joey (Hopper 3 system) and the wireless one seems to be much more responsive and overall just works better than the 2. You have a small cost for the wireless access point (mine was $25) but the overall experience is better and you have the flexibility to move the Joey as you want. You just need a power outlet and a TV to connect to.

The software version - a Joey 1 has "U1xx" software while a Joey 2 has "U2xx".

I think this was what I was concerned about.

So from what you're saying, I could buy a regular Joey and I wouldn't actually know if it was a Joey 1 or a Joey 2 until I turned it on and checked the software version?

I think this was what I was concerned about.

So from what you're saying, I could buy a regular Joey and I wouldn't actually know if it was a Joey 1 or a Joey 2 until I turned it on and checked the software version?
There has to be a way because the Joey 1 isn't approved for use with Hopper 3. I checked a couple of on-line satellite receiver sites and they Specify "Joey 2". Some eBay listings don't specify but most specify Joey 2.

I think you'd be pretty safe buying any that specify Joey 2 and send it back if it turns out it's a Joey 1.

You might also contact DIRT and see if they can exchange your current Joey 1 for a Joey 2 without upgrading to Hopper 3.

Is the Joey4K supported with the HWS? I have Joey 1's and they are so slow. I may upgrade my hopper too, but it depends on the price.

Yes as long as your HWS has rhe new Carbon UI.
The arrival of the 4K Joey is where the multiple key press sequence came from. The sequence was created and then given to installers for cases where a customer has a non-Hopper 3 and adds a 4K Joey. I presume it has to be done before connecting that Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)