Joey connected by slingbox

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrizzi1

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
south bend
Here is the situation, I upgraded to a hopper with sling + 2 joeys last year. During installation, we realized one room did not have a coaxial cable connection. The installation tech said it would be impossible to run cable to the room, and ended up connecting the joey to he hopper via a sling connection. He mentioned to me that "this wasnt normal" but it has worked fine, so I never thought twice about it.

So, i came to ask, has anyone else done anything similar to this? And how many joeys do you think could connect via sling to the hopper? I have another room that doesnt have coaxial connection that i would like to put another joey in, I saw that I could do a wireless joey + adapter etc but it seems to me much cheaper to connect a joey using the sling

Anyways any opinions are welcome

A sling box or sling link?? Big big difference. I don't see techs giving away sling boxes and that wouldn't make sense for this anyways.

This is a possibility but not a supported one. It's just running through your home connection, which is a lot of data for a router to handle. Have you considered a wireless Joey?

Reactions: sethwell
its a hopper with sling but yes you are correct it is connected via a sling link

Today's Sling links or similar products do a very good job of transmitting the signal wirelessly. If it's working well I wouldn't change anything. However it is true a Wireless Joey would be what I consider the normal way to do it.

Reactions: ChadT41
so, can you have two sling links going at once to two separate joeys or do you think i will run into issues? wireless joey sounds great, but I thought I'd find out before spending $281.99 (what i was quoted for a wireless joey + wireless access point + a one time tech visit that i dont want)

a virtual joey would have worked as I have a PS4 but apparently they discontinued it?

Don't need a $95 tech visit, instructions come with access point, takes 5 min to set up. Bought WJ & Hub for less than Dish sells them for (Solid Signal sells new WJ for $69}. Got my wireless hub/access point from another customer on Amazon that was switching providers ($60 right now). Search around, might be able to find at a more reasonable price - if you own it then you can always resell. At the very least you can avoid the $95 service call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)