Joey connection via component?

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
So all of my hdmi ports on my tv died! It not my main tv, its the one the kids use. I think it must be the input board or something. Anyway, all 4 hdmi ports are dead along with 1 component. I have a joey connected to the tv. Is there anyway i can hook up the joey via component? Some type of adaptor ot something?

Depending on your wiring setup, it may be easier to switch Hopper and Joey. If only one Joey you can exchange coax for Hopper and Joey at the node. Otherwise, I am not familiar with a HDMI to Component adaptor, but have seen HDMI to VGA at several places including Radio Shack which may work if the tv has VGA input, you would need to run separate audio connections.

Monoprice has a hdmi to component coverter that works fairly well

Sent from my DROIDX

Monoprice has a hdmi to component coverter that works fairly well

Not anymore. Monoprice no longer carries any HDMI to other input converters. Not HDMI-composite, HDMI-component, or HDMI-VGA. I still see them on Newegg and Amazon though.

Depending on your wiring setup, it may be easier to switch Hopper and Joey. If only one Joey you can exchange coax for Hopper and Joey at the node. Otherwise, I am not familiar with a HDMI to Component adaptor, but have seen HDMI to VGA at several places including Radio Shack which may work if the tv has VGA input, you would need to run separate audio connections.

So thats my second question. I can swap the location of the hopper and joey. Right now my hopper is in my main room. Is there any reason why it needs to be like that? 1 have 2 ehd connected to it. Is there anything i can do on the hopper that cant be done on the joey. Also are there any issues with disconnecting the hopper. Does it need to be reconnected before the joey? Is it as easy as disconnect, unplug, reconnect, attach ehd, plug in?

So thats my second question. I can swap the location of the hopper and joey. Right now my hopper is in my main room. Is there any reason why it needs to be like that? 1 have 2 ehd connected to it. Is there anything i can do on the hopper that cant be done on the joey. Also are there any issues with disconnecting the hopper. Does it need to be reconnected before the joey? Is it as easy as disconnect, unplug, reconnect, attach ehd, plug in?
If you have the Joeys cascaded, this will not work. If you only have one, you should be able to exchange positions but you must also change the connections at the node as well. About the only thing that I find important (you may not) the Hopper does PIP while Joeys do not.

If you have the Joeys cascaded, this will not work. If you only have one, you should be able to exchange positions but you must also change the connections at the node as well. About the only thing that I find important (you may not) the Hopper does PIP while Joeys do not.

This is greek to me :) i have 2 joeys and a hopper. The node is in an accessable place. I have the protection plan, should i just have dish come out?

I am pretty handy when it comes to wiring. Can you explain exactly what it is i need to do? The node is in my home wiring distribution panel, so i have access.
There are a few different ways the tech could have installed, so you'll have to match up your installation with the one that's in the wiring diagrams.

Usually it will just involve swapping the hopper and joey cables on the node, but your installer could have used a tap or splitter making it somewhat less simple.

There are a few different ways the tech could have installed, so you'll have to match up your installation with the one that's in the wiring diagrams.

Usually it will just involve swapping the hopper and joey cables on the node, but your installer could have used a tap or splitter making it somewhat less simple.

In case of 1H+2J there is definitely tap or splitter somewhere. Maybe both, if you have only single line attached to a host output on a solo node.

This is what you're most likely looking for :
HFS2D_medlrg.jpg
or
images

Depending on which, there is different way to reconnecting the system after location swap.

In case of 1H+2J there is definitely tap or splitter somewhere. Maybe both, if you have only single line attached to a host output on a solo node.

This is what you're most likely looking for :
or

Depending on which, there is different way to reconnecting the system after location swap.

Thats what i have execpt its a 3 way splitter (with 1 of the outs capped off)

Thats what i have execpt its a 3 way splitter (with 1 of the outs capped off)

My family room line (hopper) is going into the node, and my loft and master are on the outs on the splitter. Is it just a matter of switching the loft line (new hopper location) and the family room line (current hopper location)?

Yeah, you got it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Cool. Is there a particular order i should follow when doing this? I.e disconnect ehd, power down, then disconnect. Power down joey, disconnect. Then rewire node and splitter. Reconnect hopper, attach ehd, power up. Connect joey, power up. Something like that?

Not really, all you are changing, from "system" point of view, are the cables, after all. Just connect Hopper first.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)