Joey Help

ripnbigc

Freeze Sucker!
Jan 11, 2006
Wichita, Ks
First off I have to say I love the Hopper, I couldn't see using another brand of DVR. With that said, I'm getting really tired of all the problems I've been having with the Joeys. They are completely unreliable. I never know when they are going to work. Dish has been to my house twice over the last three months, but I'm still having the same problems. Either they won't connect to the Hopper or they connect and work for about 12 seconds and then they go to the searching for Hopper error window. This repeats over and over again. Rarely, they'll work for hours with no problems. The worst part is all the time spent on the phone with Dish. Well, even worse is the wife bitching about it. Guess I have to go back on the phone again. Sheesh.

First off I have to say I love the Hopper, I couldn't see using another brand of DVR. With that said, I'm getting really tired of all the problems I've been having with the Joeys. They are completely unreliable. I never know when they are going to work. Dish has been to my house twice over the last three months, but I'm still having the same problems. Either they won't connect to the Hopper or they connect and work for about 12 seconds and then they go to the searching for Hopper error window. This repeats over and over again. Rarely, they'll work for hours with no problems. The worst part is all the time spent on the phone with Dish. Well, even worse is the wife bitching about it. Guess I have to go back on the phone again. Sheesh.

Some stuff that can affect Joey connectivity is the coax line from the Joey (Joeys) back to the node, and the line from the node to the Hopper. Did the tech use existing cable for that run? Did he use existing connectors, or replace them? While there was a software issue causing 1303/1307 issues a lot, that is supposed to have been resolved with a software update. Just saying, overall, the biggest issue with that type of error has been the cabling.

Could the Hopper be the problem and the Joeys are just a symptom? How many Joeys do you have and are they failing at the same time?

Last edited:
The existing cabling was not changed on during the install. It would be about impossible to change the cables, no access. I know they replaced some of the connectors, and the node on the second visit. The tech that came the second time seemed clueless. The system worked fine for several months before this issue started. Both Joeys exhibit the same symptoms. Don't know what difference it makes, but it always shows a good MOCA connection.

Well, I turned off bridging and so far so good. I'll give it a couple days to see if it's fixed. Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll let you know if it holds.

Well, I turned off bridging and so far so good. I'll give it a couple days to see if it's fixed. Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll let you know if it holds.

In searching through various forums, a member mentioned the HDMI-CEC can affect the MoCA. Since I disabled the CEC feature, my Joeys have been much more reliable. It is unfortunate because I really liked that feature. However, steady video is much more important.

Are you connected with ethernet to your router? If so, check network details menu and click if both wifi and ethernet display three goods. If so, go back in the wireless wizard and change the password to something incorrect and ensure the test fails. Once you verify only one connection, you should be able to enable bridging with no issues.

If you have more than one IP connection and bridging is enabled, you could experience linking problems, possibly black screens or freezing.

I used to try turning on bridging after every update, but now I have just given up. If I plug both Hoppers into my ethernet network, turn on bridging (only on the one Hopper connected), or use the HIC, all I have is problems. So I currently have one HWS plugged directly into my network and one Joey plugged directly in, the other Hopper and Joey are not attached to the network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)