Joey in another building

Lucky Chucky

Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
North, SC
I just built a shop and want to put dish in it from my hopper. It’s about a 250’ run. Any suggestions? Can I run Ethernet to the building and plug it directly to a Joey? Is there any way to run coax out and boost the sign?

Please dumb it down because I’m not a tech guy.

It can be done, but it's probably against Dish's terms of service.
Easier would be to use the Dish app on a Fire stick or similar. This assumes you have a hopper /w sling or Hopper 3. If not, now is a good time to ask for an upgrade to an H3.

I think this is OK if your shop is on the same property as your house.
Can I run Ethernet to the building and plug it directly to a Joey?

Yes you can. When you do that, and assuming you have the Joey already connected and activated via MoCA in your house, you will need to switch the network used from MoCA to Ethernet. I did this recently and it works great, at least over GigE.

Reactions: JSheridan
I think this is OK if your shop is on the same property as your house.

Yes you can. When you do that, and assuming you have the Joey already connected and activated via MoCA in your house, you will need to switch the network used from MoCA to Ethernet. I did this recently and it works great, at least over GigE.
I have a hopper 3 and it is connected to my internet through the wireless dish node. Would I plug the cable directly into my route or do I have to go back to the hopper?

I have a hopper 3 and it is connected to my internet through the wireless dish node. Would I plug the cable directly into my route or do I have to go back to the hopper?

I do not know what a wireless dish node is. But I think you can plug it directly into your router rather than the Hopper itself. That's what I did.

What is the bandwidth on your wireless dish node? On your router? My router and all switches are Gigabit Ethernet. My wireless component uses the Orbi mesh network.

Amazon product ASIN B01K4CZOBS

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan

At 1 time I had my joey plugged into the hopper with a cat5 cable, it worked without any problems. However it's not a supported setup so you'd be on your own if trouble arises. Cat5 is rated to 328 feet, imo it would be worth trying to get a joey in your shop.

I do not know what a wireless dish node is. But I think you can plug it directly into your router rather than the Hopper itself. That's what I did.

What is the bandwidth on your wireless dish node? On your router? My router and all switches are Gigabit Ethernet. My wireless component uses the Orbi mesh network.

We live in the country so our internet speeds are slower. My router is a gig though. The dish node I mentioned is actually a wireless access point. As you probably already know it communicates to the joeys and is connected to my internet also, both wireless. Since I need internet to the shop i am going to use a pair of Actiontec ECB6200’s to get it there. I’ll plug one end into my router in the house and the other to another router in my shop. Then I’ll plug the Joey into the router. Is that similar to what you did or am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance.

Since I need internet to the shop i am going to use a pair of Actiontec ECB6200’s to get it there. I’ll plug one end into my router in the house and the other to another router in my shop. Then I’ll plug the Joey into the router. Is that similar to what you did or am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance.

That setup with the Actiontec MoCA adapters is too complicated for me! What I did was use Ethernet. Are you going to run a coax between house and shop? If so, then that would probably work fine but I wouldn't add another router at the shop end since that would introduce another network. Just put an unmanaged switch there if you want other equipment there besides the Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)