Joey(s) won't power up

Found MoCA dBm readings. On the Hopper and Joey there are three readings. MoCA1 RxUc RxPower, MoCA2, and then MoCA3. Should all three read -40 dBm and less? How come the Wireless Joeys don't show these dBm readings in the View Counters? Good info thanks Troch77.
I have to go home and look at them.
It's just the Noise levels, and Acually I believe 45 or Higher is what is considered unacceptable.
And I'm guessing maybe it's the Wireless access port that would have the Moca noise not the wireless Joey
But also the WAP is directly connected to the Hopper.

Last edited:
The Hopper and Joeys actually talk to their paired remotes. They automatically back them up, etc. It is important to keep batteries in them as well as keep them charged....
I hadn't even considered this as an option. Very nice post Bobby...

Reactions: Bobby
Found MoCA dBm readings. On the Hopper and Joey there are three readings. MoCA1 RxUc RxPower, MoCA2, and then MoCA3. Should all three read -40 dBm and less? How come the Wireless Joeys don't show these dBm readings in the View Counters? Good info thanks Troch77.
Okay Yes that is the right one.
It should say the Moca Device ID, and every room maybe slightly different, that's normal,

But they Shouldn't be over -45 max dbs., now I've heard higher numbers are okay, But I had issues at -39.
Anything less then -30 db is Very good
And your TxUc and Rxc PHY rates should not be under 290000000 bps .
Now I was told this from the last Tech Supervisor this info, when he was doing a Installer audit.
Don't how accurate it all is , but based on what I've witnessed and changed it seems plausible.
So mine passed but barely.
That's when I started having issues about 2 weeks later with the Joey disconnects, the poor Netflix streaming.

All that has gone away since I changed a few steps and ran some Minor wiring.

Now as Far as the Wireless Joeys they are not technically using moca, they don't have a coax connection.

It should say the Moca Device ID, and every room maybe slightly different, that's normal,

But they Shouldn't be over -45 max dbs., now I've heard higher numbers are okay, But I had issues at -39.
Now I was told this from the last Tech Supervisor this info, when he was doing a Installer audit.
Don't how accurate it all is , but based on what I've witnessed and changed it seems plausible.
That's when I started having issues about 2 weeks later with the Joey disconnects, the poor Netflix streaming.

Now as Far as the Wireless Joeys they are not technically using moca, they don't have a coax connection.
OK, thanks

Some Dish receivers have built-in power line modems, Joeys do not. Surge suppressor power strips may interfere with internet access in some installations so it's on the Dish troubleshooting matrix.
Ding, Ding, Ding. That's the CORRECT answer. Otherwise, it's just bad practice to instruct customers to remove protection from their system. Most plug strips can in no way affect the "stability" of power flowing through them unless they are defective (bad switch or circuit breaker).

I've had my entire entertainment system on a UPS for decades without any issues relating to it's use.

Reactions: Troch77

My Moca 1 and 2 RX PWR were -14db and -12db respectively. The TxUc and Rxc PHY speeds were both around 293000000 bps.

The Joey has been problem free for a couple of days now.

The Joey has been working fine but as an experiment I tried pulling the batteries from the Dish remote again to see what would happen. It took a while but by the next morning the universal remote was not working to control the Joey again. I had to put the batteries back in the Dish remote to get both remotes working again. I then un-paired the Dish remote before removing the batteries and that seemed to work. The universal remote has been working for 4 days now.

Why am I doing all this you ask yourselves?? Well number one I like to test things but I also didn't want to leave batteries that could potentially leak in a remote that I would never use. Un-pairing seems to resolve the issue.

Wanted to pass this along.

Yes but the buttons on the Joey itself would also not turn it on.
Have you re-lamped any light fixtures or has the ambient lighting configuration (including dimmers) changed substantially in the vicinity of the Joey recently?

It is possible that the Joey is being confused by some stray light. This might also impact whether or not the Joey reacts to its own power switch.

If it goes nuts again, cover the IR sensor window and see if the the on-board power switch starts working. If it does, you've got IR interference.

I did change two dimmer controls in the kitchen months ago but didn't have any problems until recently. The Joey sits behind the tv but is visible at the bottom of the tv for IR to work. The kitchen lights do not directly hit the Joey.

From what I've been able to surmise from all of this is that when the remotes stopped working that also caused the Joey to lock up and not want to do anything. I know that I've had dead batteries or no batteries in my Dish remotes before with no problems so this has to be some new bug.

The Joey has been working fine but as an experiment I tried pulling the batteries from the Dish remote again to see what would happen. It took a while but by the next morning the universal remote was not working to control the Joey again. I had to put the batteries back in the Dish remote to get both remotes working again. I then un-paired the Dish remote before removing the batteries and that seemed to work. The universal remote has been working for 4 days now.

Why am I doing all this you ask yourselves?? Well number one I like to test things but I also didn't want to leave batteries that could potentially leak in a remote that I would never use. Un-pairing seems to resolve the issue.

Wanted to pass this along.
That is crazy. Anyone who uses a universal remote needs to be aware of that and I'll bet most are not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts