Joey to hopper Ethernet only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I know I read that it's possible to have a Joey connect to the hopper with Ethernet only and it works. I tried this yesterday by disconnecting the coax from the Joey and just leaving the Ethernet connected. After a few reboots and rediscovering the network settings on the Joey I got it to connect to the hopper and see channels.

However it says it can't get out to the Internet so my apps won't work. The Joey is connected directly to my router and gets an ip just like the hopper. The hopper can get to the Internet fine. Why can't the Joey??

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Ethernet connection should work but Dish does not support it. You should not have your Joey connected to a router. Joey gets internet from Hopper when in bridge mode.

Will the bridge mode allow it to access the hopper apps over Ethernet or is this just used with moca? Trying to eliminate the coax connection in our bedroom since the space behind the wall plate is quite cramped plus if we ever get a Joey in our kids rooms they only have Ethernet in their rooms for their rokus.

Thank you!

Edit: bridging is still on, on the hopper.

Will the bridge mode allow it to access the hopper apps over Ethernet or is this just used with moca? Trying to eliminate the coax connection in our bedroom since the space behind the wall plate is quite cramped plus if we ever get a Joey in our kids rooms they only have Ethernet in their rooms for their rokus.

Thank you!

Edit: bridging is still on, on the hopper.
It SHOULD work no differently than if connected via coax. But again, disconnect the Joey from your router.

How else will it communicate with the hopper for watching tv? The Ethernet connection currently is the only way that it's connected to the hopper

How else will it communicate with the hopper for watching tv? The Ethernet connection currently is the only way that it's connected to the hopper

Well maybe I don't quite understand. You have your Hopper connected to internet, right? The joey connected to Hopper via ethernet cable, yes? Remember, the Joey is just at "station" for the Hopper. Internet connections are made on the Hopper, and viewed on the Joey. The only difference in your case is the cable between the two.

Ethernet connection should work but Dish does not support it. You should not have your Joey connected to a router. Joey gets internet from Hopper when in bridge mode.
You're missing the point, the joey MUST be connected to the router because the ethernet connection is being used to connect to the Hopper not MOCA.

Well maybe I don't quite understand. You have your Hopper connected to internet, right? The joey connected to Hopper via ethernet cable, yes? Remember, the Joey is just at "station" for the Hopper. Internet connections are made on the Hopper, and viewed on the Joey. The only difference in your case is the cable between the two.
The cable between the two is the ethernet network that is connected to the internet not a separate ethernet cable between the Hopper and Joey.
Internet connections do NOT need to be made to the Hopper and use bridging, I use a direct internet connection to each Joey and do not use bridging (never have) because when the Hopper was first released there was no such function as bridging each device needed its own connection for the internet so I have always kept it that way.

Reactions: TheKrell
No, I think you are missing mine. If the TS's Hopper is connected to internet, a straight ethernet cable connection from Hopper to Joey should work.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...cate-via-ethernet-as-opposed-to-cable.283866/
Most ethernet wiring usually goes from the router/switch to the desired destinations so in most cases there will not be a second ethernet wire that runs from the Hopper location to the Joey location therefore the connection must go to the router/switch first.

Most ethernet wiring usually goes from the router/switch to the desired destinations so in most cases there will not be a second ethernet wire that runs from the Hopper location to the Joey location therefore the connection must go to the router/switch first.
So are you saying an Ethernet cable from the Joey to one of the Hopper's two Ethernet ports and then the Hopper to router can be either Ethernet or wireless? Will everything work on the Joey? I understand DISH doesn't support this type of setup but interesting if everything works ok.

Probably so that it could be simultaneously connected to a wired home network for Internet AND a Wireless Joey Access Point, which has to connect via one of the Hopper ethernet ports.
I knew about that and the new Ethernet way to transfer EHD stuff but I did not know about Ethernet cable connection between the Hopper and Joey.

Looks like it's all working now with just the Joey connected via ethernet to the router, just like the Hopper. I guess it took a reboot of the Hopper for it all to work and allow both Dish channel watching as well as apps like Netflix work. I was surprised to see the Netflix app on the Joey require a login. I thought it would just use the existing login that the Hopper uses.

Thanks everyone!! We may be upgrading that TV that the Joey is on to a 4K so there may be a 4k Joey in our future. Glad to know that I can move the current Joey to my office and just connect it to the existing switch I use there for my work laptop and home desktop.

Almost impossible to get a coax line or Ethernet cable from the Hopper in the basement to a Joey on the 3rd floor, where we want it. Would a powerline adapter work? Local knowledge says the TPLink powerline adapter family works well for all normal Ethernet functions at Cat5 speeds. We have WiFi throughout the house; router is currently on the main floor, with about a 40dB loss to the far reaches of the basement, and a 30dB loss to the top floor. Router will soon be on the top floor, not sure how signal will look throughout the house when it's moved.

Reactions: Tylorert
Almost impossible to get a coax line or Ethernet cable from the Hopper in the basement to a Joey on the 3rd floor, where we want it. Would a powerline adapter work? Local knowledge says the TPLink powerline adapter family works well for all normal Ethernet functions at Cat5 speeds. We have WiFi throughout the house; router is currently on the main floor, with about a 40dB loss to the far reaches of the basement, and a 30dB loss to the top floor. Router will soon be on the top floor, not sure how signal will look throughout the house when it's moved.

From experience with a hopper with sling and a joey, it will work Ethernet to Ethernet connection. As for power line, I'm not quite positive about it. It's worth a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts