Joey Versions

According to some of the retailer releases I've seen it looks like they are giving each receiver official names. Here is a list.

Hopper 1
Hopper 2 (was called Hopper with Sling or HWS)
Hopper 3
Joey 1
Joey 2
Wireless Joey
Super Joey
4K Joey

The Virtual Joey has been discontinued.

According to some of the retailer releases I've seen it looks like they are giving each receiver official names. Here is a list.

Hopper 1
Hopper 2 (was called Hopper with Sling or HWS)
Hopper 3
Joey 1
Joey 2
Wireless Joey
Super Joey
4K Joey

The Virtual Joey has been discontinued.
Thanks, this will be a big help.

No Super Joeys allowed.

If you have an original Joey, i.e. Joey 1, and Dish installs your Hopper 3, they will replace the Joey 1 with a Joey 2. There's no indication that the Joey 1 won't physically work, it's just that it's really, really slow, especially in comparison to the Hopper 3. They don't want a poor experience when switching between them.

Wireless Joey is fine too.

I have the wireless Joey, and its fast, just as fast as my super Joey. The furthest WJ is about 65' from the access point and it still gets good signal.

How many versions of the Joey are there and how do they compare in speed?

I currently have a 2 HWS + 2 Joey setup. I want to get the new Hopper 3 when available but my main concern is the speed of Joeys. If the Joeys are still slow with the Hopper 3 then I might be happier sticking with my 2 HWS setup so both of my primary TVs work fast.

I think I have the "original" Joey. I thought I read once there is a "version 2" of this Joey that is faster. I also know there is the wireless Joey, 4K Joey (is it even released yet) and Super Joey. Are all of these Joeys slow or is there some combination that works best?

Edit: Just remembered the Virtual Joey.

I wanted to know the answer to this Question also. I have HWS, a Super Joey and what I have now found to be a Joey 1.0. When I do something like editing a timer or even just scrolling threw the guide on the Super Joey it seems pretty close to as fast as doing it on the hopper, on the joey 1.0 these functions are as slow as molasses.

So what processor and speed are the various Joeys. Here is the best info I can find.

4K Joey;
Broadcom, BCM 7448 CPU, can't find MGHZ, source broadcom.com

Super Joey;
Broadcom, BCM 7346 CPU, 1305 MGHZ, source Dishnetwork press release

Wireless Joey;
Broadcom, BCM 7418 CPU, 900 MGHZ, this thread

Joey 1.0;
Broadcom, BCM 7340 CPU, 405 MGHZ, source dishuser.org

Joey 2.0;
Cant find info

So what am I going to do? I am going to wait for the 4K joey that was to be released in Q2 of 2015 per a dish press release and upgrade to a H3 and two 4k joeys not because I need the 4K but because I am sure the 4K joeys will be faster than any of the other joeys. Even if they end up costing a buck or two a month more I am ok with that.

If anyone can add to or correct the info above please do

Not yet available. It needs the new UI which has not been released for the H3. The H3 needs the new UI which is in testing as we speak.

But is it even available? I was under the impression it has still not been released even though it was announced long before the hopper 3

Who knows any more? The Hopper 3 isn't even released yet but there are members here who already have it in their homes.

Hopper 1 = 1700 DMIPS; 750MHz Broadcom 7420; source forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hopper%20with%20Sling%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf
Hopper 2 w/sling = 3000 DMIPS; 1300MHz Broadcom 7425; source forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hopper%20with%20Sling%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf
Hopper 3 = 21,000 DMIPS; 1.5GHz; Broadcom 7445 source about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/dish-releases-hopper-3-customers-nationwide
Joey 1 = 1100 DMIPs; 405MHz Broadcom 7340; source forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hopper%20with%20Sling%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf
Joey 2 = information not available at this time
Wireless Joey = 2000 DMIPS; 900MHz Broadcom BCM7418; source about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/dish-energizes-hopper-platform-giving-customers-ability-record-i
Super Joey = 3000 DMIPS; 1305MHz, Broadcom BCM7346; source about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/dish-energizes-hopper-platform-giving-customers-ability-record-i
4K Joey = 7000 DMIPS; ?MHz Broadcom BCM7448; source dish.com/4k-joey/

Key to look at in those numbers is the DMIPS, not the clock speed. I think all of the models were single-core CPUs until the Hopper 3, which is a quad-core. It processes 7x the # of instructions per second yet only appears to be 200 mhz faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts