Joeys losing contact with Hopper . . .

bellevuecoug

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Earth
Not a problem I'm having but parents are. Intermittent loss of connection with Hopper and takes quite a while (10 minutes plus) to reconnect.

I did a number of forum searches on this and the main issue I see is that the coax may be the issue (I understand it needs to be RG-59 to the Joeys but RG-6 to everything is preferred). I have NO IDEA what is in the walls.

What is confusing to me is that when I look at the network, the 'MOCA' connection looks pretty heathy (all green). Would a cabling issue show itself here or is it one of those deals where you would not see it except in performance? Also, if Dish did the install and gave it the AOK, who is on the hook to make sure the cable was ok? Customer or Dish? (Who pays to fix it?)

On Dish forum other customers are complaining about same thing, seems to be latest Joey software update making it lose signal.
Another one of those "known issues".

On Dish forum other customers are complaining about same thing, seems to be latest Joey software update making it lose signal.
Another one of those "known issues".

Thanks - just went over to dish.com and checked the forum and yep, it is exactly the same issue as other people are having. Appears to be unique to the original Hopper and the software updates that went out in late December and in January.

Dish needs to fix it, hopefully "soon".

Only have had my 2 HWS / Joey since December 20th. After initial setup, was working good. Started having multiple issues with one of the HWS / Joey. Everyday I would try a myriad of searched troubleshooting solutions......red button reset, hard reset, making sure bridging was on, reset network etc..etc.. nothing was making the settings stick. :mad:

For the past week or so, everything has settled down, I've only see this once or twice in this period. What I did was enable bridging in the other HWS only (I was trying to enable bridging on both, till I found out, only one needs to be enabled :rolleyes:).

I will reset network 1st, if that doesn't work then 2nd I reset my router. Usually the 1st attempt works. Whole System has become stable before the last update. I was hoping nothing major would evolve....;).

Both HWS show wireless in "Network Setup" and the Joeys' show MoCa in theirs, When I look in Whole-Home icon I make sure the correct Joey is linked to the correct HWS. Of course I also have all green in the MoCa strength.

I do have to admit this was driving me nuts, because things weren't happening across the board to everyone else.:popcorn

The HWS / Joey that I was having issues with has all new R-6 cabling , done at install . Installer made those decisions :D , he changed the barrel on the outlet to a higher impedance ?? on one of the HWS >> The HWS / Joey that I wasn't having issues with, both have R-59 going them ....Go Figure ??

Good Luck
Steve

+1 for this problem on really only ONE of our two Hoppers. Yes, seems like every other day and night. May be fine for 24 hours, but then it keeps searching for the Hopper. I have found the only thing that will fix it is rebooting the Hopper. Fine for one day, but then it happens again the following evening. This is really starting to annoy dear old mom. Has having the Joey or Hopper replaced solved this issue for anyone? Mom may not have the patience to wait for Dish to fix this. Meanwhile, my Hopper and Joeys rarely lose each other. Far more reliable for me.

This is a daily occurrence for us on both our Joeys. It was occurring on an infrequent basis before the last update. Very frustrating!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

+1 for this problem on really only ONE of our two Hoppers. Yes, seems like every other day and night. May be fine for 24 hours, but then it keeps searching for the Hopper. I have found the only thing that will fix it is rebooting the Hopper. Fine for one day, but then it happens again the following evening. This is really starting to annoy dear old mom. Has having the Joey or Hopper replaced solved this issue for anyone? Mom may not have the patience to wait for Dish to fix this. Meanwhile, my Hopper and Joeys rarely lose each other. Far more reliable for me.

I would check to see if bridging is enabled on her hopper if you can. If so, disable it and see if it makes a difference.

I would check to see if bridging is enabled on her hopper if you can. If so, disable it and see if it makes a difference.

I shall check that and let all know. Thanks.

EDIT: I just checked and Bridging WAS and IS DISABLED. Any new ideas or is it a case of luck of the draw and we either have to wait for a fix (this has happened to me before with other boxes: just my luck, and then they fix it with a software download: one of those "SOME boxes experience . . .") or has anyone had luck with just having Dish replace the Joey and/or the Hopper itself? Again, any ideas? Mom is getting pretty steamed about how frequently her Joey loses her Hopper :).

Last edited:
I think your problem is with IP addresses. Whenever your router reboots and assigns new IPs, the Joeys have a hard time finding their Hopper--even though MoCA is being used. I resolved this issue some time ago by changing to a Cisco router that allows me to reserve IPs for each of my two Hoppers and four Joeys. Since then, the issue has gone away. Joeys always know where the Hoppers are by IP.

I think your problem is with IP addresses. Whenever your router reboots and assigns new IPs, the Joeys have a hard time finding their Hopper--even though MoCA is being used. I resolved this issue some time ago by changing to a Cisco router that allows me to reserve IPs for each of my two Hoppers and four Joeys. Since then, the issue has gone away. Joeys always know where the Hoppers are by IP.

It is also a got idea to reserve IP printers too. My printers would go crazy till they got to keep the same IP address. I use reserve IPs for all my printers, Hoppers, Joey, Xbox, couple TVs, and my external Slingbox. Never have any issues with them.

It is also a got idea to reserve IP printers too. My printers would go crazy till they got to keep the same IP address. I use reserve IPs for all my printers, Hoppers, Joey, Xbox, couple TVs, and my external Slingbox. Never have any issues with them.

I do that as well, but since the topic was Joeys looking Hoppers I did not mention that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts