Joeys Pixelating Bad on SD Sports

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Setup is WA, wifi connected hws, hopper & 2 joeys. Has been an ongoing problem for some time. Both hoppers have been replaced previously, new lnb & node today. Also hopper & joey has been swapped around. Bridging enabled & disabled.

Still the same result with bad pixilation on joeys. Sd channel on 140 espn is the worst, does not do it on the hd version. It only affects sd, not hd. Also bringing up the guide on a sd channel is almost a sure way to pixelate the preview in the upper corner of guide.

The problem seems to be sd channels only & as odd as this sounds the action part of a sports show. Players on the court or field running etc. 2 joeys linked to different hoppers & different tvs with same exact problem.

Moca is good, all 4 lines are homeruns back to the node. No splitters, taps or other components. Longest run from lnb to farthest receiver is 75’ or less.

On the hopper & the linked joey both tuned to the sd version of 140 espn there is a noticeable delay on the joey. At least by 2 secs, they were definitely not in sync. The hd version was almost identical on both.

Any thoughts? Known issue or something else?

Try doing a Joey reset. Last weekend I noticed really bad pixelaton, like with a really poor satellite signal. The Hoppers were all good and the moca was perfect. Couldn't even watch a recorded show. I did a reset and no more problems.

After the node & lnb were swapped everything was reset, still the same problem.

I have found that almost all SD channels look bad with sports (on any receiver) because of fast moving action. The SD channels are compressed too much to keep up with fast movement. Why would you watch 140 ESPN in SD when it is available in HD ?

Why would you watch 140 ESPN in SD when it is available in HD ?

Good point. It is not my system, just helping out on this 1.

HD tag was not on account, it is now. 1 tv with joey is a standard tube set & rsn's are hit/miss when it comes to hd.

Imo it should play fine whether it's hd or sd.

Disconnect all Internet connections and go in and enter a wrong password on WiFi wizard and verify 2x by entering and exciting broadband menu, that WiFi is showing disconnected and no ip connection is present. That should clear it up. That issue has been reported by others and it appears to be isolated to your area, and if I recall correctly, every single one was fixed by removing the second Internet connection which the customer and installer thought was not present. Two IP connections causes this. I would also disable bridging to be safe while testing.

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41
Disconnect all Internet connections and go in and enter a wrong password on WiFi wizard and verify 2x by entering and exciting broadband menu, that WiFi is showing disconnected and no ip connection is present. That should clear it up. That issue has been reported by others and it appears to be isolated to your area, and if I recall correctly, every single one was fixed by removing the second Internet connection which the customer and installer thought was not present. Two IP connections causes this. I would also disable bridging to be safe while testing.

Thanks for replying, you are the undisputed hopper expert.

After internet is disconnected then what? Can I reconnect wifi on hws & then re-enable bridging. What will prevent this from happening again?

How is this isolated in my area & not others?

I think it has something to do with a misunderstanding of how the system works and the issues surrounding two IP connections and the tech in that area, or something. I believe most reports of this have been in the rapid city local market. So to me, it sounds like a training opportunity or some bad info bring passed around etc.

Disconnect all ip connections and disable bridging, see if issue goes away. If so, connect one Hopper to Internet and enable bridging. Do not connect the other Hopper or enable bridging on it

Disconnect all ip connections and disable bridging, see if issue goes away

1 other question...if the issue disappears after doing this. Reconnecting the wifi..... Would it be better to enable bridging on the hws to feed the regular hopper & joeys or use a wifi stick on the 2nd hopper? Bridging enabled for joey access or not?

Thanks

Here is an update.

Upon arrival the 1st thing I did was tune to 140 sd. Pixelating was almost immediate, so I recorded a short video to show just how bad.

The pic below shows joey moca...

20141210_124141.jpg

I went to hws, disabled bridging, then onto wifi wizard. Entered wrong password twice then reset both hoppers & joeys.

After it came back on I watched it for about 15 minutes. During that time there was a brief 1-2 second breakup. Reconnected wifi & enabled bridging. Watched it for an hour, it never skipped a beat during that time. Another thing that was very noticeable is the joey became a lot more responsive after the reset.

My concern is what made it happen to begin with & will it return.?.?.?

Did notice wifi signal going to hws is only 49. Is that a problem?....also is it causing the hws to reset network settings making it to pull 2 ip's?

How can you tell if it is pulling 2 ip's? The screenshot below shows the status afterwards.

20141210_125554.jpg

Hit the red button and look at ethernet top and bottom and make sure you don't see green OKs.

WiFi should be fine as long as you keep it above 40.

It shouldnt happen again, so long no one manually sets up a second connection. I'm sure someone hooked up a connection on each hopper or hooked up WiFi then ethernet later on or something. May have been an installer.

You kind of lost me lucky86, can you elaborate please.

Ok I gotcha...even though there is no physical ethernet hooked to the hws...I assume you're saying that is how to see if it is pulling 2 ip's? Ethernet & wifi at the same time.

How can this be prevented?

Correct.

Did your Hopper have a USB WiFi adapter connected to it?

Without knowing more specifics it's hard to tell how it happened. But it should not happen again, so long as the Hopper isn't connected to the Internet via WiFi or ethernet and the HWS remains WiFi connected and no ethernet is connected. If you ever decide to hook up ethernet instead, you must verify that the old WiFi connection is no longer showing connected.

Reactions: stardust3
Did your Hopper have a USB WiFi adapter connected to it?

Yes it did...but does not now. Only the hws is wifi connected with bridging enabled.

4 different dish techs have been trying to fix this & insist on the wifi adapter being hooked to the hopper. That is another story/nightmare which I won't even get into.

Yep, that was the issue. Now that you have one connection only, there should be no issues.

That's why I think this issue is isolated to your area, techs aren't getting the message. I know for sure there has been communication about this issue many times, so I'm not sure where the breakdown is and why it keeps happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)