John MacArthur rejects traditional Christian TV

JeffH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
John MacArthur of Grace to You radio program (heard on Bott, Moody and Sacred Favorites) is beginning a new television ministry exclusively on DirecTV's NRB channel. Read why he has not entered Christian television thus far:

http://gty.org/resources.php?section=issues&aid=231245

I wonder if this means his program will never air on Sky Angel? I hope that this is not the case, as I really enjoy and learn from his radio program which I listen to exclusively on Sky Angel. I'm sure TBN wouldn't want John MacArthur anyway, but I'm sure Sky Angel would welcome his television ministry. If you would like to see MacArthur's program on one of Sky Angel's channels, please contact Grace to You and let them know.

Jeff

I have never listened to John MacArthur's program and I have never heard of him. But I read the statement on his website pretty much saying that he has rejected going on Christian TV because of corruptness among Christian channels. I am kind of shocked at that statement. Though it is somewhat true by what he says. There are some Christian TV channels that have shady reputations. TBN comes to mind and I so wish Sky Angel did not add that channel. But there are other channels on Sky Angel such as Faith TV, TLN, Safe TV or even Angel 1 and 2 that would have been fine for his program. He doesn't mention TBN by name but you can tell he sure was thinking of TBN. I have blocked TBN and Familyland from my system because I believe both channels have corrupt teaching and beliefs. But I think that he easily could of had his program on one of the other channels on Sky Angel.

If you want to listen to Grace to You some time, tune into Bott ch 9781 at 7:30am or 10:00pm (also Sacred Favorites ch 9771); or Moody at 10:30pm (all times eastern). A series on election begins this coming Monday.

I think FaithTV, TLN as well as Angel 1 would be great channel choices. I doubt that SafeTV would be interested being more of an Adventist channel.

I never watch TBN, and only old series and movies on FL.

Let me know what you think of Grace to You www.gty.org

Another interesting web site http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com and post http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/archives/2006/09/_the_primetime_1.php

Jeff

JeffH said:
I doubt that SafeTV would be interested being more of an Adventist channel.

I did not know that Safe TV was a Seventh Day Adventist channel:eek: From what I have watched on it (and I don't watch it all of the time) I have not seen an Adventist slant. It seems to be more general programming and not as much religious programming as others have. But I will listen to John MacArthur's show and see what's he's like:)

SafeTV is not officially an Adventist channel but it is run by people who belong to the Seventh-day Adventist church. About the only time one will see Adventist programing is on Friday evening and Saturday. They try to serve more than just the Adventist community. One of their programs, America Talks, has at least a couple of guys on it that are not Adventist.

Help!!! My satellite technician is having a difficult time getting a good strong signal with my 8 foot C-Band dish. I am located in the Vancouver, B.C. Canada area and am truly desperate to receiving Faith TV. I was once a happy recipient of it while it was located on a diffedrent satalite [AMC-1] Kindly help me!! I long to have this cahannel again. Thank you!

It was announced on today's Grace to You (Bott ch. 9781) that their television program will be carried on other networks as well as the NRB channel. I'm sure they will be on at least one Sky Angel channel; this is very good news.:up :)

Jeff

It was announced on today's Grace to You (Bott ch. 9781) that their television program will be carried on other networks as well as the NRB channel. I'm sure they will be on at least one Sky Angel channel; this is very good news.:up :)

Jeff

Isn't that "selling out" in some ways then? :)

While I don't like a lot of "Christian TV" these days, I find such criticisms are usually a bit hypocritical. ("Everyone is wrong, except for me!")

While you can easily can cynical as you get older, you can also see a lot more humor in things....

Brad

Brad, I don't think he is "selling out" at all. He is being very careful with whom he aligns his program with. There are Christian networks that would be in line with his teaching style (TLN & Faith TV being two of them). However there are others that allow programs to be on their network that one has to take a stand and say this is false teaching and I will not be a part of it. If his program was to aired next to a Benny Hinn type of "preacher" then it would appear that he endorses that preacher's doctrine as well.

I believe that as you mature in your Christian faith you are able to determine those who seek to build God's kingdom from those who seek to build their own kingdom. This is not judging others but Biblical discernment that Paul the Apostle taught because he too battled against false teachers.

I hope you get a chance to listen to John MacAthur's program or read one of his books to see what a wise teacher God has gifted him to be (and there are a lot of other out there too). I wish the world could see what true Biblical teaching sounds like. I see so many people complain on this site whenever a new religious channel is launched. They are disliked as much as shopping channels. I believe that's the case because people want the complete truth and not a slick sideshow pretending to be the truth.

Wayne

I have listened to him a fair bit Wayne. I find his justification for extreme Calvanism to be very lacking, but most of what he says is reasonable. And it is why I note the irony. He has some beliefs I consider very detrimental and incorrect, but I am not all that worried about it.

In the same manner, others have stretched their beliefs as well. I don't listen to most of them, but I am not going to set myself up as the arbirtrer. God is more than capable of taking care of His Church, something many don't seem to really believe. :)

In fact, I have some serious issues with some preachers, but it is more on the extremes, including John MacArthur at times. I believe the Word, not man's interpretations and explanations. When someone varies I find other things to do with my time. Only if they are preaching "another Jesus" do I even say anything. Many labeled as such are nowhere near that. Though I would probably be considered a heretic by some because I really believe what is written. :)

Brad

I have listened to him a fair bit Wayne. I find his justification for extreme Calvanism to be very lacking, but most of what he says is reasonable. And it is why I note the irony. He has some beliefs I consider very detrimental and incorrect, but I am not all that worried about it.

In the same manner, others have stretched their beliefs as well. I don't listen to most of them, but I am not going to set myself up as the arbirtrer. God is more than capable of taking care of His Church, something many don't seem to really believe. :)

In fact, I have some serious issues with some preachers, but it is more on the extremes, including John MacArthur at times. I believe the Word, not man's interpretations and explanations. When someone varies I find other things to do with my time. Only if they are preaching "another Jesus" do I even say anything. Many labeled as such are nowhere near that. Though I would probably be considered a heretic by some because I really believe what is written. :)

Brad

What teaching on Sky Angel (both television and radio) do you believe to be most Biblical? Please be specific as to program or teacher.

I think Grace to You with John MacArthur; Word Pictures from CrossTV and Way of the Master (both radio and TV) to be the most Biblical.

Jeff

What teaching on Sky Angel (both television and radio) do you believe to be most Biblical? Please be specific as to program or teacher.

I think Grace to You with John MacArthur; Word Pictures from CrossTV and Way of the Master (both radio and TV) to be the most Biblical.

Jeff

Andrew Womack is pretty good. Francis Frangipan also has some good teaching.

John MacArthur is too much into extreme Calvanism. I can't reconcile a God who micromanages everything with one who notes that we need to "choose this day" whom we will serve.

I will leave it up to you if you think otherwise though. I won't argue the issue. :)

Perhaps we are both just destined to believe the way we do anyway. :D

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)