John Malone and low negotiation prices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zellio2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
This is about John Malone and Nascar hotpass.

If you read it says Nascar wanted too much money. Some people could consider that as D* doing the right thing in an economy slump, but the real truth is John Malone is a terrible negotiator who expects other places to make the price low and give him incentives.

John C. Malone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The guy is nicknamed 'Darth Vader', and he demands either money or partial ownership in return for carrying programs.

In other words, Nascar Hotpass is only the FIRST sports network that will die thanks to the CEO. Wait until MLB comes to get the signal carried, wait until NFL comes to renew. None of the major sports businesses will even so much as consider letting Malone have money or ownership. When this CEO leaves, all D* will lead in is HD PPVs.

First of all Directv is not totally getting rid of Hotpass. They are going to rework it and make it free for customers. They are doing it because there is not enough customers who watch it, and it's not worth it for them

Second of all, Wikipedia is not always true. I don't feel this is totally true. It is most likely that this is opinion and NOT fact.

Also Malone probably didn't make this decision. It was most likely a joint effort to decide about what to do with Hotpass. Yes, they do want to make money and save it, all companies do!!!

No, it is true. Anyone familiar with John Malone's work at TCI would tell you.

And yes, it probably will happen. The reason little national hd has come is due to Darth's negotiations.

Just a few notes.

1) Nascar Hotpass was not a network. It was a special broadcast package produced by DirecTV for DirecTV customers.

2) The cost of producing / uplinking and staff to produce, direct, do graphics etc was more then they were making selling the package, thus the reason to pull the plug on the Hotpass as we knew it.

3) John Malone is indeed a shrewd negotiator, look at what Dr. Malone did with TCI.

4) John Malone and Charlie Ergen are friends, and I believe they live really close to each other. Both seem to have simular techniques.

And there you have it. :)

1. Yes, but most sports 'networks' are officially known as 'networks'.
2. That's a rumour at this point, unless you;'d like to show us the official cost of it?
3. Look at the lawsuits as well. TCI was also a different time, a time when broadcasters weren't HD and didn't expect the huge payoffs they get today.
4. Your comparing E* to D*? I assume you'll next say Charlie is a shrewd negotiator too eh?

The simple point that E* has none of the major 3 sports except NBA and D* had them can very much go back to the fact that Charlie expected low prices and Rupert Murdoch opened the bank for them.

1) It wasn't a sports network. Fox Sports Network is a Network, NBC is a Network, Hotpass was a special event package.
2) We can only go by what DirecTV says, but if it was making money for DirecTV do you think they would have pulled the plug on it.
3) Times have changed but the players have stayed the same.
4) Yup, look at whats happening now wouldn't surprise me to see DirecTV soon in public disputes with providers. ;)

The simple point that E* has none of the major 3 sports except NBA and D* had them can very much go back to the fact that Charlie expected low prices and Rupert Murdoch opened the bank for them.

DISH never had football, but they DID have the other 3. Charlie was the only pay-provider not to come to an agreement with MLB (now even FiOS will have it in 2009).

Hum, well thanks for correcting me you too.

Still, my point still stands. Scott, with his promoting of Malone, ended up agreeing with me by comparing him to Charlie.

And the reason D* had sports and E* had none of the major ones (except nba) was due to the fact that the big sports networks demand alot, and Murdoch was willing to go with it.

It was a big mistake for Dish not to renew MLB EI, however the package as it was prsented on Dish was useless as they didnt have the Yankees games from Yes Network.

DISH never had football, but they DID have the other 3. Charlie was the only pay-provider not to come to an agreement with MLB (now even FiOS will have it in 2009).

The major 3 are MLB, NFL, and NBA. No nfl and MLB makes it 1 ;)

And the reason D* had sports and E* had none of the major ones (except nba) was due to the fact that the big sports networks demand alot, and Murdoch was willing to go with it.
Murdoch is not there no more. I don't agree with some of Murdochs (and for that Matter Ergens) tactics, I am just saying look at their past. Nothing has changed.

4) Yup, look at whats happening now wouldn't surprise me to see DirecTV soon in public disputes with providers. ;)

Okay, I now get what you were refering to with shrewed. Basically you mean he can talk people into some stuff and doesn't just automatically take anything.

The problem with this here is that a business can only do so much before they start losing contracts and losing customers.

Maybe if he did this for his own stuff privately, then yes, he'd be quite shrewed, but this type of thing doesn't translate well for business.

Murdoch is not there no more. I don't agree with some of Murdochs (and for that Matter Ergens) tactics, I am just saying look at their past. Nothing has changed.

I don't agree either, my point in the whole Murdoch thing was that Murdoch hated Charlie and was willing to spend to kill E*.

Just a few notes.

4) John Malone and Charlie Ergen are friends, and I believe they live really close to each other. Both seem to have simular techniques.

And there you have it. :)

this to me is the main reason why both are doing nothing at the moment. they have no reason to compete with each other especially since their friends. from what i've read around here the previous D owner and charlie despised each other fueling the fire for one to always compete and beat the other. What will drive them now to compete?

I don't agree either, my point in the whole Murdoch thing was that Murdoch hated Charlie and was willing to spend to kill E*.

And my point was Murdoch was gone from DirecTV now, and now John Malone is in charge and he is know to be tight with the pocketbook.

The days of free spending at DirecTV (as when Malone was there) is over. That might hurt DirecTV, then again might not.

Murdoch didn't "hate" charlie.. He had motivation to get even though ..something about charlie taking transponders from him in an earlier business deal gone bad

Murdoch didn't "hate" charlie.. He had motivation to get even though ..something about charlie taking transponders from him in an earlier business deal gone bad

Good to know. i was wondering why the bad blood between the two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)