John Malone comments on VOOM

"Maybe a couple of decades ago, today is the age of show me the money. If the stock holders and Wall Street analysist don't see profits and dividends they dump the stock. If the board of directors continue to OK a money loosing operation they leave themselves open to being sued."

This is actually far from the truth. The list of companies that are publicly traded that lose money on a regular basis would amaze you. The big reason that CVS wanted to get rid of VOOM is they knew it was a drain on their finances, AND they knew that the other areas weren't all that healthy either, so if they didn't fix it, they would get absorbed by someone else, which is most likely going to happen anyway.

Now for the other side...LOL

For all of you people that said "YES!...I'd invest in VOOM in a minute!", one question...
Why didn't you? :) How many shares of CVC stock did you buy? And if you DIDN'T buy it, why not? The rest of the company was/is fairly flat, so VOOM was a blockbuster just waiting to happen, and in THAT scenario, it had something else to help float it along until it went profitable in 3-5yrs.

I bet the answer is NO-BOD-EEE :)

Lob

Tvlman said:
The previous HBO experience is probably in the back of Chuck's mind. He partnered HBO with Time, Inc. and at the time it was a visionary and bold move. No one thought Pay Tv would ever work but it did. As I understand the story Chuck left HBO before all the money and accolades began to pour into HBO. He doesn't want that to happen again with VOOM. We know that HDTV is the wave of the future but just how far in the future is the profit? 3 years.....5 years.....10???

Not true, it was Time (now Time-Warner) who pulled their investment out of HBO leaving Chuck unable to afford it, so he took his money from selling his stake in it to form what is now much of Cablevision.

Lobstah said:
The rest of the company was/is fairly flat,
The rest of the company made $600 million last year. Voom/RainbowDBS turned that in to a $59 million dollar loss.

So far, other than investing in Cablevision, 'normal folk' have not been given the opportunity to invest in Voom. That was supposed to happen but it fell through, and now it appears that IF Voom survives it will be privately owned.

The only investment 'normal folk' can make is in monthly subscription, equipment purchase and time spent promoting the service to friends and on forums. The only return that can be expected on that investment is the pleasure of watching the SD and HD channels Voom offers (plus the new bonus promo for signing up friends).

JL

Burt said:
Wake up people! Voom business plan is a money loser, public or private.
Would you invest money in this so called venture?

YES....The same thing was said about XM satellite radio...started at $1.42 a
share, now XM over $30.....a baby must learn to walk and talk, even after
being shown and taught....

Jahbig said:
YES....The same thing was said about XM satellite radio...started at $1.42 a
share, now XM over $30.....a baby must learn to walk and talk, even after
being shown and taught....

But XM was first to provide DARS and they now have a couple of million subs. They did advertising, they sold systems in the Best Buy's and Circuit Cities of the world.

V* came onto the sceen as the #3 DBS provider and has about 65,000 subs. They had limited advertising. They sold their systems via the web and Sears (I do all my electronics shopping at Sears, not). While they provided more HD channels then anyone else they didn't have many of the standard channels that people wanted (how many early customers did they loose by no Sci-Fi channel) to complement the service and most people will not pay for two different services that would duplicate much of the programming, why pay twice.

Maybe V* should have considered selling only the HD channels and making the SD channels an option. Then folks could keep E*, D*, cable or whatever for their SD programming and V* for their HD.

r.jones1116 said:
46,000 subs was last quarter's numbers. The new numbers will be due out soon and it is probably closer to 65,000 than you think.

i would almost bet it's higher than 65000 closer to 70000

t

The $1 install and the HD "buzz" will attract a lot more customers than some think. To top it off probably more than half of those customers have no idea the turmoil Voom is going through right now. They just want all the HD content.

r.jones1116 said:
46,000 subs was last quarter's numbers. The new numbers will be due out soon and it is probably closer to 65,000 than you think.

46,000 was not last quarters number. It was the number as of Feb 28th and it was really 40,000 with 6,000 waiting for install. Last quarter's number was never published though it could be estimated from VOOM's income (which was published) as being close to 30,000. VOOM's net gain is running around 5,000 subs per month so 45,000 installed with 5,000 waiting is probably about right for the end of this quarter (march 31st).

NO THE ONLY THING THAT IS KILLING VOOM RIGHT NOW IT THE INSTALLER NO WANTING TO PUT UP THE OTA RIGHT

Installer just need to find something that works in there area and use it voom will pay them for the upgraded antenna all they have to do is call and get a approvel.

t

TYORK said:
NO THE ONLY THING THAT IS KILLING VOOM RIGHT NOW IT THE INSTALLER NO WANTING TO PUT UP THE OTA RIGHT

Installer just need to find something that works in there area and use it voom will pay them for the upgraded antenna all they have to do is call and get a approvel.

t
I agree - but isn't that a problem with Chuck & Tom Dolan being able to effectively manage VOOM. If they do manage to save VOOM, how will they correct that problem?

getting raid of the installer that don't want to install this OTA right. And get raid of these company that contract from installs Inc that just keep putting the voom install on the back burner cause there tech don't like doing them cause of the OTA

t

TYORK said:
getting raid of the installer that don't want to install this OTA right. And get raid of these company that contract from installs Inc that just keep putting the voom install on the back burner cause there tech don't like doing them cause of the OTA

t

Will that leave them enough installers to do the number installs needed to grow VOOM as fast as they need to? It seems like OTA installation was sort of a "lost art" until VOOM came along. Why didn't VOOM do this already?

believe me Install Inc is weeding out this installer everyday they are not putting up with these installer not wanting to do the job right. But the bad thing is alot of customer never report there install issue to Installs Inc so that is way the next customer gets that same bad installer. I can tell you one thing my field manger MR. Yukie 1. he will call and see why you didn't do it right 2. he will call and you or on probation and don't get any work for a certian amount of days 3 when you start getting work again and he get on call about a install you are history you now longer work for INSTALLS INC. believe me we have had guy in are area that are worthless and just keep going from company to company and as soon as he find out they are gone again. And i am sure that is way we don't have the trouble that most places are having cause are field manager stays on top of thing here.

t

Best thing Voom could do to help itself is ditch Installs Inc all together. The incompetance that is all getting blamed mainly on the subs isnt all true. They carry and share a big part of the blame.
Voom should be sub ing out is own work from the 1800getvoom and stuff to reputable dealers of theirs that want and can do the work. Voom is also killing itself by not making dealers warranty their work at all, If you have a problem a week later from your install, and call Voom, they will schedule you for service with Idiots Inc. Why??? Now Voom has to pay Installs for this , the dealers ( and i am one ) should have no problem warranty their work for 90 days or so, just like the other companys. Im not saying dealers should take it all on the chin for 90 days, if you go out and its equipment related, Voom should pay you for the service, if its install related, you deserve to eat it. :rolleyes:

NIFI,

Install Inc, does warranty the install but not for 90 days for 1 year as long as it is a install problem the only way they don't warranty it is the customer has mess with the install or there is a ird problem. IMO the dealer that have got voom now is not getting selling enough and most everything is going though the 1800get voom and that all goes to INSTALL INC and they think if they talk enough about them that they will go to the other dealer to do the installs.

t

TYORK said:

t

I think installers (or Voom) should look at your location ahead of time to determine what type of antenna you get the first time around. With the standard Winegard antenna, I just got ABC and PBS. I bought my own antenna, a CM 4228, and now I get ABC, PBS, and FOX all the time, and NBC and CBS part of the time. It's not perfect, but it's better than what I was getting. I'm in probably one of the worst locations for OTA reception since I'm over 70 miles from the towers except for PBS and ABC. For people like me they should start out with a better antenna like the channelmaster, that way they wouldn't have to make a second trip to upgrade. I didn't try to get an upgrade through Voom, maybe they would have upgraded for free I don't know, but the antenna was only $65. I don't think the cost is much more than the standard batwing antenna they gave me in the first place.

I live in southern Illinois, and my installer was from Kentucky. I guess some of the installers cover a wide area. A friend of mine just got Voom and his installer was also from KY. Might have been the same guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)