John Malone comments on VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
ChrisDuncan said:
I think installers (or Voom) should look at your location ahead of time to determine what type of antenna you get the first time around. With the standard Winegard antenna, I just got ABC and PBS. I bought my own antenna, a CM 4228, and now I get ABC, PBS, and FOX all the time, and NBC and CBS part of the time. It's not perfect, but it's better than what I was getting. I'm in probably one of the worst locations for OTA reception since I'm over 70 miles from the towers except for PBS and ABC. For people like me they should start out with a better antenna like the channelmaster, that way they wouldn't have to make a second trip to upgrade. I didn't try to get an upgrade through Voom, maybe they would have upgraded for free I don't know, but the antenna was only $65. I don't think the cost is much more than the standard batwing antenna they gave me in the first place.

I live in southern Illinois, and my installer was from Kentucky. I guess some of the installers cover a wide area. A friend of mine just got Voom and his installer was also from KY. Might have been the same guy.

They are supposed to look before they come to your home and see what antenna you will need but most installer will not bring what you need they want to come back and try to paid for a service call acting like they didn't know that the sensor would not work. That is why they ask that all installer go to antenna web and get an ideal of what will be need before you go to the install but most just use it to see what direction to point the antenna and that is it.

t

rad said:
V* came onto the sceen as the #3 DBS provider and has about 65,000 subs.
Last report was 40k. No source has suggested more than 46k except Voomer side trolls on this forum. Try to stay close to reality, lest someone believe that outrageous number.
r.jones1116 said:
46,000 subs was last quarter's numbers. The new numbers will be due out soon and it is probably closer to 65,000 than you think.
Actually NO NUMBER was given for 4Q04. The most recent number was "as of Feb 28th" (the 40k noted in Cablevision's 10k and Voom HD LLCs Rainbow1 FCC filing).

70k? Now people really are out of the minds. Voom did not add 25k subscribers in one month, let alone 30k!

JL

justalurker said:
Last report was 40k. No source has suggested more than 46k except Voomer side trolls on this forum. Try to stay close to reality, lest someone believe that outrageous number.
Actually NO NUMBER was given for 4Q04. The most recent number was "as of Feb 28th" (the 40k noted in Cablevision's 10k and Voom HD LLCs Rainbow1 FCC filing).

70k? Now people really are out of the minds. Voom did not add 25k subscribers in one month, let alone 30k!

JL

Gee, you can't win here. You post the last offiicial number and the V*'ers jump on your a**. You post the number that's being thrown around and the non-V*er's jump on your a**. I justy wish this soap opera would finish, one way or the other so things get back to normal around here!

ChrisDuncan said:
I think installers (or Voom) should look at your location ahead of time to determine what type of antenna you get the first time around. With the standard Winegard antenna, I just got ABC and PBS. I bought my own antenna, a CM 4228, and now I get ABC, PBS, and FOX all the time, and NBC and CBS part of the time. It's not perfect, but it's better than what I was getting. I'm in probably one of the worst locations for OTA reception since I'm over 70 miles from the towers except for PBS and ABC. For people like me they should start out with a better antenna like the channelmaster, that way they wouldn't have to make a second trip to upgrade. I didn't try to get an upgrade through Voom, maybe they would have upgraded for free I don't know, but the antenna was only $65. I don't think the cost is much more than the standard batwing antenna they gave me in the first place.

I live in southern Illinois, and my installer was from Kentucky. I guess some of the installers cover a wide area. A friend of mine just got Voom and his installer was also from KY. Might have been the same guy.

chris,

exactly my point, ship out a 3679 crossfire or an hd7082p chromestar up front, and while no antenna is going to work everywhere, these two would cover about 85% ot the usa, and no paying for a service call.

dragon

justalurker said:

JL

All I said was that it is probably closer to 65,000 than you think. I didn't say that it was 65,000. It has been a little over a month since those numbers were last reported.

TYORK recently posted that they do at least 100 Voom installs a month in her half of Indiana. They deinstall maybe 5 per month. Lets say 200 installs a month for the state of Indiana minus the 10 deinstalls. This gives us 190 per month. Unfortunately we have to make an assumption that Indiana's #s represents the rest of the US. That yields 9,120 new customers for the month of March for a grand total of 55,120. Now that number is closer to 65,000 than you probably thought.

r.jones1116 said:
All I said was that it is probably closer to 65,000 than you think. I didn't say that it was 65,000. It has been a little over a month since those numbers were last reported.
I think it is close to 45k. 46k is closer to 65k than I think. :D
r.jones1116 said:
TYORK recently posted that they do at least 100 Voom installs a month in her half of Indiana. They deinstall maybe 5 per month. Lets say 200 installs a month for the state of Indiana minus the 10 deinstalls. This gives us 190 per month. Unfortunately we have to make an assumption that Indiana's #s represents the rest of the US. That yields 9,120 new customers for the month of March for a grand total of 55,120. Now that number is closer to 65,000 than you probably thought.
Talk about taking a wild guess!

My progression is:
end 2Q04 - 25k (reported)
end 3Q04 - 26k (reported - with a loss reported for Sept)
$1 promotion began in early November -
the 3Q decline continued until the offer took effect and turned the numbers
(I estimate V* lost 1k or 2k during those first 6-8 weeks.)
end 4Q04 - 30k (my estimate - making up for the Oct-Nov loss)
end Jan05 - 35k (my estimate - add 5k per month Dec buy/Jan install)
end Feb05 - 40k (reported - net 14k added since Sep 30th)
At the time there was a single source reporting ~5k waiting to install
end Mar05/ 1Q05 - 45k (my estimate - based on installs getting done)

So how much 'closer to 65k' (25k since the last reported number) to you want to place your bet? V* hasn't had a 25k net add QUARTER - and you expect that in a month?

JL

justalurker said:
I think it is close to 45k. 46k is closer to 65k than I think. :DTalk about taking a wild guess!

My progression is:
end 2Q04 - 25k (reported)
end 3Q04 - 26k (reported - with a loss reported for Sept)
$1 promotion began in early November -
the 3Q decline continued until the offer took effect and turned the numbers
(I estimate V* lost 1k or 2k during those first 6-8 weeks.)
end 4Q04 - 30k (my estimate - making up for the Oct-Nov loss)
end Jan05 - 35k (my estimate - add 5k per month Dec buy/Jan install)
end Feb05 - 40k (reported - net 14k added since Sep 30th)
At the time there was a single source reporting ~5k waiting to install
end Mar05/ 1Q05 - 45k (my estimate - based on installs getting done)

So how much 'closer to 65k' (25k since the last reported number) to you want to place your bet? V* hasn't had a 25k net add QUARTER - and you expect that in a month?

JL

You have been proven wrong time and time again JL.
Remember persistence is not a substitute for intelligence. :p

r.jones1116 said:

Maybe the MODS can do a complete ignore. He can post but he is the only one who sees them. :D

r.jones1116 said:

I think he's right about the subscriber numbers.

dlm10541 said:
Maybe the MODS can do a complete ignore. He can post but he is the only one who sees them. :D

That's right! Lets stifle those who don't agree with us! It worked so well for the communists! :D

Geno said:
That's right! Lets stifle those who don't agree with us! It worked so well for the communists! :D

Sorry Geno but that was in jest because of him saying he had the right to post-which he does. However many of us are tired of his monopolizing threads with nonsense. I do not agree or disagree with him--I for one do not have time to read his ramblings nor do all of his quotes and stats have any interest to me.

justalurker said:
Then give your own guess. Then when Cablevision or Voom puts out another number we'll see who is wrong. 55k? 65k? You have to enter to win.

JL
If potential subscribers don't read all of the junk here, better yet, don't even know about this site, I will come in at 58k. I hope more though.

VOOM has to add channels knowbody has yet SD and HD ones, and get exclusive deals for aleast 1 year like they did with Playboy HD. That will increase sub numbers.
Here are some they should try to add, but I know the Cuban thing but that can be worked out, and if the speculation about Echostar are true then we already will have HDnet. I can think of 2 channels that VOOM can add and could bring in 5K sub easily just in my state alone.

ESPN2-HD
HDnet
HDmovies
INHD
INHD2
Hustler HD
Outdoor Channel HD
Sifi HD
RSN's HD ones

Coming soon...
Tuner South HD
TBS HD
TCM HD
Cartoon Network HD
MTV HD

Wow I didn't even know Scifi was available in HD, cool !

Now the Cartoon net in HD is just friggin waste of bandwidth, are the cartoons drawn in HD? LMAO

DucTape said:
Wow I didn't even know Scifi was available in HD, cool !

Now the Cartoon net in HD is just friggin waste of bandwidth, are the cartoons drawn in HD? LMAO

it should be boomerang in HD not cartoon network, us old timers should be allowed to enjoy old cartoons in HD

Yeah Boomarang is one my favorite cartoon channels as well but I'm sure broadcasting cartoons in high def would be worse rather than better.
They just don't have the detail required for high def. IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)