John Malone comments on VOOM

before we start asking for new HD channels, have we stopped to answer the question: Is there enough space left on rainbow1 to provide these channels.

When I called back in Feb. to have my system installed I was told that I wouldn't need a new or second dish to receive the sd channels but I would need it for the HD channels.

Obviously a lot has happened between then and now.

Scott has mentioned that the stb's need new programming in order to look at the new location and it's being worked on. We know that VOOM is currently broadcasting something from amc6 whether it be actual streams or just a test stream I'm not sure it matters at this point. Mr. Dolan is/was scheduled to have a 30" dish installed at his place.

Can we confirm or deny the size of the dish that Mr. Dolan has at his place?
Can we confirm or deny the size that Mr. Dolan received is large enough to pick up both locations?
Can we confirm that the stb's are going to get new programming that will allow them to look at the second location?

The biggest reason that we received all of the sd channels over the past month was not only due to getting subscribers, but VOOM was the only service provider that did not provide those channels. VOOM is constantly saying that they want to be a sole provider. OK, then that means they are going to have to add EVERYTHING that both E* & D* has. VOOM still has a little ways to go though.

I expect that the next round of HD channels will be on amc6. I am also going to "guess" that when amc6 "goes live" that we'll have an option to upgrade to the larger dish in order to receive the additional channels. At which time we can probably expect some additional packages to be added.
Until then I do expect that we'll probably get a few more sd or sports channels, but I don't expect very much until they can get everything straightened out.

justalurker said:
I think it is close to 45k. 46k is closer to 65k than I think. :DTalk about taking a wild guess!

My progression is:
end 2Q04 - 25k (reported)
end 3Q04 - 26k (reported - with a loss reported for Sept)
$1 promotion began in early November -
the 3Q decline continued until the offer took effect and turned the numbers
(I estimate V* lost 1k or 2k during those first 6-8 weeks.)
end 4Q04 - 30k (my estimate - making up for the Oct-Nov loss)
end Jan05 - 35k (my estimate - add 5k per month Dec buy/Jan install)
end Feb05 - 40k (reported - net 14k added since Sep 30th)
At the time there was a single source reporting ~5k waiting to install
end Mar05/ 1Q05 - 45k (my estimate - based on installs getting done)

So how much 'closer to 65k' (25k since the last reported number) to you want to place your bet? V* hasn't had a 25k net add QUARTER - and you expect that in a month?

JL

So far you pulled out all these numbers from your bottom part - which means nothing.

the only fact that we know is end of Feb Voom haed already 46k subs.

Besides this JL: "quarter" doesn't necessary mean calendar quarter, so your Q4-comment is another pointless nitpicking without a clue.

danielle_s said:
before we start asking for new HD channels, have we stopped to answer the question: Is there enough space left on rainbow1 to provide these channels.

When I called back in Feb. to have my system installed I was told that I wouldn't need a new or second dish to receive the sd channels but I would need it for the HD channels.

Obviously a lot has happened between then and now.

Scott has mentioned that the stb's need new programming in order to look at the new location and it's being worked on. We know that VOOM is currently broadcasting something from amc6 whether it be actual streams or just a test stream I'm not sure it matters at this point. Mr. Dolan is/was scheduled to have a 30" dish installed at his place.

Can we confirm or deny the size of the dish that Mr. Dolan has at his place?
Can we confirm or deny the size that Mr. Dolan received is large enough to pick up both locations?
Can we confirm that the stb's are going to get new programming that will allow them to look at the second location?

The biggest reason that we received all of the sd channels over the past month was not only due to getting subscribers, but VOOM was the only service provider that did not provide those channels. VOOM is constantly saying that they want to be a sole provider. OK, then that means they are going to have to add EVERYTHING that both E* & D* has. VOOM still has a little ways to go though.

I expect that the next round of HD channels will be on amc6. I am also going to "guess" that when amc6 "goes live" that we'll have an option to upgrade to the larger dish in order to receive the additional channels. At which time we can probably expect some additional packages to be added.
Until then I do expect that we'll probably get a few more sd or sports channels, but I don't expect very much until they can get everything straightened out.

They have plenty of unutilised space on AMC.

DucTape said:
Yeah Boomarang is one my favorite cartoon channels as well but I'm sure broadcasting cartoons in high def would be worse rather than better.
They just don't have the detail required for high def. IMO

Watch Animania on Voom for a while and see if you still think that. Old cartoons like The Pink Panther and Mr. Magoo look great in HD, much better than they do in SD.

Can we un-sticky this thread considering no one has talked about the actual subject in oh, say, 3 pages now.

:rolleyes:

T2k said:
So far you pulled out all these numbers from your bottom part - which means nothing.

Besides this JL: "quarter" doesn't necessary mean calendar quarter, so your Q4-comment is another pointless nitpicking without a clue.

CVC uses calendar quarters. - fact
The End of September number 26K was reported by CVC. - fact
The End of February 40K + 5K was reported by VOOM. - fact
That is an addition of 19K subscribers in 5 months. - fact
The $1 promotion was running with national advertising since 11/1 - fact
The next quarter's subscriber number will be for the period ending 3/31 - fact

Now ask yourself - if VOOM added 19K subscribers in 5 months - 4 of those months which included the current $1.00 install deal and national advertising campaign - how many subscribers will they add in one more month with the same deal and the same advertsing?

jnardone said:

Link?

The End of September number 26K was reported by CVC. - fact

If they use calendar Qs it's not the Q304 he was talking about...

:rolleyes: at leats make some sense in your own post, pal...

[/QUOTE]
The End of February 40K + 5K was reported by VOOM. - fact
[/QUOTE]

Got it wrong again - it isn't.
46K was reported in some of their SEC filing.

That is an addition of 19K subscribers in 5 months. - fact

Wrong again. It's 20K,

Besides this you're - unlike JL actually - apparently unable to understand it is 20K since mid-November, when $1 started taking effect.

The $1 promotion was running with national advertising since 11/1 - fact
The next quarter's subscriber number will be for the period ending 3/31 - fact

See above - wrong again.

Now ask yourself - if VOOM added 19K subscribers in 5 months - 4 of those months which included the current $1.00 install deal and national advertising campaign - how many subscribers will they add in one more month with the same deal and the same advertsing?

Now ask yourself: "Am I really mentally unable to get the fact straight, namely A) any campaign takes weeks to take effect B) it's technically roughly 3 months or am I simply trying to post solely for the sake of posting?"
No need to post your answer here...:p

T2k said:
BZZZZ. 46k as of Feb 28th is NOT a fact, and was contradicted in a SEC filing and Dolan's petition to deny filed with the FCC.
T2k said:
Cablevision operates on calendar quarters.

So what is your number for March 31st? Or do you not want to hazard a guess?

T2k said:
jnardone said:
Link?
You are kidding. Look at any Cablevision 10K or quarterly report.
T2k said:
46K was reported in some of their SEC filing.
Link? The 10K reported 40k (as of Feb 28th). Link to any Cablevision document that gave 46k.

JL

Now ask yourself: "Am I really mentally unable to get the fact straight, namely A) any campaign takes weeks to take effect B) it's technically roughly 3 months or am I simply trying to post solely for the sake of posting?"
No need to post your answer here...:p[/QUOTE]

What is your problem? I only listed actual numbers from actual CVC and VOOM documents and you don't believe them? You don't believe they report their financials on a calendar quarter? You don't believe that 45-26=19? You don't believe that there are 5 months from September 30th through February 28th?

You seem bothered that I rounded the 40K subs w/5.somethingK subs waiting to be installed down to 45K but riddle me this - how many de-installs does VOOM typically have pending at any moment? Historically (From CVC documents) it was up to 20% of subscribers - but even if it was only 2% then you are still at less than 45K subscribers.

Just so we can stop this:
This is from the 10-K 3-17-05

Rainbow DBS

The Rainbow DBS business began operations in October 2003 with the introduction of the VOOMSM service, which carries a larger number of high-definition channels than any other satellite provider or cable television system. As of December 31, 2004, the VOOMSM service offering included over 30 channels in high-definition, including 21 currently exclusive VOOMSM channels and over 70 standard definition channels. The VOOMSM service is currently transmitted by the Rainbow DBS satellite, Rainbow 1, that was constructed by Lockheed Martin, successfully launched in July 2003 and delivered to its 61.5°W.L. orbital position. From this orbital position, the satellite can provide coverage to the contiguous United States, provided customers have a line of sight to the satellite. As of February 28, 2005, Rainbow DBS had approximately 40,000 subscribers.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/784681/000104746905006818/a2153426z10-k.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)