Johnny Ive says there are many changes in iOS 7

Doesn't sound good. An image of a bookshelf makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree, sounds like they are going to take away a lot of what made the iPhone charming to a lot of people. And I think that might be a bad thing.

I do wish they would let people customize their lock screens. You can do it with a jailbreak... its one thing I miss from my android phone.

I wish they had some screenshots to tease us with as it sounds like the interface will be getting a major overhaul. I do hope they include the option of widgets like you can do on Android. It's one thing I do miss.

I could care less about the graphical interface changes. It's all about functionality. I jailbreak because I want a more useful lockscreen, I want easily accessible toggles for common settings, I want to be able to quick reply to a text message without exiting the app I'm in, I want to set up my folders and icons however I want them without unnecessary restrictions, etc.

And the thing is, the phone is plenty powerful enough to manage these things. And I haven't seem a major impact on my battery life either. This tells me that such things can be done natively without harming the user experience. Apple just needs to stop being stubborn and incorporate such things. If they fear adding too much complexity, then maybe they should have a master standard/custom mode toggle that a user has control over. Switch it to custom and you can tweak things however you see fit. Leave it on standard and you avoid dealing with the extra complexity of customization options. Basically the best of both worlds.

Apple needs to incorporate these types of features into IOS. Until then, Android users will have something to crow about and iPhone users that want more flexibility are forced to jailbreak (and or not update to the newest IOS until there is a jailbreak available). In all honesty, I'm not going to hold my breath for such sweeping functionality improvements. I'm happy with my jailbreak and probably won't upgrade to IOS 7 until it too can be jailbroken.

No jailbreak = no upgrade. If, by the time I'm ready to replace my iDevices there is no jailbreak in sight, I will be moving to Android (which is something I've avoided for years.) it seems that the jailbreaks are taking longer and longer, and with no way to restore without "upgrading" to a firmware vision that cannot be jailbroken, I've had to be really careful about not messing up my jailbreaks. I refuse to go unjailbroken. if, for some reason I ever have to restore to unjailbroken, Android it is.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I miss widgets being able to set 3 party apps as default with android. The only thing I hated was google left all app in the store and you'd get third party notifications. Just like all products with competition you'd love to take a few ideas from each and built one great model that works for you.

I think about that now I came from E* to D*. I miss a few setting Dish had but happy with directv in general.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am glad to hear the silly wood-grain apps will be going away in the calendar, the news-stand, etc... AND I trust they will disappear in OSX as well.

I hope that whatever changes occur, the holes for JB still exist. Cannot go without JB especially during the baseball season.

I am sure they will try to close those holes, they always seem to try. Of course, they never seem to succeed, so it may be a game. Lets close a loophole, but open something else up, and make the hackers work. :)

I don't know why Apple tries so hard at stopping jailbreakers. They spend real time and real money on their side while the hacking side does it for fun and/or the challenge. What does Apple lose by people jailbreaking, except for "control" ? People jailbreak so that they can customize or in rarer cases, an app that Apple won't allow in the App Store. It was over two years before I read that you could pirate apps by jailbreaking ... and I'm a geek !

As an iPhone owner and user, I worry if the iPhone can be jailbroken, it has a fundamental security flaw that could be exploited to compromise the secure and reliable operation of the device.

I expect Apple to take any actions necessary to continue to insure that fundamental security is maintained.

As an iPhone owner and user, I worry if the iPhone can be jailbroken, it has a fundamental security flaw that could be exploited to compromise the secure and reliable operation of the device.

I expect Apple to take any actions necessary to continue to insure that fundamental security is maintained.
Why? Have these exploits ever led to security issues? If anything, the JB community helps Apple find these holes sooner than they normally would have found them.

I am sure they will try to close those holes, they always seem to try. Of course, they never seem to succeed, so it may be a game. Lets close a loophole, but open something else up, and make the hackers work. :)
Not if they do not know about the holes. The JB community is able to JB 6.1.3 now, but they do not want to release it and inform Apple of the needed patches

Why? Have these exploits ever led to security issues? If anything, the JB community helps Apple find these holes sooner than they normally would have found them.
It's not that I object to the idea of Jailbreaking as iOS has improved over the years as some different ideas are incorporated, but the point remains that if the JB exploit allows you to replace pieces of the iOS root, so can the Black Hats.

If Apple were to change their policy and introduced a slider in the General settings panel that allowed to replace the Springboard app with a different launcher, that might reduce the market for Jailbreaking. But that won't ever happen...

The JB methods have never been publicly released, have they ? If not, "bad" hackers are on their own finding other, or possibly the same, exploits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)