Join the SatelliteGuys Folding@Home Team!

Some good highlights before the end of the year! Unfortunately, I lost another Folder over Christmas, so I'm down to the Mac Pro (my first Folder) and the HP workstation. No GX480 under the tree...

Some good highlights before the end of the year! Unfortunately, I lost another Folder over Christmas, so I'm down to the Mac Pro (my first Folder) and the HP workstation. No GX480 under the tree...

Ouch! Sounds as if the Grinch visited you.:mad:

I haven't had a chance to investigate why the HP 325 died yet, but I may just need to eliminate the dust bunnies before I can bring it back on-line. Since this machine got a second lease on life, it may be time to finally shut it down. I'll know more tomorrow...

Won a PS3 slim at my work Christmas party, is the Folding client on it still worth running ppd and cost wise?

The GPU's in my "server room" are keeping my partially insulated basement near 70 degrees at 6ft ht (floor is colder etc), I am devising a ducting setup to capture the heat and move it to my finished area :).

My son's Dell is dead (like I thought, more bad caps {including two hiding between the PCI-e slots}). I transplanted the 9800 GTX+ card that was in there over to my HP xw8200, rebuilt Windows XP from the ground up, and downloaded the latest nVIDIA drivers. When I tried to start Folding, I guess the GPU2 client I downloaded was the Systray version instead of the Service version I was using before, so I had to locate the CUDART DLL and copy it into my Folding directory before it could work. I'm going to download the Service version this weekend and swap it out, plus re-install the SMP client (since I have two 3.2 GHz Xeon CPUs with HT) which will bring back a few more points. Also, I put the Mac Mini back on-line, so that should start contributing to the Team here in a day or so. Finally, I blew out the dust bunnies from the HP d325 and it's back to GPU2 Folding on the ATI HD3750 AGP graphics card.

I took my ATI HD4850 card (from the xw8200) in to work to use as my new Windows 7 workstation graphics card. I had to swap out the 300W P/S for the 500W high-efficiency P/S from my son's dead Dell. I don't think the IT department would take too kindly to yours truly sucking down electricity to run the GPU2 client in the office. It doesn't generate enough PPD to risk it.
Won a PS3 slim at my work Christmas party, is the Folding client on it still worth running ppd and cost wise?
If I recall, the PS3 client was good for 3 WUs a day. That worked out to somewhere around 900ppd.

Last edited:
I knew I like you guys for more than just Satellite info. I've been folding for about 6 years. Started with Team Abit. When that all fell apart I joined The Folding Wolves. If anybody needs any advice for getting as much bang for the buck, these guys can help. XXX.thefoldingwolves.com.

I looked at your stats and see you are running a lot of old single core console clients still. If anybody has a nVidia 8800, or a Radeon 4650 or better you should be running the GPU2 client.
It doesn't burn up the card!!!! It does give you 3500 minimum of points per day. Faster cards obviously can perform much better. A GTX465 does about 10,000 a day.
They are super easy to turn off when you are gaming or other graphic applications.

Hey, how could I post my live stats signature here?

Attachments

• statsig.JPG
    statsig.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
with the gpu client you can get a crapload of work done in a short amount of time. You decide if you want to run 24/7. I'm not rich ($432/wk) but I can't help fight cancer and other diseases if my rigs are off. I've had 11 close relatives die from cancer. I feel compelled to do all I can

I'd never thought much about what folding 24/7 was costing me so I did some quick figuring. I'm running a Core2 Q9300 with an nVidia 9800GT (shaders overclocked 10%), certainly not the latest and greatest hot-rod, but I've been throwing off decent points for quite a while.

My Kill-A-Watt shows 330 watts (with the monitor off) when I plug the ups into it. Figuring the computer would be on for 8 hours anyway the cost for running the extra 16 hours/day for a month is about 11 bucks. Not bad for contributing, in some small way, to scientific research and a heck of a lot less than what I give to dish each month.

sigimage.php

sigimage.php

I've been at this a while and the software today is far more stable, simple, and unintrusive that it was several years ago. The gpu even seems to run cooler as of late. I have one cpu client and one gpu client running and I'm not a big time gamer. I seldom, if ever, notice that they are running.

I'd never thought much about what folding 24/7 was costing me so I did some quick figuring. I'm running a Core2 Q9300 with an nVidia 9800GT (shaders overclocked 10%), certainly not the latest and greatest hot-rod, but I've been throwing off decent points for quite a while.

My Kill-A-Watt shows 330 watts (with the monitor off) when I plug the ups into it. Figuring the computer would be on for 8 hours anyway the cost for running the extra 16 hours/day for a month is about 11 bucks. Not bad for contributing, in some small way, to scientific research and a heck of a lot less than what I give to dish each month.

sigimage.php

sigimage.php

I've been at this a while and the software today is far more stable, simple, and unintrusive that it was several years ago. The gpu even seems to run cooler as of late. I have one cpu client and one gpu client running and I'm not a big time gamer. I seldom, if ever, notice that they are running.

Yeah, during the summer, I had my folders offline for electrical issues at my home, but when it was all said and done and accounting for differences in weather from previous summer, my folders being off really didn't make much difference in my bill. In the winter, the heat generated is of course welcome. Summer temps determine whether or not I run the folders generally.