Joint Statement from DirecTV & Dish Network

So they want to offer consumers free choice in which "locals" they can watch.

They will be able to correctly administrate and authorize individual stb's uniquely to each customers choice of local programming for this noble venture.

The superstations like WGN would be big winners here.

So why can't they offer free choice in programming?

They have spent a lot of $$ in Washington lobbying against "Ala Carte" programming, stating it would be too difficult administrate, and that uniquely authorizing millions of stb's is way too costly to allow them to stay in business.

It seems funny that you can read a newspaper from another state but you cannot watch TV stations from outside your area.

On saying they can't black out regions is BUNK. They have control of the receivers and can blank them out in advance by sending info to them. Right now, they blank out more than the desigated area.

On saying they can't black out regions is BUNK. They have control of the receivers and can blank them out in advance by sending info to them. Right now, they blank out more than the desigated area.
They never said that they could not black them out, if you read it, it says that they are not capble of adding in alternate programming on the blacked out channels, like cable does. It goes on to say that call center logs show that people do not like watching a blank blackout slate.

As long as they do not have to blackout individual progams, the authorization can be quite easy.

The reason for the fight against Ala Carte is not authorization or blackouts, but it is because of bulk discounts in pricing.

The main issue is, the Affiliates have entered into a binding contract with the Network to be the exclusive provider of the the Network's programming for the area. Same issue for any syndicated programming the channel shows (Oprah, Dr. Phil, Jeopardy, etc...)

The Networks themselves have chosen the affiliate model in order to distribute it's programming. If the Network's desired, they could go the national route and distribute it's programming directly via satellite/cable (ala ESPN, TNT, Spike, etc...), but they have chosen not to.

Congress may allow neighboring markets to be shown, in order to get in-state news, but we will never see blanket exemptions in order to show "foreign" markets. To do so tramples the rights of both the Networks and their Affiliates.

When Dish and Direct TV want to cary the same multiple locals that many cable companies are allowed to carry, the cable companies( not local networks or the NAB ) are the biggest protesters. Their big arguement is that to get their local license they are required to carry local access stations and follow other local municipality contract rules that the satellite companies don't. If you want Congress to treat both the same, then both should follow the same laws. Both E* and D* might not like the results.

Same here I live in NH but I can't get WMUR I have to take Burlington VT stations. However if I go 2 miles down the street in Danbury I can get WMUR and the Boston stations.

I support this also.

I live in Massachusetts and do not care about Rhode Island news and information yet I have to watch all of the Rhode Island stations only.

interesting conversation. Its funny that congress some how finds a way to be right in the middle of another controversial subject. At what point do we allow the market to decide the correct path.

this crap makes my head hurt.

I live exactly halfway between Tallahasse and Jacksonville. 80 miles in either direction. This would be great to choose, since the way it is now, we can't have Jax...they'll only give us Tally locals...and their news talks about south Georgia more than anything in Florida! The Gainseville DMA is closer at 55 miles...can't have those either! Having a choice would be way better!:hungry:

I live in Massachusetts, one mile from the New York State line. My entire county (Almost 1/4 of Massachusetts) is required to have Albany, NY local stations. The rules are the same for cable. However cable in this county is allowed to carry significantly viewed stations from Boston and Springfield. As far as sports goes, we are tied to the Boston teams and have no choice on that either. Considered NY for locals, considered MA for sports. There should be some border/buffer areas allotted to allow certain areas to pick either or both DMA's or at least be able to get some in state news.

I support this also.

I live in Massachusetts and do not care about Rhode Island news and information yet I have to watch all of the Rhode Island stations only.

Ugh, I feel so bad for you, the RI channels are so awful compared to the Boston ones. Good luck. I figured in MA they do it by county as Bristol County gets RI, and Plymouth County gets Boston. But on Comcast i can get both Boston and RI. Foolish.

Don't know what happened to my last reply but it apparently disappeared. Anyway, I'm not for sure but the original house bill in the US. legislature was HB 2821 and was started by U.S. Congressman Mike Ross from southwest Arkansas. It was to allow D and E viewers the right to have a choice in areas like ours in Southwest Arkansas to watch Little Rock, AR. locals instead of Shreveport, LA. locals. It started in June of 2006 and to my knowledge hasn't progressed any further since. I do know that D viewers in Rep. Ross's home town of Prescott, Arkansas. can choose between L.R. or Shreveport or both but not E viewers. It's been this way since 2006 and I live exactly 100 miles from Little Rock and 100 miles from Shreveport. Dish DMA changes from Arkansas to Louisiana about every 6 months depending on the Nielson crap but Direct continues to be the same in his home town. So, deals can and have been made to the choice few, even if you live in a small town of only 5,000 people. I'm sure there are other stories like this in other areas of the country. I might also mention that the local cable company offers both locals in each city as well but they have priced themselves out of business in my opinion. Thanks for listerning.

OK panhandle

I know all about this CRAP.

Dont you think that the state you pay taxes in you should be able to see what kind of job the politicians are doing instead of the ones from two the states. See how they are spending your money? Be able to cheer and watch you state college teams.

With DTV they dont have the DMA for my customers but you can not get distant local because another DMA claims to have a grade B signal for a couple channels.

I had a local Oklahoma state rep come by my house asking for me to vote for him. I asked who he was and he told me my state rep. I told him to quit pulling my leg and tell me what he really wanted. He wanted my vote ..I told him my state rep was out of Texas! he said he could not be that was in another state. I said well its the one who is on my TV all the time. I told him i knew it was because he didnt want us to know just how bad of job he was doing for US in western OK. He took my name and told me i would hear from him!!

Sure enough two weeks later i got a card from him wanting me to come to a $50 per plate lunch.. SCREW YOU GUS BLACKWELL!!

Like I said they dont KARE ...and yes i know how to spell just wanted to do it that way

You must be in the OK panhandle. It is part of the N. TX DMA (Amarillo).

Ugh, I feel so bad for you, the RI channels are so awful compared to the Boston ones. Good luck. I figured in MA they do it by county as Bristol County gets RI, and Plymouth County gets Boston. But on Comcast i can get both Boston and RI. Foolish.

No quality in the broadcasts in the Rhode Island market. Comcast had both Providence and Boston for awhile but took everything away except for Channel 5.
I don't see the harm in opening up the local market.

It seems funny that you can read a newspaper from another state but you cannot watch TV stations from outside your area.

Great point, fsds! If newspapers operated the way satellite delivers locals, then there would be NO out-town paper racks sitting in front of grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. So unless it's a real large city (which may have more than one newspaper), most places would only have ONE paper rack.

My wife's parents share many of your "mis-aligned" local TV issues. They live in Clay County, NC and are the ONLY NC county to be inside the Atlanta DMA. The NC county to its west is in the Chattanooga DMA and the NC counties to its north and east are in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville DMA. My in-laws would prefer to get NC news by being in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville DMA, however being in the Chattanooga DMA would be okay since they were accustomed to OTA signals from Chattanooga. The Atlanta stations do not mention Clay County NC in any way, including weather bulletins. At least Chattanooga TV references their small part of NC. I've suggested to my father-in-law to "move" but I think he's afraid he'll get hauled off to prison.

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)