jsc321S standard 0.3 db lnbf vs. Dovebar h&v lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Wanted to weigh in on the merits of the Primestar 84e lnb as to efficiency, etc. Now I know Iceberg, for whom I have the utmost respect, and who has given me very helpful information on many occasions, has found the Dove bar lnb rated at 0.9 db to be as good or better than most "bullet" lnbfs rated at 0.3 or even 0.2. He is quite correct in stating that performance as listed on the box or in technical specs are often not commensurate with actual end-user results for these lnbfs. And I have found that the 0.9 Prime. when connected directly from the H or V outputs individually or when used with a Zinwell switch, works very well!
However, after having installed my 84e dish and peaked & adjusted skew, etc. on AMC 21 Ku, I found that I could only get the dvb-s transponders (with ease), but not OETA or Montana or LPBS stations with Azbox using the Dove bar. Then replacing with a DMS JSC 321S lnbf (without switch of course) and adjusting, OETA and Montana come in fine in good weather but a little "iffy" in the rain--and not at all in heavy rain. Cannot pick up the LPBs. Now using the 0.9 Prime. lnb with switch on 97 W in conjunction with 8 ft. ku dish and getting everything there. I am happy to get the Oklahoma and Montana pbs channels with the 84e, as they show British comedies different from our local WV PBS on Thu. and Sat.

My Primestar 84e with a soup can lnb is doing fine on 125°W, LPB and Montana may drop out in heavy overcast if it's also raining.

I havent really tried S2 recently on my "stock" primestar LNB. I know its been a while but I assume with S2 the "lower" noise LNB's will work better since you do need more of a precise aiming ;)
Maybe I'll try it and see. I guess the issue is there isnt that much S2 on KU other than PBS stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)