jump to 15-minute tick marks on your recorded program

zimmett

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
When after recording how do I jump to 15-minute tick marks on my recorded program

To my knowledge, there are no 15 minute tick marks.

You can press the skip ahead to move forward in 30 second increments.

The OP is referring to the "jump 15 minute ticks" in TiVo. No, Dish DVR does not have such a feature. If you want to move that fast on a Dish DVR, than you need to FFW or RW at 300X.

Everything is a compromise. Yes, TiVo has the jump 15 minute tick, but lacks a FFWD or RW speed beyond 60X. Dish doesn't have the 15 ticks, but has 300X FFWD or RW.

I have both TiVo Series 3 and Dish DVR's, and I prefer Dish's 300X because, although it is incredibly fast, I can still see the scenes in a long movie and stop much close to the point I want, while TiVo's ticks skip huge portions of a movie and I have to go hunting on either side of the tick to find what I want. 15 minute tick VS. 300X is more of a different flavor of ice cream feature. I can't fault either company for their respective solutions to get through a recording really fast. They are just different solutions; one not necessarily better or worse than the other.

(1) On fast forward, the time-left banner gets ahead of the displayed position. If you slow from 300X to 60X you will jump back on the banner by several minutes and the display moves too. To get to the end and check for show completion, I use 300X and drop to 60X when it gets below 5 min or so and repeat for 60X to 15X, a much smaller jump. It is nice that you can rewind/skip back from overrunning the end on the internal but sorry not so on the EHD.

(2) The EHDs have trouble getting up to a true 300X.

(3) OTA recordings with problems (low signal and dropouts) cannot be run faster than 1X nor rewound without risking jumping to the start of the recording.

-Ken

(1) On fast forward, the time-left banner gets ahead of the displayed position. If you slow from 300X to 60X you will jump back on the banner by several minutes and the display moves too. To get to the end and check for show completion, I use 300X and drop to 60X when it gets below 5 min or so and repeat for 60X to 15X, a much smaller jump. It is nice that you can rewind/skip back from overrunning the end on the internal but sorry not so on the EHD.

(2) The EHDs have trouble getting up to a true 300X.

(3) OTA recordings with problems (low signal and dropouts) cannot be run faster than 1X nor rewound without risking jumping to the start of the recording.

-Ken

Yes, I have found the externals not reaching 300X really annoying as I really love and count on the 300X and am used to the internal HDD experience. USB 2.0 has less bandwidth than eSATA. Perhaps it is the limitation of USB 2.0 that keeps the external from reaching 300X.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)