Jumpy motion on HDNET Movie channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I just got a 6000 receiver 5 days ago. I've noticed that the motion is not smooth on HDNET Movie channel (9423). The motion looks like only every 10th frame shows, the motion is very jumpy....

This only happens some of the time.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks

Jeff

Yes, I saw this also. I happened to have my 6000 in the 720p mode and when I changed it to 1080i the problem cleared up. HDNet Movies was good in the past in the 720p mode. Unfortunately, I did not go back to 720p to try and duplicate the problem but I will when I get home from work tonight.

Well, I do have my receiver in 720p. I will change it to 1080i and see what happens......

But I have a Samsung DLP, and I thought is liked 720p more, isn't 720p more of it's "native" mode or something like that.

I might even try the RGB output instead of the component I am now using.

Jeff

ride525 said:
Well, I do have my receiver in 720p. I will change it to 1080i and see what happens......

But I have a Samsung DLP, and I thought is liked 720p more, isn't 720p more of it's "native" mode or something like that.

I might even try the RGB output instead of the component I am now using.

Jeff

I have the HLM507 DLP too. You can't use 1080i RGB, it has to be component.

The DLP is 720p native, which means all material is scaled to 720p for display. All 1080i material is scaled, either by the 6000 or the TV. In this case, it appears the Samsung is a far better scaler of 1080i>720p. I might leave the 6000 outputting 1080i, then switch it to 720p when watching 720p material,like ABC and ESPN HD. No sense in having the 6000 convert 720p>1080i only to have the TV scale it back to 720p again.

So the question comes to my mind "Why is HDNet Movies this way and HBO HD isn't?" The difference has to be in the 3-2 pulldown, or encoding by the material provider.

Tried viewing in 1080i on my Samsung DLP. HDNET Movie not does NOT have skips.

So 720p from 6000 receiver had the skipping.
1080i did not have the skipping.

Thanks for your thoughts on this

ride525 said:
Tried viewing in 1080i on my Samsung DLP. HDNET Movie not does NOT have skips.

So 720p from 6000 receiver had the skipping.
1080i did not have the skipping.

Thanks for your thoughts on this

So, now we know that the 6000 skips in transition from 1080 to 720 and 720 to 1080. Interesting........ I wonder if the "adjust" click twice trick would work for this one.

Go into your 6000 menu to setup HDTV, and adjust the horizontal position of the image a couple of clicks either way.

I have reported this problem to the 6000 software team at Dish. I couldn't replicate the problem myself because my television downconverts 720p to 480p, and my downconverted 480p picture was rock solid. I suspect the problem only exists if you are connected to a native 720p display device. And, I also suspect that Dish doesn't have a native 720p display device to test it on. But we'll see what they say.

ride525 said:
I wonder if the "adjust" click twice trick would work for this one.

Could you explain the adjust click twice trick?

Go into your menu. Click 6, 1, 9. Click Adjust (you must be in High Definition for it to work). Click the left or right button twice.

This works for those jaggies that you get on ABC and ESPN-HD, when they are upconverted from their native 720 to 1080. I'm just thinking that, maybe, when you take a native 1080 and downconvert it to 720, it might work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)