jumpy ota

dpm

Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
Knoxville
About 5 days ago I began experiencing a new problem with my local CBS digital OTA signal (WVLT Knoxville. HDTV transponder 30). When I change to this channel it starts jumping, displaying the header channel information, the picture flicks on and off, the message box about display options comes on, etc. It also does this on the other subchannel of transponder 30, UPN. I am 30 miles from the tower and get above 80% signal strength on this and 6 other OTA channels, which come in fine. If I hit the INFO button, the jumping stops and the signal is fine. When I clear the box the jumping starts again. I looked at past posts but could not find anyone else having this problem. Of course, if I let this jumping go on long enough, I get BSOD.

I deleted all my digital channels and restored them, problem still the same.

I called DISH customer service, and they insist it is not their problem, there is something wrong with the signal. I asked them why I was able to get a clear signal when I pressed the info button. They replied that the picture you get when you do this is software driven. :confused:

I asked for a technician to come out, they seemed reluctant to send one, but I have one coming tomorrow afternoon. The reciever is still under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there any possible way this could be the local channel's fault?

Oh, I have an 811 reciever and radio shack antenna boom mounted. This is my first post to this great forum that I just discovered today.

dpm said:
About 5 days ago I began experiencing a new problem with my local CBS digital OTA signal (WVLT Knoxville. HDTV transponder 30). When I change to this channel it starts jumping, displaying the header channel information, the picture flicks on and off, the message box about display options comes on, etc. It also does this on the other subchannel of transponder 30, UPN. I am 30 miles from the tower and get above 80% signal strength on this and 6 other OTA channels, which come in fine. If I hit the INFO button, the jumping stops and the signal is fine. When I clear the box the jumping starts again. I looked at past posts but could not find anyone else having this problem. Of course, if I let this jumping go on long enough, I get BSOD.

I deleted all my digital channels and restored them, problem still the same.

I called DISH customer service, and they insist it is not their problem, there is something wrong with the signal. I asked them why I was able to get a clear signal when I pressed the info button. They replied that the picture you get when you do this is software driven. :confused:

I asked for a technician to come out, they seemed reluctant to send one, but I have one coming tomorrow afternoon. The reciever is still under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there any possible way this could be the local channel's fault?

Oh, I have an 811 reciever and radio shack antenna boom mounted. This is my first post to this great forum that I just discovered today.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

I have had and continue to have issues the last few days with my OTA NBC. I figured it was the station so I emailed the Chief Engineer of WREX and he wrote back confirming that the issue was on their side and not Dish's. This is the first course of action I would take. Most stations have a website, go there see if the Chief Engineer is listed in the Contact Us links, usually is. Drop him an email and ask if the station has been experiencing any issues with it's digital OTA transmission on the channel/subchannels your having issues on. I have been wrong before but I'd bet that this is on the station side and not the 811's hardware. If you have problems finding who to contact post the station call letters and city/state location and I will help you find a contact.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Hd Channel jumping WVLT Knoxville

I emailed WVLT's head engineer and he emailed back that they did a firmware
update last which created the problem on Dish 811 receivers. He stated they
were talking to their supplier and Echostar and hope to have the problem fixed soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)