Junk or treasure, GI650i

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
Found this reciever in the garage of a house I bought.I cannot find the remote. My question is if I use the the loop through on my coolsat 500 so i can control my 1 meter ku dish is there anything this reciever will pick up on the ku band?:confused:

:welcome to the forum
the GI 650 is a C / KU receiver for big dishes, its probably the top of the line GI made before going to the 4DTV series receivers. A 1 meter dish might be on the small side but several folks have played with a 1.2 meter dish and c band signals. I feel you would need a larger dish and a c band lnb or lnbf.
Remotes can be bought off auctions sites or a member here might have one.

over in the c band forum most of use use the receiver to move the big dish and slave the coolsat to it.

Its a good find for another way to enjoy this hobby..

Still using a 650 for cband analog. Great dish mover too-but you need a remote to get the sats programmed in. If you don't find a good remote for it-I have an extra (old) one that works, but the mute button is broke on it, all works other than that button.
Its called a GI IR/UHF Anywhere remote, works a 550 and 650 models.
You could use it for the KU analog with a 1m dish, if your other box will move the dish.

you vcan use it for KU too but without the remote itr can be tough. I use a Toshiba TRX-1420 for KU analog. Not a lot of feeds on there now but come fall when football starts back up there is a lot :)

you vcan use it for KU too but without the remote itr can be tough. I use a Toshiba TRX-1420 for KU analog. Not a lot of feeds on there now but come fall when football starts back up there is a lot :)

So I guess it is strictly a anolog reciever.If so that is fine. Does it have any scan features or do you have to add sats and tp's manually?Just wondering if it is worth buying a remote for it since all I have is a Ku dish. Also does anyone have a link to a manual for this reciever,can't find anything from google. Thank again.

So I guess it is strictly a anolog reciever.
correct
Does it have any scan features or do you have to add sats and tp's manually?
other than SBS6, analog has one set of numbers for KU. Each channel is 20k apart
Channel 1-11720
Channel 2-11740
Channel 3-11760
etc

polarity is not needed as the DVB box will control polarity

Just wondering if it is worth buying a remote for it since all I have is a Ku dish. Also does anyone have a link to a manual for this reciever,can't find anything from google. Thank again.
for the "manual" (or hoe to program in satellites
www.satellitehelp.com

Thanks guys,dvb is a piece of cake to me,but this is a whole new world and a new learning curve for me.Wish me luck! I'll be back with more questions I'm sure!

actually analog is pretty easy. On my Toshiba, I have 2 satellites logged in
SBS6 for SBS6 (duh!)
Galaxy7 for all others. G7 is the first one I found.

After making sure the frequencies were right thats all you need. Go to a satellite and check to see if any signals are there. On AMC2 (85W) there is a test card on channel 24 Vertical (I think on polarity). Its fuzzy but there :)

the manual for the 450 is in the manual section its close for the 650 just the 650 has a lot more bells & whistles. i suspect it will walk you through the basics just might not cover everything.

I own a 650 and have had many years of reliable service. The tuner is very sensitive and the picture quality is extremely good! The RF remote is a great feature for feeding programming around the house.

It works very well along with a DVBS receiver with the LNB selection for mechanical polarizer control or voltage control of a LNBF!

Just wish that they had a firmware update with current satellites ....... Anyone?

I also have a GI 650, I have it slaved off of my Fortec Mercury II. I have it hooked to KU only.

I still find it amazing to see a pure analog picture and how good it looks! Almost looks like HD when you look at all the compressed digital crap we have now!

You can get a remote for it at Skyvision.COM, the price is a little high but well worth it. If you are a sports fan or a news hound you will enjoy the 650 a great deal. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts