Just $10 off my bill??! Hmm . . .

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have been with Dish for over four years, including a couple of times where I had to pay $29 to get an installer out to fix an installation a previous contractor had done.

I have been offered a deal with AT&T Direct TV to get a comparable package, with a $28 monthly discount for 12 months, and also a $50 rebate. 3 months of HBO, Starz, and Showtime for free.

I wanted to stay with Dish because they have a dual DVR that DirectTV doesn' have.
On the other hand they only offered me $10 a month for 12 months in return for a 24 month commitment. Hello?? That is so low that it is ridiculous . . I may try again with a different CSR, otherwise the DirectTV bait is too good to pass up. Plus I will get another great intro offer from Dish when I come back in a year or two (they are offering $25 discounts for 6 months to new customers).

By the way, anyone who calls Dish is offered HBO and Starz for free for 3 months with no added contract extension.

Last edited:
Don't take it personal. I've been with Dish for as long as they have been around (three weeks after they started the service) and that was all that was offered to me. BTW, when you return in a year or two (or ten, for that matter), you will not be considered a new customer.

I'd say make the move to DirecTV.

The CSR told me that as long as I returned the receiver, and waited six months, I would be considered a new customer and would be eligible for any new customer discounts at that time. Does she not know what she is talking about?

The CSR told me that as long as I returned the receiver, and waited six months, I would be considered a new customer and would be eligible for any new customer discounts at that time. Does she not know what she is talking about?

That's apparently the current policy although you are classified as a returning cistomer, not a new one, but are offered the same promotions.

I have been with Dish for over four years, including a couple of times where I had to pay $29 to get an installer out to fix an installation a previous contractor had done.

I have been offered a deal with AT&T Direct TV to get a comparable package, with a $28 monthly discount for 12 months, and also a $50 rebate. 3 months of HBO, Starz, and Showtime for free.

I wanted to stay with Dish because they have a dual DVR that DirectTV doesn' have.
On the other hand they only offered my $10 a month for 12 months in return for a 24 month commitment. Hello?? That is so low that it is ridiculous . . I may try again with a different CSR, otherwise the DirectTV bait is too good to pass up. Plus I will get another great intro offer from Dish when I come back in a year or two (they are offering $20 discounts for 12 months to new customers).

By the way, anyone who calls Dish is offered HBO and Starz for free for 3 months with no added contract extension.

Been with E* since August 1998 with either annual or autobilling and I wasn't even offered the $10 per month off. Shows you what a sucker I am and how much E* values me as a customer. They even managed to charge me for a free dishmover which I still cannot get resolved. I'm seriously considering giving D* a try when I get back to the main home in April. I don't think D* will allow me to have 2 homes on the same account like E* does, so that may be a sticking point.

We all should be very happy to get the $10 discount, considering the state of the economy right now. and in a year after you switch to directv, you will be griping about only getting a small discount from them. i took the 10 bucks off and that in affect nullifies the price increase for this year. that pleases me.

Take the Max for a penny, HBO and Starz for 90 days, and pack the DVR full of movies. Any discount that D* is giving is only for 12 months as well with a two year commit. Also D* DVR isn't as advanced.

I am thinking that I will keep the HBO and Starz for 3 months, and then make the switch. By then , Dish may become a little more generous. If not, this bird has flown the coop.

Dish will supply a dual DVR unit for free, while Direct gives the first one away for free, and charges $100 for the second, separate DVR.

If I go with DTV, I will not pay the $100, but I also won't have a DVR for my second TV . . that is a bit of a bother. Maybe things will change in 3 months?

I am thinking that I will keep the HBO and Starz for 3 months, and then make the switch. By then , Dish may become a little more generous. If not, this bird has flown the coop.

Geez, I just can't believe those bastards don't want to keep you even if it means losing money.

When will some of you people learn that Dish, like any other business, is in it to make money off of you, not lose it??

DUH!!!

There comes a point where they have to say enough is enough.

Geez, I just can't believe those bastards don't want to keep you even if it means losing money.

When will some of you people learn that Dish, like any other business, is in it to make money off of you, not lose it??

DUH!!!

Those bastards, as you call them, have been making too much money at my expense. Either they pony up the same deal that all the other new customers get ($25 a month for 12 months) or I will have no choice than to take my business elsewhere. Charlie isn't the only one who knows how to play hardball . . I can do the same thing . . .

Dish will supply a dual DVR unit for free, while Direct gives the first one away for free, and charges $100 for the second, separate DVR.

If I go with DTV, I will not pay the $100, but I also won't have a DVR for my second TV . . that is a bit of a bother. Maybe things will change in 3 months?
That is the only compelling reason I have heard of DISH dvr being superior. That is a feature I don't use though, I might be the only one. The DISH also has coax out and Directv doesn't. Easily remedied with a RF Modulator for less than $15. The D* hr23 has a sata connection and a pass through for the ethernet (I could use the extra port myself). Plus a 500gb hard drive (which would be a step up for a 622).

DUH!!!

I agree that it is basic business. Bring in more than you have going out. But they can't just show your post to their subs (no matter how much sense it makes) to keep them from jumping ship. They also have to attract new subs maybe "kids watch free on Saturday".
Being one that is frustrated with DISH the lure of D*'s new customer incentives is pretty enticing. I would think hard about what DISH would have to offer me to stay before I made the call to customer retention. But I really just want SPIKE-HD. And I doubt they can give me that. :)

Lets see... Dish spends millions of dollars on satellites and other technology to bring you the best programming in SD and HD.
Millions on training of CSR's and installers.
Millions on advertising.
Million or so on nice vans for installers
Millions on research and development.
Pays out millions for wages and salaries to the people who make having dish possible.

now what if dish refunded 10.00 to every subscriber each month ==13 million X 10.00 X 12 months.. Well so much for more HD programming and better equipment.

I gotta think that a lot of people who are posting on this thread are either stockholders in Dish Network, or personally related to Charlie Ergen.

:D