Just a quick clarification....

jdsabin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Central IA, USA
I have been reading the materials posted here but still haven't ran across our particular configuration so thought I would ask what I hope to be a pretty straightforward question:

We currently have a Dish 722 HD DVR (connected to a single television), and six other HD receivers throughout the house (all 211's, all connected to HD sets). I have two switches to make this work.

Would this be a situation where I add the Hopper and then add 6 Joeys to replace the 211's then? Is it this straightforward or am I missing something entirely too obvious.

Thanks,

Jeff

As it appears now, you are not allowed to have any ViP receivers on an account with Hoppers/Joeys. We await clarification on this.

And with the three sat tuners in each Hopper, total 6, 6 of your 7 TVs could watch 6 different live sat shows. The 7th could watch what one of the others are watching or a DVR'd program. When the expected OTA tuner is added, that will allow for more live watching.

If I have a hopper with 2 joeys. When I record something will I be able to wacth 3 live shows or will it be just 2 shows and what is being recorded

sguest9 said:
If I have a hopper with 2 joeys. When I record something will I be able to wacth 3 live shows or will it be just 2 shows and what is being recorded

3 tuners = 3 live feeds = 2 live and 1 currently recording = 1 live and 2 currently recording = 0 live and 3 currently recording.

Put it this way each tuner can either tune to a live program or record a program.

However you may record 3 shows at a time while watching any previously recorded or VOD content at any time, during recording.

jdsabin1 said:
I have been reading the materials posted here but still haven't ran across our particular configuration so thought I would ask what I hope to be a pretty straightforward question:

We currently have a Dish 722 HD DVR (connected to a single television), and six other HD receivers throughout the house (all 211's, all connected to HD sets). I have two switches to make this work.

Would this be a situation where I add the Hopper and then add 6 Joeys to replace the 211's then? Is it this straightforward or am I missing something entirely too obvious.

Thanks,

Jeff

Its only 3 live feeds per hopper at any given time. While the hopper will support upto 3 joeys connected, it will still only allow 3 live feeds shared between the 4 units, 3 tvs can watch live feeds while the 4 th tv either has to watch a program already in progress on another tv, dvr'd program or sream a VOD program.

So with a seven tv set up you will need 2 hoppers and 5 joeys, this allows for 7 seperate viewing locations or 6 live programs at one time while the 7th is a "mirror" or watching a dvr'd program or vod content.

As it appears now, you are not allowed to have any ViP receivers on an account with Hoppers/Joeys. We await clarification on this.

Can you please tell us where this has come up and the reasoning behind not allowing VIPs on a Joey system? That is what I think I am going to need.

Can you please tell us where this has come up and the reasoning behind not allowing VIPs on a Joey system? That is what I think I am going to need.
I believe the information came from Scott during CES. He also recently mentioned some information about a possible six tuner limit as well.

no reasoning has been given officially, but we can speculate quite a few good reasons not to allow mixing equipment.

Regardless, it was early information. Until Dish spells it out on paper and makes a clear policy, there's not much to do but wait for a confirmation from them.

Plus the training documents gave an example of a setup that included VIP equipment, so that's more reason to just wait and see what Dish announces.

It's in the early posts in this Hopper Zone. I believe by Scott. And it's been discussed quite a bit. I could look around, but for two things:
- I have to go home now.
- It is quite possible that tomorrow it will be announced as to what the policy will actually be, so not much point in doing anything now.

The ViPs will not be able to share the whole home DVR aspect. This could be quite confusing to many customers. It appears that the future belongs to H/J and the ViP stuff will become legacy. They may well be offering financial incentives to move from ViP to H/J.

Gotta go.

I'm hoping they will let me phase in the Hoppers one at a time. Which means a VIP mix in the system while converting.

I think it's just going to be like the current max of 3 leased receivers (6 tuners). Anything more requires a switch that Dish does not want to give out for free. So I would expect that if you want to mix equipment you're going to have to purchase the VIP receivers, not lease them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts