just a quick question re: phone lines

bderouen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
South Central Louisiana
Hi all!
I've had a 622 in my house feeding one HDTV and a SD and I had it hooked to a phone line. I bought one of the wireless phone jacks to do this.

I just replaced my SD set as it finally died on me and bought a 32" LCD set for my bedroom. I had a local dish installer set up a 211 for it. It has not been hooked to a phone line (yet) and i've not received any of those irritating messages demanding it be hooked to a phone line.

My question is...do the 211s have to be hooked to a phone line to avoid that extra $5 charge? I assume they do, so I ordered another phone jack, but since i haven't received those messages, I thought...maybe not?

Again, I know that I don't literally HAVE to do it, but to avoid the extra charge, i think it's worth it and the phone jack would pay for itself in the longrun. But if it's not necessary, I'll send the phone jack back!

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

I do not have a land line in my home I just use my cell. I have 2 vp211's and am subject to the $5 fee, but your basic phone line probably costs $30-$40/month and $5/month is a lot cheaper than having a phone line

A suggestion I put forth in another thread was to consider using a voip adapter, I use a service called teliax.com which is pay per use, and the monthly fee is 5 bucks.

I'd rather pay 5 bucks to a voip provider, plus the few cents per month when it needs to call out, than pay dish 5 dollars for nothing at all, with nothing to show for it.

I do not have a land line in my home I just use my cell. I have 2 vp211's and am subject to the $5 fee, but your basic phone line probably costs $30-$40/month and $5/month is a lot cheaper than having a phone line

Oh I know. Thanks for the comment, and if I didn't have a phone line already I'd sure not bother with it. I have VoIP and only pay $15 a month and use the phone line for the 622. But I'm wondering since my 622 IS hooked to a phone line, I'm assuming my 211 would need to be too.

Also...an additional question. My Dad is getting Dish this week. He is getting 3 of the standard boxes as he has 3 TVs in his house (I forget the model number). He's getting an OTA antenna so the installer said to get the OTA feed to all boxes, he'd have to have the single feed boxes.

Anyway...do the standard boxes need phone lines too...to avoid the $5 charge?

Bruce

No the 211 isnt charge the no phone line fee, only the dual tuner receivers are...you just pay 5 dollars for the extra receivers on your account.

A suggestion I put forth in another thread was to consider using a voip adapter, I use a service called teliax.com which is pay per use, and the monthly fee is 5 bucks.

I'd rather pay 5 bucks to a voip provider, plus the few cents per month when it needs to call out, than pay dish 5 dollars for nothing at all, with nothing to show for it.

Can you use that away from a computer? Is there a way to hook the VOIP system into the home phone wiring and just hook the 622 up to a standard phone jack in the wall?

teliax.com looks perfect for me, as they have a plan that only charges by the minute, and I currently would like to get an emergency phone for when our cells are not available. If I could hook E* DVRs into the system as well, that would be fantastic.

yes, the adapter sits on the network, and you can patch the voip adapter through your phone system (at least thats what I do, since i dont use a landline).

No the 211 isnt charge the no phone line fee, only the dual tuner receivers are...you just pay 5 dollars for the extra receivers on your account.

Oh wow...crap...Now I've already ordered the phone jack for my 211. Oh well, I'll see if Sadoun sales will take it back. I dunno...maybe I'll hang onto it as a 'just in case'.

So I guess that means the single standard non-HD receivers would not be requireing the phone line either?

yes, the adapter sits on the network, and you can patch the voip adapter through your phone system (at least thats what I do, since i dont use a landline).

Thanks. Can I pick your brain one more time? I have a broadband connection and a wireless hub. What do I need to buy to make this all work. The company's web site is not entirely helpful.