Just a thought - Warning maybe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
for those of you looking at the newer FTA boxes , as we all know they are getting smaller , in doing so they are also cutting down on the input & output options.

several of the boxes i've seen lately have no RF out and only certain output. Plan ahead if your system ( tv ect) can't handle the type output.

options are still available converters , adapters ect for the olderr type tv's ( i use a old tv for my fine tuning at the dish).

This is true many of us use older TVs that do not support the newer technology. I myself cannot see buying a new TV for my living room when my 54 inch projector screen TV is working perfectly. I also connect 3 other TVs in the house using one RG-6 coax (RF) that splits to the various rooms. Just last week I ordered a RCA CRF940 RF Modulator and Video Switcher. I'm sure there are better more expensive units that will accept HDMI also but for my application this Modulator should work just fine.

Specs listed below:

RCA's CRF940 is the perfect accessory for managing competing devices on televisions with minimal inputs — not to mention enjoying DVD players or other audio/video components through older, non-"cable ready" television sets. The CRF940 accepts video inputs from four separate source components in three separate formats (one RF and four each composite-video and S-video) and routes their AV signals through its tri-format AV outputs. One of the CRF940's four sets of AV inputs is built into the front panel, facilitating spontaneous hookups of camcorders, VCRs, video game players or other devices.

Audiovox RCA CRF940 RF Modulator and Video Switch:
  • 4-input, 1-output audio/video switcher
  • Stereo analog (left/right RCA) audio connections, composite-video and S-video jacks
  • Front-panel input accommodates spontaneous hookups
  • RF antenna input, RF output to TV
  • Perfect for connecting a DVD player with an older, RF-only TV

Not only receivers but Tvs as well. I just purchased 3 55" Samsung LEDs for the office and the units do not have VGA inputs. Reason am given is most devices now have HDMI so components and VGA inputs are slowly being phased out in favour of HDMI and USB.

Cheers, K

with most receivers doing HD now why would you need a RF out?

That would be like putting a $3000 stereo system in a 77 Gremlin

lol :D well for me it was using to align my dish but i suspect other holdouts are out there.

i have upgraded my indoor tv's to more modern stuff :)

one question i should have asked Brian since he has the new MicroHD onhand to test is the receiver list as output
RCA Video ( yellow)
Audio Unbalanced red(right) / white(left) via 3.5 mm jack

didn't see a rca output did see a mini din (3.5mm jack) would this output video & audio left & right or video & mono or both
can't remember seeing a mini din to rca ( yellow red & white) adapter , but i will look I have seen mini din ( 3.5 mm jack to rca ( yellow & mono) adapter

I've not needed RF out in a long time. A couple of times that I did, for family I just used an RF modulator.

...didn't see a rca output did see a mini din (3.5mm jack) would this output video & audio left & right or video & mono or both
can't remember seeing a mini din to rca ( yellow red & white) adapter , but i will look I have seen mini din ( 3.5 mm jack to rca ( yellow & mono) adapter
It is a composite output with video, audio left, audio right. The mini-plug to 3 x RCA cables are common and not expensive.

nothing......I remember years ago (later 94 early 95) when I put about a grand worth of stereo equipment in a 80 firebird I paid $500 for :)

What ya got against Gremlins?????.........lol

I had a '72..........looking back, I wish I still had it. Now I can afford that L88 and other goodies I wanted to drop in it back then.

I agree with you Iceberg but since I will only have one receiver and have the house wired to connect three other TVs through the RF output. Rather than rewire or spend more $$ the converter is a cheap fix.

Besides just maybe I can get a few more miles out of my old Gremlin before I have to scrap it. :)

I just want receivers I can keep turned on after the sun goes down. I know, I need to harness the wind - it blows all night, too. However, my old but beautiful RCA TV with all sorts of inputs draws over 550 Watts!

Sending RF to all buildings is easy. I am not sure how to send component or HDMI anywhere. One friend said to use WiFi, but then he could not tell me what to use, but as he told me what he thought it would take .... $$$ and W W W W KW! But it shouldn't take that much power for WiFi.... And if WiFi would work, Why not Ethernet cable or regular 25 pair phone cable?

A few years back in University, I had a date that was coming home for the first time so I bought a 300$ vacumn cleaner for a 25$ 10x8 carpet.Ch

Cheers. K

PS- Yes I did score.

Welcome to Satelliteguys.
The CRF940 will accept the audio and video inputs* from the FTA box** and put it on an RF channel. The coaxial output [To TV] then are wired to the TV's. This would be an analog SD channel.
*Red and White(audio) and Yellow (Video) or the S-Video connection.
**or dvd player, ATSC converter, etc.
The TV IN coax would connect to your OTA antenna, or cable service(assuming no Ch3 or 4 is used )

nothing......I remember years ago (later 94 early 95) when I put about a grand worth of stereo equipment in a 80 firebird I paid $500 for :)

When my son was in high school in the early to mid 90s he had an '83 Plymouth Carravel. Believe me, his stereo was worth a lot more than that car. The car is long gone. Where is the expensive stereo equipment, stored in our basement. He said he didn't need it because his Lincoln MDX has a pretty good system in it. That kid has come a long way in 20 years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)