Just a thought - Warning maybe

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Some of you may remember these things. th.jpeg
They were a mega pain, it wouldn't sit flat because of the coax, looked like a wheel chock or use it to split wood.
I am somewhat interested in the new HD sat receiver, but hope that its made with a bigger box with component out at least.

This is true many of us use older TVs that do not support the newer technology. I myself cannot see buying a new TV for my living room when my 54 inch projector screen TV is working perfectly.
You will consider buying new if that projector TV should ever need repair. Time moves on. Change is constant. A new TV, considering its technology, is one of the best modern values you can buy. Real prices have gone down in the last decade, not even considering the modern devalued $. A standard definition TV looks good...until you see even pay TV compressed high definition.

Agreed with Cyberham on HD... A high definition monitor/TV (even a small panel) will blow away the image on an old SD TV set. When I watch TV at a family member or friend's house who still has SD, it is amazing how much less detail can be seen on the same material.

A high definition monitor/TV (even a small panel) will blow away the image on an old SD TV set.

Untill the HD signal is so bad, that it is full of sharp edges and lines due to the compression. Then the old 480 tube set can do a good job blending all that crap together eliminating the sharp lines and edges. Not always does the high def. monitor have a nicer image. (but most of the time does)

Untill the HD signal is so bad, that it is full of sharp edges and lines due to the compression. Then the old 480 tube set can do a good job blending all that crap together eliminating the sharp lines and edges. Not always does the high def. monitor have a nicer image. (but most of the time does)

And in the rare occasion that happens, change the resolution to 480i so you can enjoy NTSC in all off its glory...:rolleyes:

There is certainly a point at which bitstarving removes any detail increase you would see from a higher resolution. My friends with the tube SDTVs always tell me that they have the benefit of not being able to see how bad the compression really is on some sources ;) ...

And, of course, a tube display at any resolution won't show artifacts as easily as an LCD display will.

I still like the look of the CRT vs. LCD, and almost bought a "vintage" 34" CRT HDTV* brand new a number of years back, but was slightly put off by the sheer weight of the set, at 196 Lbs it was a monster. People reveled about the picture quality back then, but I'm not so sure that LCD hasn't caught up these days. What thinks you? I have only a fairly low-end LCD for comparison, but am in the market for a new LCD, two new sets actually.

*Sony KD-34XBR960

I have two Sony LCD 1080 sets. My previous set, which we still use, is a Zenith 32" CRT with AVI (Advanced Video Imaging Circuitry) and it had excellent resolution for its time, approx 560 - to compare to todays numbers. I find the Sony sets to have easily noticed increased picture quality. I have seen low cost LCD sets that do not show the best picture quality.

LCDs have certainly improved quite a bit in the last few years, and I have and use LCD displays myself. I find the advantages (much lower power consumption, lighter) overcome the drawbacks, but they still show compression artifacts more than plasma or tube.

Guess this thread has gone a little off topic, sorry... :eek:

While it would be nice to have the f connector out, the big game is in getting /finding/receiving/recording ect the channels.
So a small unit that catches the sneaky signals is ok by me.

i have 3 rf converters connected at this time for various equipment that does not have it.
i almost have a tv in every room of the home

I still like the look of the CRT vs. LCD, and almost bought a "vintage" 34" CRT HDTV* brand new a number of years back, but was slightly put off by the sheer weight of the set, at 196 Lbs it was a monster. People reveled about the picture quality back then, but I'm not so sure that LCD hasn't caught up these days. What thinks you? I have only a fairly low-end LCD for comparison, but am in the market for a new LCD, two new sets actually.

*Sony KD-34XBR960

Toucan-man I have one of those older KV-29XBR85 Sony CRT TV Sets purchased in the early 90's & picture quality is still great on it - weighs 104 pounds (Boat Anchor) and at that time the XBR Picture Tube was state of the art, it also has a great SRS & Stereo sound system. I struggled with whether to purchase LCD or Plasma for a new HDTV and settled on a Panasonic HDTV Plasma 50 inch big screen a few years ago. The Sony XBR now in a spare room has a better picture then the Non HD Channels - ie SD on the Plasma, but the Panasonic HD Channels Picture blows away any picture quality on the Sony XBR. So I would suggest you also consider a Plasma Big Screen HDTV. Also prices seem to be going down for Big Screen TV's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts