Just bought a Samsung UN65NU8000FXZA now my DISH programming looks terrible

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Minnesota
As I stated above I just bought A new Samsung 65 inch UHD TV and although anything in UHD, Ultra HD or 4K looks amazing however now all my regular dish programming looks terrible.

Either I'm confused or misunderstanding what I've read and what I've been told by Samsung technical support or some of you who have posted about upconverting our confused.

I don't know if upconverting and upscaling are two different features in different TV manufacturers but if they are one and the same, I've been told and read that a 4K TV or UHD doesn't take a regular signal that's in HD And make it better or close to 4K. What it does is takes the pixels and stretches about to fit the 4K format. Now in my experience what that's done is take a high definition picture and stretch it out to make it look terrible.

I would sure like to hear other people's opinion or fax on upscaling or upconverting, are they one in the same or are they different?

I'm afraid you are a victim of multiple misconceptions. Upconverting and upscaling are one in the same. And neither stretches a pixel, bur rather, multiplies it by 4. What does that mean for PQ? Not much, really. But it certainly does NOT make a 720p or 1080i/p image any worse. You are only going to experience the "miracle (albeit a modest one)" of 4K with video that is originated or processed to 4K. So, either your expectations of what HD should look like on a 4K set are unrealistic, or you do not have your TV set up or connected properly. And also make sure your Dish receiver is set to output to 1980i. BTW, which receiver do you have?

As I stated above I just bought A new Samsung 65 inch UHD TV and although anything in UHD, Ultra HD or 4K looks amazing however now all my regular dish programming looks terrible.

Either I'm confused or misunderstanding what I've read and what I've been told by Samsung technical support or some of you who have posted about upconverting our confused.

I don't know if upconverting and upscaling are two different features in different TV manufacturers but if they are one and the same, I've been told and read that a 4K TV or UHD doesn't take a regular signal that's in HD And make it better or close to 4K. What it does is takes the pixels and stretches about to fit the 4K format. Now in my experience what that's done is take a high definition picture and stretch it out to make it look terrible.

I would sure like to hear other people's opinion or fax on upscaling or upconverting, are they one in the same or are they different?

If you haven't already calibrated your TV, try these settings: Samsung NU8000 LED TV Calibration Settings

I'm afraid you are a victim of multiple misconceptions. Upconverting and upscaling are one in the same. And neither stretches a pixel, bur rather, multiplies it by 4.
This is true if you are talking displaying HD on a UHD set now if your are talking SD on an UHD set all bets are off, depending on your TV and provider settings the signal might be stretched by the provider then multipled by your UHD set or any number of other horrible things.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I recorded a movie off the Hallmark Drama channel during the free preview. which must be SD, since the picture was not watchable on my old 65 inch Plasma tv. I then watched a movie off the Hallmark channel and the picture was really clear.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No matter how many adjustments you make, at the end of the day, the stuff provided by dish is so compressed it looks super soft. Streamed 720p looks better than the 1080i dish provides. Even local channels through the ota adapter have better quality than the dish feed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ekilgus
No matter how many adjustments you make, at the end of the day, the stuff provided by dish is so compressed it looks super soft. Streamed 720p looks better than the 1080i dish provides. Even local channels through the ota adapter have better quality than the dish feed.

Must disagree, at least with MY locals.. I have gone back and forth with locals too many times to count, and I see no difference whatsoever...from Plasmas, to LEDs to OLEDs. As been discussed, Dish has done some tweaking in the last year or so, and PQ has improved.

Must disagree, at least with MY locals.. I have gone back and forth with locals too many times to count, and I see no difference whatsoever...from Plasmas, to LEDs to OLEDs. As been discussed, Dish has done some tweaking in the last year or so, and PQ has improved.
Yeah, same here, if the Dish image is overall "super soft", I'm not seeing it but what I think some people don't understand is that Dish is retransmitting an image, they are not the original source and the source can have as much or more to do with image quality than the retransmitter does. There can be, and sometimes is, a noticeable difference in PQ from one channel to another that can be traced back to the source. For instance, unless CBS is transmitting a live sporting event their PQ is less than stellar. Most of their pre-recorded shows have a softness to the image but that's not Dish's doing. NCIS often on indoor scenes looks like it was filmed through a dirty lense but again, that's not Dish's doing.

Nope, not for me on my 70" Sony UHD display and EA. The biggest complaint I have about PQ is the judder. It looks like frames are getting dropped.

Also, comparing locals to Dish is a crapshoot, because some local channels in some markets are so bandwidth bitstarved that they look worse than a compressed Dish transmission.

Absolutely not my experience!

Reactions: Bobby and JSheridan
Nope, not for me on my 70" Sony UHD display and EA. The biggest complaint I have about PQ is the judder. It looks like frames are getting dropped.

Yeah, no kidding. I was actually considering switching from the WA to EA, hoping the EA was judder free. Looks like it's a 'feature' for everyone on Dish. If I could choose between a softer image and judder, I'd take the softer image.

It only occurs on content originally shot at 24 FPS, never on anything at 60 FPS. But the weird thing is that it appears mostly in dark, poorly lit scenes and then only occasionally - 3 or 4 times during a one hour show. Everything else looks OK. Apparently, they've chosen judder as the lesser of whatever evils they are trying to cover up.

And for the record, I have four TV's, from a 2009 plasma to a 2017 4K. I see it consistently across all four TVs and is repeatable only in the scenes that it originally appeared in. Turning "judder" settings on or off has no effect. And it's only on Dish. I see no judder from any other source; blu-ray, OTA, streaming etc.

Yeah, no kidding. I was actually considering switching from the WA to EA, hoping the EA was judder free. Looks like it's a 'feature' for everyone on Dish. If I could choose between a softer image and judder, I'd take the softer image.

It only occurs on content originally shot at 24 FPS, never on anything at 60 FPS. But the weird thing is that it appears mostly in dark, poorly lit scenes and then only occasionally - 3 or 4 times during a one hour show. Everything else looks OK. Apparently, they've chosen judder as the lesser of whatever evils they are trying to cover up.

And for the record, I have four TV's, from a 2009 plasma to a 2017 4K. I see it consistently across all four TVs and is repeatable only in the scenes that it originally appeared in. Turning "judder" settings on or off has no effect. And it's only on Dish. I see no judder from any other source; blu-ray, OTA, streaming etc.

I see it on a variety of content, but, like you say, only a few times in an hour, or so. I also only see it with Dish, and not other sources.

I recently got the same NU8000 TV in 75" and after calibrating it (Samsung NU8000 LED TV Calibration Settings) the picture was much improved.

Now for the WOW! factor, after you've implemented these calibration settings, set your picture mode to "Natural".