Just Cancelled (2/11/2013)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
It's been exactly 4 weeks ago tonight that our VIP722K receiver failed and no longer received a signal. During that time my family viewed our programming via OTA, FTA satellite, Roku and our DVD collection and discovered that we really didn't miss Dish all that much. With the recent price increases it was the right time to cancel. The savings will go towards my retirement.

We have OTA FTA and the Roku. Dish has until my wife watches the rest of her DVR'd stuff & we're done.
Getting a TIVO so she can still record the networks OTA in HD. I'll be glad to save over a hundred $$ a month.
Netflix has most of the stuff my daughters watch.
Not Dish's fault, we just don't watch 90% of it.

Hey if you can live without, why not? Now more than ever there have been other options. Me personally? It's not just about the channels I want (though that's the main thing.) It's about the whole experience. With Hopper (and even 722,) TV is a joy (even if there are 100 other channels that are crap and I'll never watch.) Even if I didn't have sat channels that I wanted, I still wouldn't like being without Hopper for OTA.

We have OTA FTA and the Roku. Dish has until my wife watches the rest of her DVR'd stuff & we're done.
Getting a TIVO so she can still record the networks OTA in HD. I'll be glad to save over a hundred $$ a month.
Netflix has most of the stuff my daughters watch.
Not Dish's fault, we just don't watch 90% of it.

Why not get the channel master OTA DVR? You can DVR programs on that and it doesn't have any monthly fees.

Why not get the channel master OTA DVR? You can DVR programs on that and it doesn't have any monthly fees.

It is hard to beat the TiVo DVR experience. If you can find a used one with lifetime you do not have the fees (essentially you paid up front).

If it wasn't for the fact that my daughter loves Disney Jr. and the fact that we are too far away for OTA we would consider not having pay TV service.

I've never used any Tivo products before. I've heard good things but have never needed to use one.

The premier has Netflix and Hulu integrated. The newer tivo boxes also support DLNA and have desktop software to transfer recording to and from the dvr.

We cut the cord once a few years ago w/ a TivoHD (before the premiere) and have considered doing it again. The cheapest we could get a tivo premiere with lifetime service was ~$600 last we looked. It has come down some since.

Last edited:
It is hard to beat the TiVo DVR experience. If you can find a used one with lifetime you do not have the fees (essentially you paid up front).

Some of us HATE the "TiVo Experience." Cutesy, annoying and slow. Of course, my experience is several years old.

I have a DTV DVR Pal, the predecessor to the Channel Master. LOVE IT! Just got to remember TVGOS is going away, but PSIP is much better than nothing.

Some of us HATE the "TiVo Experience." Cutesy, annoying and slow. Of course, my experience is several years old.

I have a DTV DVR Pal, the predecessor to the Channel Master. LOVE IT! Just got to remember TVGOS is going away, but PSIP is much better than nothing.

They are a lot faster now and you can turn off the cutesy if you like. The Series 3 has a better OTA tuner than the Premiere, but the Premiere has HD menus/guides/PiP etc.

There are a couple big differences between a Tivo and a ChannelMaster unit/DTVPal DVR

1. Tivo guide is up to 14 days out (usually 12+...last night I had guide info for Sunday the 24th already).....with TVGOS being dropped the DTVPalDVR/CM units only go up to 3 days out. Folks have reported only 12 hours on some channels
2. name based recording on a Tivo..just like the Dish/Directv dvr's do. Last I checked the CM/Pal DVR didnt
3. Tivo has dual buffers all the time. One button and boom flip to the other tuner

There are a couple big differences between a Tivo and a ChannelMaster unit/DTVPal DVR

1. Tivo guide is up to 14 days out (usually 12+...last night I had guide info for Sunday the 24th already).....with TVGOS being dropped the DTVPalDVR/CM units only go up to 3 days out. Folks have reported only 12 hours on some channels
2. name based recording on a Tivo..just like the Dish/Directv dvr's do. Last I checked the CM/Pal DVR didnt
3. Tivo has dual buffers all the time. One button and boom flip to the other tuner

Plus the original Channelmaster dvr is no longer being made. If you want new, you'll need to pick-up the CM7400. While it can use PSIP info (which is short and/or unreliable in most cases), you can purchase a yearly guide for $49.99 per year. I took advantage of a Tivo deal last month for a refurbished 500gb Premiere with wireless G adaptor and lifetime sub for $423.99. A better option IMO because of Tivo Desktop being installed on my HTPC. You can't transfer those recordings (in HD anyway) off of those Channelmaster units.

I received the offer because I have a Tivo series 2 w/lifetime and no Premiere models. We're seriously looking at "cutting the cord" now. A good ota dvr with a Roku is a game changer for many people.

HTPC! One time cost. No fees. Unlimited storage potential.
Confusing for many people though. My wife never touches my HTPC (with 2 tuners), yet loves both our Dish 722K and our Tivo's. And a Tivo with lifetime has no extra fees either.

I personally love my HTPC. I watch WMC recordings plus recordings transfered from the Tivos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts