Just cranked up my antique system after several years... ready to dump cable!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeboyd

Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
NC
I have a 5 foot KTI c/ku mesh mini-bud that used to do a very good job across the arc here in North Carolina.
Got analog c/ku and a little bit of clear digital stuff with my analog GI450i and a DSR905 digital "sidecar".
Plus, I got lots of fta mpeg-2/dvb stuff with my pansat 2500A.

I used to align my dish by first finding an analog satellite with my 650i. Now, there are none.
My question is how to I get lined up again? Is there anything up there that my 650i or my pansat 2500A can detect?
All the digital used to be mpeg-2/dvb. Now, instead of dvb it's dvb-s. Is that the same as dvb? Can my pansat see dvb-s? When did dvb-s replace dvb?
I can see that there's lots of dvb-s2 and mpeg-4 stuff which I assume my pansat will not receive. I feel like Rip-Van-Winkle!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Welcome to the site Jim!!

There is still lots of stuff the 2500A will receive. You are right most things now are going to DVB-S2, and yes you will need a new receiver for that, and I recommend it, or you will be missing a lot. Also the S2 signals are harder to get so you won't get all the C-Band stuff with a 5 footer. Soon you will be wanting to look for an 8-12 footer. There are a hand full of analog still up, and by that I mean a literal hand full. 5 last time I heard. You can still use the 450i or 650i as a dish mover. There are other options, if later you want to automate things.

What part of NC are you located in? I am near Murphy.

I'm on the Outer Banks ... about as far from you as anyone can get and still be in NC!
Good to know the 2500A will still see the DVB-S stuff. At least I can tune for that and the mpeg-2.
I have ordered a cheap $8 sat signal meter that I hope will help me get my dish tuned to a sat, any sat again.
It was hard enough to get on the digitals back in the days when I could start with a solid analog signal on W6 (72West) or such.
Any ideas about which sat to start with these days?

If you can get to "C4"135w the 2 analog shopping channels are still there,9&10 .Cspan analog 7 and TWC(VCII) 13 on "C3"131w.Sheperd's channel,analog 16 on "G4"99w,also might find some dvb-s stuff for the 2500.It might be tough with a 5 footer but look here for an idea of what you might find/be able to get;

North & South America - LyngSat

C-Band
72W AMC 6 3936 whoops it's S2
78W Simon Bolivar 3888 V 23000 (sometimes another pops up) Very close to the 'center of the arc' for you.
Close enough to set the elevation. Then work E or W to set the azimuth.
global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html for TP info.
:welcome to Satelliteguys
BTW: "cheap $8 sat signal meter" will get you close, but use the FTA box's Quality meter to 'zero in' on the signal.

Thanks! Very helpful info, guys.
From the charts, it looks like I can search for either Ku on 72W (11966H, 1666, KFTL-CA) or C on 78W (3888V, 23000, TVes).
Which signal is easier to find on a given sat, C or Ku? Or does it matter.
The up-to-date charts are great!

Tune up on the C band first with a BUD. Then Really tiny adjustments to tune up the Ku.
C is easier, wider "beam" than Ku on a BUD.

Thanks guys. Confirms what I thought.
Looking at 72W I see a Cband signal on the charts at 3936V, 2825, but it is mpeg-4.
Do you know if my Pansat 2500A will show a "signal quality" there even though it can't decode it?
Or do I have to go with 78W for the nearest Cband mpeg-2?
Thanks again.

I'm still struggling to get a signal back on my mini(5 foot) BUD.
If anyone still has an analog c-band set up, please verify for me that 99W, tp16, 4020V is still showing Shephard's Chapel and that 111W, tp2, 3740V is still showing VESN from 8:45AM to 11:30AM ET. This current info would be a big help since the charts for certain channels can be way out of date.
TIA

Ok. That helps me a lot.
Since I can't even find a hint of that C-band analog signal I can focus on checking my coax connections and my lnbs.
Thanks very much.

SUCCESS!
Found a rotten coax connection, fixed it and my system is lighting up once again.
Thanks for your help,
Jim

Glad to see you got it back up and running!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)