Just defected to DirecTv from Dish

Well, I took the plunge and signed up for DirecTv. I've been a customer of Dish for nearly 6 years but I just could not wait any longer for more HD. Install is Sat. Apr 5. I'll get HD service to 2 tv's for $54.98 for 12 months, Free Showtime & Starz for 3 months and a 50.00 credit (Five ten-dollar credits) for saying that my brother recommended them. Of course he also gets the same 50.00 credit. This was just too good of a deal to pass up. I did have to pay 99.00 for the 2nd receiver, the first one was free. Hope I made the right decision, I guess l'll find out Saturday between 8 and 12.
What took you so long? :)

I too have defected my friends....

I said last week, it was D-Day for me....nothing came so I left.....My D* install is Saturday.....Even if Dish adds something substantial I'm not canceling the install....

My neighborhood used to be filled with Dish subs now I'm one of the few left with Dish....But not anymore....I tried to wait it out as long as I could...Good luck to those still waiting I hope Charlie gives you all the HD you could ever want "soon"....

Sure you don't want to call Directv and put off your install for a few more days? I think there are some surprises planned for this week :)

I for one don't want to wait. I'm already regretting that I waited this long. Direct has more HD, including my locals, video on demand, I'm adding HD to my other TV and 2 more DVR's to the house. Plus I got a great deal. I will keep the lowest HD package from E* for awhile though. I have some DVR's to finish up.

And I certainly don't think this belongs in the war zone. People are just stating their thoughts and reasons for leaving.

I still hope there is good news this week, but I don't think E* will meet all of my above stated needs. I'll re-evaluated my options in 2 years.

I will join the crowd. I defected on Saturday. My install is on April 9th (damn Dallas area is backed up for installs so I will miss the BSG premeir, doh! - well, unless Dish actually launches Sci-FI HD this week) - . I am taking a rather large hit on breaking my contract, but I received such a good deal that it offsets this and more. I am going to miss my VIP-622 which is about my only regret with switching. I have been with Dish for 3 years now. I was previously with DirecTV for 10 years, but they pissed me off with their enemic TIVO receiver support at the time. Of course I am over TIVO now since the VIP622 showed that others can do competant DVRs also, so that is no longer a factor. (granted "competant" may be an overly strong word for DirecTVs DVR).

My D - Day will be the end of May. If the greatly antcipated Eastern Arc has happen by then, or if it has happen, and it is no big deal then I will switch. I want my HD locals so bad before next football season, and Direct has them now, so if Dish doesn't increase its national HD by May 31st to the point that it is at less close to Direct's, and if they don't have my HD locals by then, or at less give me a warm cozy feeling that I will get them by Sept. 1st, then after 8 years with Dish, it will be good-by Dish hello Direct.

Off topic, but one thing I have always wondered: how come there are always significantly more Dish posters in the Dish forums than DirecTV posters in the DirecTV forums. DirecTV has more subscribers, so I am surprised by this. Either Dish subscribers are more technically inclined and keep abreast of the latest developements, or ???

Okay, a dumb question here but does the HR20 allow for OTA HD recording at the same time as on-sat recording?

Okay, a dumb question here but does the HR20 allow for OTA HD recording at the same time as on-sat recording?

Yes, no difference between the two types. Mix and match all you want, even throw a VoD download at the same time and you can then do three at a time.

D* HR21 was a dog. Sticking with E*

I recently decided to go for D* with a promo at a local satellite shop last Saturday only. Installed Sunday, cancelled Monday. The HR21 was a total dog compared to my tried and true 622. The menu system was extremely slow, not knowing if my remote input had registered, I was constantly going through multiple pages as the input finally registered, and would have to page back to get to what I was looking for. Often would take 3-4 seconds from button push to response. Called D* this morning, thank goodness. Told I have 24 hours to cancel without ETF and within that window. They offered to send me out another receiver, but would then be locked into a two year contract. First impressions are hard to ignore. I could not see myself sticking with that receiver with the horrible lag for 2 years. Hope they get it fixed or that I just had a bad receiver. Sticking with E* for now

Yes the HR21's slow remote response is the only complaint we have now, more so with the wife, I am not that impatient. But she mastered our 622's before so I don't blame her.

Everything else has so far exceeded our expectation.

Anyone here complaining about the HR-21 has probably never used a Scientific Atlanta 8000 series STB. Biggest POS I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

The 2 year commitment is what keeps me from venturing to DIRECTV. How much is the early disconnect charge? Dish carries my locals, and has announced them coming in HD in the first half the year block. DIRECTV does not carry them in HD or SD yet. The only way for me to work with DIRECTV right now is to build a linux box HD DVR for local channels. I have considered it but 2 years is too long a commit to try out the grass...

I recently decided to go for D* with a promo at a local satellite shop last Saturday only. Installed Sunday, cancelled Monday. The HR21 was a total dog compared to my tried and true 622. The menu system was extremely slow, not knowing if my remote input had registered, I was constantly going through multiple pages as the input finally registered, and would have to page back to get to what I was looking for. Often would take 3-4 seconds from button push to response. Called D* this morning, thank goodness. Told I have 24 hours to cancel without ETF and within that window. They offered to send me out another receiver, but would then be locked into a two year contract. First impressions are hard to ignore. I could not see myself sticking with that receiver with the horrible lag for 2 years. Hope they get it fixed or that I just had a bad receiver. Sticking with E* for now

I HAD THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE. canceled within the hour of installation. D* did not refund my money though they did let me out of the contract without any further fees. When D* gets a better hd dvr and if we're still in the same slump here, then i'll make the switch again.

Yes, no difference between the two types. Mix and match all you want, even throw a VoD download at the same time and you can then do three at a time.
The Dish 722 allows you to record three shows at once. Two shows on satellite and one OTA. Does DirecTV's receiver allow this? I was under the impression that the DirecTV receiver only allows you to record two shows at the same time.

The Dish 722 allows you to record three shows at once. Two shows on satellite and one OTA. Does DirecTV's receiver allow this? I was under the impression that the DirecTV receiver only allows you to record two shows at the same time.

Three is only allowed if one of the recordings is a VoD.

Its only TV. HD TVs are not worth the extra cost .

Dude, you are in the wrong place. That's like going into a church and decrying that religion is a bunch of hooey. Really, who are you to tell others what is and is not worth it to them? I love to watch baseball. I love to watch it in HD. It is well worth it to me. Damn, was color worth the extra cost, just wondering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)