Just did something interesting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As many of you may know I work in one of Hartford's largest buildings. I found out a few weeks ago that the Sirius Satellite Radio Repeater for Hartford was located on the top of our building.

I got a call a few hours from a friend of mine who was installing a Satellite Dish on the top of my building, he asked me if I wanted to go on the roof, and I jumped at the chance.

Below are some photos from up on the roof. Im my next message below I will post my pictures of the Sirius Repeater Stuff. :)

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 598
  • scott_roof.jpg
    scott_roof.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 450
  • john.jpg
    john.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 435
  • hartford1.jpg
    hartford1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 440
  • dishinstall.jpg
    dishinstall.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,006
Now up here are a bunch of small dish's as well as the Sirius Repeater for Hartford.

They have a Big KU Dish (Picture 1) setup (and on the back there is a Sirius Satellite Radio Plaque) However I am not sure if the KU LNB is picking up the signal, or the little box on the ground (Picture 2) which looks like it is somekind of LNB pointed sraight up at the Sky. The box on the back had a nametag on it which said Sirius Satellite Radio (picture 3)

Now I followed the cables from the Sirius antennas to a little building and on top of the building there are two antennas. If I were a guessing guy I would say the first antenna (picture 4) is the Sirius Repeater Antenna. however it may be the second antenna (picture 5)

If anyone from Sirius knows for sure please let me know. :)

Attachments

• srius1.jpg
    srius1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 457
  • sirius2.jpg
    sirius2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 523
  • sirius3.jpg
    sirius3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 514
  • sirius4.jpg
    sirius4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 524
  • sirius5.jpg
    sirius5.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 509
There were a lot more antennas and microwave antennas on the roof as well, here are some more photos.

If anyone knows what some of this stuff is I would love to know. :)

Attachments

• ant1.jpg
    ant1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 341
  • ant2.jpg
    ant2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 281
  • ant3.jpg
    ant3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 264
Rated #1 in USCHO.com Division I hockey poll (first time in 19 years)....yeah baby!!!

Don't worry BC will take that right back from ya! Go BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BFG said:
Don't worry BC will take that right back from ya! Go BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think so...It took us 19 years to get this...we ain't giving it up that easy :)
I'll be rooting for North Dakota Friday night (they play BC)

Meh we've been ranked number one a lot more times than you, so I'd say it is easy to get it back :)

Dang it E*!!!! we still don't have CSTV!! Is it sitting up their in the clear or is it scrambled, just not avail to subs?

BFG said:
Dang it E*!!!! we still don't have CSTV!! Is it sitting up their in the clear or is it scrambled, just not avail to subs?

still scrambled. Even when I scan the KU band for the game (from the uplink), CSTV usually scrambles it or makes it 4:2:2 so regular FTA receivers can't get it

But I'll be watchign it on NHL Network from ExpressVu :)

Scott,

You look like you are glowing in your picture.
Is that from all the RF & Microwave you absorbed?:D

Could be. :) Actually I do feel more awake and energized since going up there. :)

Actually I brightened up the picture a little as I looked too dark.

It was kind of neat going up there, now I wish I knew what all that stuff was up there.

Iceberg said:
CSTV usually scrambles it or makes it 4:2:2 so regular FTA receivers can't get it

Is 4:2:2 the FEC rate, if so I think I've read about PCI users being able to receive it, what would I'd be looking for in a product to know if it can decode 4:2:2?

BFG said:
Is 4:2:2 the FEC rate, if so I think I've read about PCI users being able to receive it, what would I'd be looking for in a product to know if it can decode 4:2:2?

ask it over in the FTA section. There's some people who have PC cards. Receivers that can do 4:2:2 are around 3 grand

If that's the case Scott, where the Sirius repeater is located in Hartford then I can just guess now where in Louisville ours is. I wish I could find out for sure. Great pics by the way!!

What was the guy installing the new dish for, if you don't mind me asking?

The dish is for DirecTV, the owner of the building is putting in a waterfall in the lobby with a giant plasma TV sticking out of the middle which will air MSNBC.

While it was a little windy up there it was ot as bad as I expected. :) (Although since the pictures were taken this afternoon I have gotten a haircut. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
While it was a little windy up there it was ot as bad as I expected. :) (Although since the pictures were taken this afternoon I have gotten a haircut. :D
I'll assume then that you are the guy in the 2nd picture that looks like you need a haircut, not the balding old guy or the installer wearing the cap.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They have a Big KU Dish (Picture 1) setup (and on the back there is a Sirius Satellite Radio Plaque) However I am not sure if the KU LNB is picking up the signal, or the little box on the ground (Picture 2) which looks like it is somekind of LNB pointed sraight up at the Sky. The box on the back had a nametag on it which said Sirius Satellite Radio (picture 3)

Now I followed the cables from the Sirius antennas to a little building and on top of the building there are two antennas. If I were a guessing guy I would say the first antenna (picture 4) is the Sirius Repeater Antenna. however it may be the second antenna (picture 5)

If anyone from Sirius knows for sure please let me know. :)

I'm not from Sirius, but I am a communications tech. I was originally stumped by Picture 2, with a wire-looking grill pointing at the sky. It appears to be a sensor. Turns out, Environmental Technology, Inc. (from the name plate) makes antenna de-icer solutions...it's probably a heated dish! Picture 4 is of a standard model GPS receiver antenna, commonly used for phase locking radio transmitters. Picture 5, with a barely readable "Andrew" logo, is most likely to be the transmit antenna. Nice pix, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)