Just downgraded to HD Essentials

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I looked at the list over and over and just could night find a good reason to pay an extra $10/month for channels I don't watch. Has anybody that has downgraded found that they really missed any channels? The only thing I watched on any of these channels was on Universal and that was BSG but I've been watching them on DVD now trying to catch up for the new season.

One or two channels of Voom, and Universal HD are the only things keeping me hooked into the higher priced pack. If we ever get USA HD or Sci-Fi HD, I may dump it at that point.

I did the same thing, and thus far haven't even noticed the channels were gone. I thought my kids would have a fit because the gaming channel is gone. I haven't even told them I downgrading and they haven't even noticed.

I did the same thing, and thus far haven't even noticed the channels were gone. I thought my kids would have a fit because the gaming channel is gone. I haven't even told them I downgrading and they haven't even noticed.

Well, that's good. When we first got the Voom channels I was pretty excited but I probably have not watched 10 programs on them in the 2 or 3 years we've had them.

I sidegraded to HD Only and cut my bill in half. No complaints in my house so far. My kids just switched what they watch to another show. Cash Cab seems to be a favorite right now.

Downgraded from AT250 + HD + Locals to HD Only + Locals two months ago. Haven't missed anything except my RSN. If something big were to happen in the news, I'd probably miss CNN, but one of the locals would probably carry it.

I downgraded to HD Essentials a few weeks after it was offered. I have not missed any of the channels. The only channel I lost that I watched was Universal HD and that channel is not worth $10.00.

I also downgraded to HD Essentials. Never watched Universal HD much or VOOM at all. The one I miss a little bit is HD Net Movies. Instead of saving myself $10 a month I subscribed to Starz, gaining a lot more movies and another HD channel.

A month and a half ago I had downgraded from AEP and HD ultimate to top 250 and HD essential, then again a few days later to Top 200 and HD essential. I noticed the programming on the Voom channels, Monsters in particular, started to look better, so I went back to HD Ultimate, while staying at Top 200, and plus they let me have Cinemax for a penny, eventhough it was only about a month and a half since I canceled it.

I will probably drop to HD Essentials once my 6 months of HD Ultimate are over. I have two or three months left. Once SciFi HD gets lit up, won't really need Universal HD anymore. Hopefully that will happen before I actually have to start paying for HD ;)

I dropped down from AEP and HD Ultimate to 250 and essentials. Really don't miss anything in VOOM side except Universal, however didn't really watch that either. Don't really miss the HBO, Starz etc. Decided to do Netflix instead and save myself 40 dollars, and get the movies we want to watch.

I don't think it's worth $10 more a month for HD channels that consist of crap. Voom big deal.

I do hope dish will restructure things again and make it a simple $10 a month like D* has done once they start launching more content in order to compete. What would be the chances of that??

I did the same thing. Voom and the few others are not woth $10 more by a long shot. Thanks Dish for saving me $10 for a change.

I don't think it's worth $10 more a month for HD channels that consist of crap. Voom big deal.
I certainly won't disagree with your opinion, but the same can be said about Sci-Fi HD, CNNHD, CartoonHD, USAHD, SpeedHD...and programming involving college basketball and NASCAR; there is butt loads of crap with this family of bandwidth wasters and all their ilk.

A much larger concern is the lack of any real HD in the DishHD-Lite lineup. Where is the outrage over this issue which, to my recollection, started back in October 2005?:confused: Never mind, HD customers have left for better places...FiOS...DirecTV...and even Cable. It's a shame because we really enjoyed the 622 and Dish Network service. We just couldn't stand another eye-gouging day of DishHD-Lite.:shh

No, the 510 is not an HD receiver.

But don't they give you the SD versions of the HD channels that are available in the HD package? So he could watch those on his 510, just not the HD only channels.
( I am assuming he has a HD receiver also )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)