Just for me the understand the new DirecTV HD DVR receiver...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pintnight

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
that does MPEG-4 that I have been reading about all year long and it looks like it's now availble. Is that model the H20?

If so, I think I need to get on the band wagon since December 8 is when Dallas will get activated.

The H-20 is not a DVR. There is currently no HD-DVR available that can decode an MPEG-4 datastream. An HD-DVR with MPEG-4 capability is supposed to be available in the first quarter of 2006.

hdtvtechno said:
model # for the new DVR will be Directv HR20-250 Mpeg 4 DVR
Looking at the name I guess the hdd in the box will be 250GB. Do you think that the recording capacity of mpeg4 programms will be increased (in terms of the number of hours) compared to mpeg2? If yes, how much?

milfab said:
Looking at the name I guess the hdd in the box will be 250GB. Do you think that the recording capacity of mpeg4 programms will be increased (in terms of the number of hours) compared to mpeg2? If yes, how much?

MPEG4 can use 1/2 the bandwidth of MPEG2. However it is up to D* how much they compress it. I have not seen any data on the bitrates for the local HD MPEG4 streams, so I don't think anyone outside of D* knows what the bitrate is. But I think you can expect between a 30 to 50% increase in record time for MPEG4 channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts