Just got DirecTV... first impressions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Eibon

Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I found this forum doing a Google search for "actionmax" + "directv", more on that below :(

I live in Boise, Idaho.

I got a letter last Friday from the glorified slumlords that own our apartment complex, telling us that the free cable deal, which has been in place since 1989, ends Sep. 30. So no more free TV for us. This was just the excuse I needed to switch to dish, as the cable company in Boise (Cable One) is an abomination - they have a pisspoor channel lineup and are overpriced. I really appreciated it when they took Court TV and moved it to the digital tier, to "add value" to that service. What a bunch of clowns.

Anyway... I looked in the Yellow Pages and called an installer to make sure I could get DTV since I have trees outside my apartment. Everything was fine, so I ordered the NFL Sunday Ticket special... $62 and change per month for 4 months, this pays for the NFL deal and I get pretty much everything else for free. After the 4 months I can move into any 'Total Choice' plan I want.

It was installed Monday. I was scheduled for a morning install but the guy didn't show up until after 3pm. I guess this is typical.

Now that I have the service, here are my impressions:

1. They didn't have the 3 LNB newer dish to give me, so I got the one that gets those Spanish channels - *I* don't get the Spanish channels but that is the type of dish they gave me. Should I pester them to upgrade me when they get the new ones in here in a few weeks?

2. No local channels. The website says that Boise will get local channels THIS YEAR, 2004. Well, why can't DTV tell me WHEN they will be on? Are they just going to wake up one morning and say "Wow, let's turn those local channels on now!"? I am afraid that they will give us people in Boise the shaft and not turn these on until Dec. 15 or something.

3. The premium channel packages SUCK. At least the Cinemax one does. I got online this morning and was all excited... I looked at the Cinemax website and saw that some of my favorite movies were on. 'Race With the Devil', 'The Entity', etc were playing on ThrillerMAX or ActionMAX. So I bring up the guide to see what time they are on here (Mountain)... and those channels are not even on DTV. At least 4 cool Cinemax channels and big, bad DirecTV doesn't even carry them. After 4 months goes by I will NOT be ordering any package that has to do with Cinemax... what a joke.

4. I have a feeling I'm going to be disapointed with this service, because all the rumors of new channels on here have to do with "Oh boy they are getting 134 new HD channels". Well, who cares? I don't HAVE HDTV. MOST of the subscribers to DTV don't have HDTV. Why don't they try adding Goodlife, GAC, the rest of the Cinemax channels, MY local channels, etc. etc. etc. before worrying about HDTV? :(

Rant over.

E

All i gotta say is welcome to DIRECTV

Yes i would keep calling until they give you the 3 lnb dish.

Yes the cinemax does suck and i hate it also....but they are getting more in the future...Just wait

If you are getting the Spanish channels you have the oval dish which is probably what you will need if your locals are going to come off 119. The complaint about locals and Actionmax falls on your shoulders, you should have checked before you bought to be sure you were getting what you wanted.

boba said:
If you are getting the Spanish channels you have the oval dish which is probably what you will need if your locals are going to come off 119. The complaint about locals and Actionmax falls on your shoulders, you should have checked before you bought to be sure you were getting what you wanted.

As I said before, I am NOT getting the Spanish channels, but I DO have the type of dish required to receive them, because the triple LNB ones were out of stock.

I did check before I bought, and they said locals were coming this year. But, when I questioned further, they couldn't tell me exactly when. It is August already... how can they NOT know when they will be available? As I asked before, will somebody wake up one day and say "Hey, let's give those guys their local channels now"?

The Cinemax I didn't even know about, I had no idea they had all those different MAX channels until checking this morning, and upon finding out they have them, I find it hard to believe that DTV can't/won't carry them.

E

The Spanish dish is the 3lnb dish. There is no "Spanish" dish. You need the 3lnb dish to receive some HD, some locals and Spanish programming so you do have the 3lnb dish. Here is a link that shows it a little better dishlink

The Spanish Dish (Called a Para Todos Dish) can be a 3 LNB Dish, by default the Para Todos Dish comes with 2 LNB's and then you can add a C Kit for the 3rd LNB for the 110 satellite.

Adding locals is not as easy as them just waking up and saying "Lets turn this city on" a lot of work must be done behind the scenes including a Fiber link from the station to the DirecTV uplink. Sometimes getting the phone companies to get the fiber in place is wasier said then done. :)

Cinemax sucks. :D (Well except at night when it becomes SkinOMax. :D

The number of HD numbers is growing every day, now more HD compatable sets are being sold then non HD sets. :)

One thing you will have to think about concerning HD. In order for more HD sets to be sold, by that I mean for more consumers to want HD sets, there has to be the programming in place for it. Things are okay with 6 or 7 HD channels in place, but there's always room for more. :)

As far as the dish you got is concerned if your locals, when they come online, require the triple LNB dish (like mine require it), then push Directv to get you the upgrade for free.

Cinemax, nah... SkinOMax is definately fun. :D

Eibon said:
4. I have a feeling I'm going to be disapointed with this service, because all the rumors of new channels on here have to do with "Oh boy they are getting 134 new HD channels". Well, who cares? I don't HAVE HDTV. MOST of the subscribers to DTV don't have HDTV. Why don't they try adding Goodlife, GAC, the rest of the Cinemax channels, MY local channels, etc. etc. etc. before worrying about HDTV? :(
E

Just because it isn't important to you doesn't mean that they should devise their programming list because of what you want. They are going on what will make them the most money and what will get them the most new subscribers. Sometimes they do listen to customers, very seldom though.

I am with Scott on this one. Cinespaz does suck ... but that is me. I am sorry that you cannot get the channels you want. Read around the board and this is the source of a lot of griping about what channels, even by the Voomers and E*. By my thoughts D* should be weeding out channels like NASA & Internationals until they have enough space to carry all the premium channels with the E/W feeds and the E/W HD feeds.

But I am an ass to, so be it. If you want international TV .... MOVE out of the country.

Either way, your cable (digital or not) never provided you with the picture quality that you will get from DirecTV ... they can't touch D* with a 100' pole. 400 beautiful lines on EVERY channel. If you really want the most from the service you should pick up a DirecTivo too ... that is the only way I can watch TV anymore. Oh an you better get an HDTV soon ... in 2006 when analog channels are no more you will have BARS top and bottom .....

boba said:
If you are getting the Spanish channels you have the oval dish which is probably what you will need if your locals are going to come off 119.

Eibon (& everyone else) - you DO have the oval dish. (& there is ONLY one type of oval dish D* installs now, which has ALL 3 LNB's standard) The problem you have, is that YOUR locals will be coming off a bird at 72.5, which CANNOT be received by ANY oval dish anyway. (didn't anyone else notice this, since he said he was from Boise, ID???) It will require a 2nd 18" dish pointed at it, but since they do NOT have the switches produced yet, nor the satellite in place, that is why they could NOT install it now.

BUT, the only problem you might run into then, is if you CANNOT "see" the satellite at 72.5 - if you can't then you're going to have problems. Since you said that you ARE in an apartment, I might see you having an issue with this.

Just be patient & when they are available, I'm sure D* will upgrade you for free. And welcome to D*.

I hope they add a ton more HD in the near future.

I am a happy HD customer, as are thousands of other families. It is not mystery that HD subscribers most commonly subscribe to the HD package, as well as total choice premier to get all channels. These are the folks that shoot in a ton of revenue into Directv, so they should be made happy with additional HD channels.

Once it hits midnight on Jan 1 you can start complaining about locals. Until then, 2004 is not over, and you can wait. Does everyone remember when it was next to impossible to get locals through Primestar (before Directv merger)? It took me years to get locals!!!

I hope that they add more HD channels before "Boise local channels". It sure is amazing where people live these days.

Adding locals is not as easy as them just waking up and saying "Lets turn this city on" a lot of work must be done behind the scenes including a Fiber link from the station to the DirecTV uplink.
May be the case in most cities, but I have taken a tour of KNME (PBS) here in Albuqueruqe, NM. They are the uplink for locals for both Dish and DirecTV. They have an antenna set up for each channel and each provider, quite an impressive contraption. But their reception is all done OTA before uplink.

It may be because of their location (excellent view of the top of the Sandia mountains) and the fact that the all of the broadcast antennas are at the (basically) same location. They have been doing Dish for a couple of years and just brought D* up in June.

I have been a directv guy from day 1. I just bought a HD tv and i hope like hell more channels to come out because the picture is awesome. Can't wait for the football games this year. So I for one do care about HD programing and more and more hd tv's are being sold so directv will continue to upgrade that area.

eibon,

I didn't see you mention DirecTivo in your post. Did you get a DirecTivo? The DirecTivo DVR is the best reason to get DirecTV service and their greatest advantage over cable. If you don't have one, you are really missing out. DirecTV service just isn't the same without it. DirecTV will sell you one for $49-$99.

4. I have a feeling I'm going to be disapointed with this service, because all the rumors of new channels on here have to do with "Oh boy they are getting 134 new HD channels". Well, who cares? I don't HAVE HDTV. MOST of the subscribers to DTV don't have HDTV. Why don't they try adding Goodlife, GAC, the rest of the Cinemax channels, MY local channels, etc. etc. etc. before worrying about HDTV
You could argue that more subscribers want HDTV than the channels you mentioned. About 5-6% of DirecTV's subscribers have HDTV receivers. At least that percentage wants more HDTV on DirecTV, and some additional % is waiting until DirecTV adds more HD programming before buying a HDTV receiver. Do more than 5% or 6% of DirecTV's customers want Goodlife and GAC? Hard to say.

The HDTV customers tend to subscribe to more services, so it is to DirecTV's advantage to keep those customers happy. As Charlie Ergin says, not all customers are equal in "quality." Some customers are much more desirable than others, from a financial standpoint. Is DirecTV going to be able to charge more for Goodlife and GAC? Probably not. Are many customers going to leave DirecTV because they don't have Goodlife? Probably not. Are many HDTV customers going to add Starz if DirecTV adds StarzHD? Yes.

The same people who like DVD will be the ones upgrading to HDTV. Not many people are sticking with VHS tape these days. They appreciate the improved picture quality and surround sound that DVD offers. HDTV offers a much better picture than DVD with the same great sound. The movie channels and most most network (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) programs and sports are available in high-definition, many with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Even the Weather Channel is preparing to go HD -- ESPN, Discovery, TNT, and Bravo already have.

Ken F said:
eibon,

I didn't see you mention DirecTivo in your post. Did you get a DirecTivo? The DirecTivo DVR is the best reason to get DirecTV service and their greatest advantage over cable. If you don't have one, you are really missing out. DirecTV service just isn't the same without it. DirecTV will sell you one for $49-$99.

Hi. No, I have very little interest in TIVO or anything of that sort, since I already have a DVD recorder that supports DVD-RW, and plan on buying another one within a year that has a hard drive. I know TIVO has advantages over that, but I would rather have the option to record the stuff permanently to DVD-R :) At least I can do that until HBO and the other a**holes start sending a signal to prevent recording, if they do indeed do that (it is a likelihood at this point from what I understand, and Panasonic DVD recorders are equipped to accept such signals).

Now for the HDTV comments... all this talk about analogue dying in 2006 seems silly to me. Sure a lot of people SAY that, but come on, we were supposed to convert to the metric system 40 years or so ago as well. I know of ONE person that has a HDTV. That's it. And I know a few people that make $100,000+/yr., even they haven't upgraded yet.

How much does a 32" HDTV cost these days anyhow? :(

E

GaryPen said:
Cinemax just plain sucks. With Dish Network, which is what I have, it's only $3 per month when purchased with HBO, and it still isn't worth it! So, don't blame DirecTV for that one.

Yes, the REGULAR Cinemax channel sucks, BUT these off the wall ones they have seem to kick ass. Come on, 'Race With the Devil' and 'The Entity' in the same day? Who wouldn't want THAT? :)

E

Hi. No, I have very little interest in TIVO or anything of that sort, since I already have a DVD recorder that supports DVD-RW, and plan on buying another one within a year that has a hard drive. I know TIVO has advantages over that, but I would rather have the option to record the stuff permanently to DVD-R
A DVD writer is a substitute for a VCR; it's not a substitute for a Tivo, as anyone on this forum will tell you. I have a DVD writer, but it doesn't do a tenth of what the DirecTivo does.

Every time you click a recording on the Tivo, you have the choice to play it, delete it, or save it to VCR / DVD writer. Whenever you click the save to VCR item, it puts a screen at the start of the recording with the program name and a description. I don't know about you, but I don't save every single program I watch to DVD. I only save the best programs and shows to DVDs -- that's why the Tivo has the Record to VCR / DVD writer feature.

The Tivo is not a replacement for a DVD writer; rather, it is a replacement for a standard receiver. It lets you pause, instant replay, slow mo, and rewind on live programming; it lets you easily skip commercials on recorded and buffered programming. It automatically records new episodes of all your favorite shows, regardless of when they are showing, and ignores the repeats and duplicate episodes. It has two tuners to record two programs at once; if three programs are showing at the same time, it will record two based on the priority order you have set, and record the third program or episode the next time it is showing.

The Tivo lets you easily search all programs showing in the next 14-days, just by selecting the first few characters of the title from the on-screen keyboard. It has wishlists which let you auto-record content from all channels based on criteria you select; examples of wishlists to auto-record regardless of date, time, and channel: all comedies with Julia Roberts; all dramas directed by Steven Speilberg; all science fiction programs with "Taken" in the title; all documentaries about the Civil War; all action movies starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

All DirecTivo recordings are identical in quality to the original broadcast, unlike DVD recorders which degrade the quality (because of MPEG-2 re-encoding). Unlike the standalone Tivo which has a $12.99/mo fee, the DirecTivo only has a $5/mo DVR fee (for an unlimited number of DVRs in your home). If you subscribe to DirecTV's top programming package, the DVR fee is waived completely.

Now for the HDTV comments... all this talk about analogue dying in 2006 seems silly to me. Sure a lot of people SAY that, but come on, we were supposed to convert to the metric system 40 years or so ago as well. I know of ONE person that has a HDTV. That's it. And I know a few people that make $100,000+/yr., even they haven't upgraded yet.
Analogue isn't dying in 2006, just like VCRs didn't die when DVD recorders came out. I see you didn't wait until VCRs were no longer available to buy a DVD writer. When something better comes along, the old and obsolete technologies still remain around for a long time. However, that doesn't mean that all or much of your favorite programming isn't available in HDTV with DD5.1 sound today.

How much does a 32" HDTV cost these days anyhow?
Sony's newest 27" HDTV-ready set is $799; their 30" widescreen model and 32" 4:3 model both have a MSRP of $999. The 34" widescreen model has a MSRP of $1499. Subtract $100-$200 if you buy online (ex: J&R Music World). Some models from manufacturers like Toshiba can be found for $100-$200 less. Give it another six months and prices on these models should be $100-$200 lower.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)