Just got DirecTV..HAVE QUESTIONS before installed!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Raff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Hey guys..new to the forums..i am really confused about DirecTV and hope you guys can please help me out!

I keep getting told that i will get my locals (ABC, CBS, NBC) in HD when there are HD programs on. Best Buy keeps telling me that i need a HD Antenna to receive them. I called DirecTV and they said i will get all my locals in HD.

I don't know who to believe and really don't want to miss out on Monday Night Football in HD and other programs.

I live in the zip code 02747 and I am really confused about my HD package which I am getting.

Thanks in advance!

As long as your DirecTV receiver (STB) is an HD receiver, and your television is an HD or HD Ready television, then your local networks will be in HD if that is what they broadcast. Many locals broadcast primarily in SD, but certain shows are in HD. So you will get whatever they broadcast--in whatever format the locals choose.

There are several ways to get reception of local broadcasts. DirecTV has them through the satellite in some markets, or you can get them by using an OTA (over the air) antenna. This depends on what type of installation that you arranged, and on the equipment that you purchased.

Wait...So I won't get CBS and NBC in HD?

Ahhh im so confused!

I live in southeastern MA ..south of Boston

AGHH I'm gona go crazy if i can't get them!

Welcome to Satelliteguys Raff! :welcome

If you need any help picking the right antenna go to www.antennaweb.org Based on your address it will tell you how far you are from the local channel towers and what type of antenna you will need to pick them up.

So basically what I am understanding is, that I will NOT recieve CBS nor NBC in HD?

AHHH! I switched over to directv to avoid cables problems, and now I think i am better off staying with Comcast because at least i get local HD! :mad:

So far, this has been a nightmare!

Wow, i can never trust DirecTV techs ever again.

One told me that if i am watching a show and it says "AVAILABLE IN HD" then i will be able to get it, and now im hearing that I have to get an antenna if I want to watch them. I called up DirecTV to get a honest answer before i make the commitment and now I feel I made a huge mistake!

Raff said:
Wow, i can never trust DirecTV techs ever again.

One told me that if i am watching a show and it says "AVAILABLE IN HD" then i will be able to get it, and now im hearing that I have to get an antenna if I want to watch them. I called up DirecTV to get a honest answer before i make the commitment and now I feel I made a huge mistake!

I'm sorry that the CSR lied to you. I never trust a CSR no matter what company they work for. That's why when ever I want something I find a forum like this to find out the truth.

I really appreciate you guys helping me, I seriously just feel like returning everything and never watch tv again.

So to sum it up, what you're telling me is that I will NOT recieve any locals in HD?

I see the pamphlets and see ESPN HD, and discovery HD, Is there any other channels in HD? or just those..last question :)..just trying to get everything set so I can get my fustration out on DTV tomorrow morning.

-thanks

Raff said:
I really appreciate you guys helping me, I seriously just feel like returning everything and never watch tv again.

So to sum it up, what you're telling me is that I will NOT recieve any locals in HD?

I see the pamphlets and see ESPN HD, and discovery HD, Is there any other channels in HD? or just those..last question :)..just trying to get everything set so I can get my fustration out on DTV tomorrow morning.

-thanks

That is correct, no locals in HD unless you get an antenna.

The channels available in HD are ESPN HD, Discovery HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, Bravo HD and if you subscribe HBO HD, Showtime HD and NFL sunday ticket HD.

You will also get HDNet and HDNet movies.

Directv has plans to launch a new satellite next year that will allow more capacity to offer more HD channels. They also have plans to offer local HD channels (what you keep asking about) for the top 30 markets. I would assume Boston is one of those. :)

If you sub to Showtime or HBO you will also get their respective HD channels as well.

Don't fret if you can't get CBS-HD (which you should seeing you're CBS station is owned and operated by CBS not an affiliate) or NBC-HD from Direct. The locals from the antenna will also be in the guide and you can tune to them like any other channel.

The only problem was i wasn't really interested in dishing out another 150 for an outdoor antenna which is bulky, wasn't the direction I was looking to go in..but I have to thank the DirecTV reps for raising my spirits so high, only to drop them so low..no big deal..

I am just glad to dump cable

Raff, Directv gave me a deal on an outdoor OTA antenna for $50.

If you live close enough to the towers you can get by with an indoor antenna, which I would recommend the Zenith Silver Sensor.

Raff

Current DirecTV HDTV Channel Lineup
Available with subscription to specific sports package:
90 - 98 NFL Sunday Ticket HD

Available in HD Package:
73 ESPN HD
74 Bravo HD+
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HDNet Movies
79 HDNet

Available to subscribers in specific areas, contact DirecTV for details:
80 CBS HD E
81 CBS HD W
82 NBC HD E
83 NBC HD W

Available to all subscribers:
85 HD PPV
98 HD Special Events (NFL Network, NBA HDTV, etc.)
99 HD PPV / Spice

Available with subscription to specific movie package: 70 HBO HD
71 Showtime HD

HD channels to be added Available to subscribers in specific areas, contact DirecTV for details:
88 FOX HD E
89 FOX HD W

Raff, it is also worth nothing that you are in a top 30 Market (DMA) and D* will have your locals in HD very early next year. I am a 7 years DirecTV customer and decided to "try" cable (for HD locals) ... D* is far superior in picture quality to cable. FWIW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts