just got dish and i am very dissapointed...can you shed some light?

Have you checked the manual or the menus on your TV to see if there are any settings for "MPEG" or "digital source". I realize that component video is not digital, but I have seen the option on several HD TV/monitors that improves the picture quality 100%.
You may also have a bad receiver, is the PQ that bad on every channel at all times of the day ?

The is federal law that says otherwise. They cannot prohibit it.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/consumerdish.html

Mitch

In that url it states:

"Under certain conditions, if a common antenna is available for use by residents, then the community association or landlord may reject or not permit the installation of an individually-owned antenna or satellite dish, provided the service and costs are the same."

i.e. If they provide the service via distribution, for the same cost, then they can deny you.

I may have jumped the gun by not reading the whole page. However, are service and costs the same? Surely service is not.

Here is more from the FCC site (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html)

Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install an individual antenna?

A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule. Restrictions based on the availability of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: (1) the person receives the particular video programming or fixed wireless service that the person desires and could receive with an individual antenna covered under the rule (e.g., the person would be entitled to receive service from a specific provider, not simply a provider selected by the association); (2) the signal quality of transmission to and from the person's home using the central antenna is as good as, or better than, the quality the person could receive or transmit with an individual antenna covered by the rule; (3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; and (4) the requirement to use the central antenna instead of an individual antenna does not unreasonably delay the viewer's ability to receive video programming or fixed wireless services.

My interpretation is that unless the complex fixes his problem, he would get better service going directly though DISH and therefore the exception to OTARD would not apply (he would be allowed under the law).

Furthermore, later in the factsheet:

Q: Who is responsible for showing that a restriction is enforceable?

A: When a conflict arises about whether a restriction is valid, the local government, community association, property owner, or management entity that is trying to enforce the restriction has the burden of proving that the restriction is valid. This means that no matter who questions the validity of the restriction, the burden will always be on the entity seeking to enforce the restriction to prove that the restriction is permitted under the rule or that it qualifies for a waiver.

Mitch

Bucket...cement...Dish1000...patio...copies of the OTARD in a clear "FREE-TAKE ONE" box at the front door.

"I wanted my 129W HD, you guys didn't have it. Let me know when you get 129W on the QAM system and when my free 622 works on it. Thanks"

All these tips are nice. But, the fact is most Dish SD channels look like crap on a large TV, especially the local channels. They over compress them to fit them all in the limited bandwidth they have. You can try this and that. But, they will still not look very good. Also, SD will often not look that good on an HDTV, regardless of your provider.

You can make them look less crappy by adjusting your TV and changing to a different receiver. If you go into the TV's menu, and picture settings, you should be able to change it to "movie" or "pro", if you have a Sony. Those settings look much better than the harsher "dynamic" or whatever comes from the factory.

The 811 is a horrible receiver. But, I'm not sure exactly how the receivers work with these multi-dwelling systems. That may be the only one they offer there. I don't know. But, if you're not subscribing to HD, why did they give you an HD receiver? Also, why not subscribe to HD to go with your HDTV. The Bravia has an awesome HD picture.

Also, if you are lucky and have the correct exposure, you can have the dish looking out a window. Since it's in the apartment, the landlord et al has no say.

I have an 811 and a 211 and the SD is watchable on both. Very little difference, if any. The adjustments on your HDTV are the trick. You need Avia or Video Essentials to correctly adjust you tv. But first, lower the contrast to about 40 and turn the brightness below 80. It will take your eyes a little while to adjust to the lower light seettings, but the picture will become much clearer. Using the Avia or VE will set the black level and other setting to the optimum on your tv. It will make a world of difference on the SD picture.
Also, minimize the lights in your tv room or turn them off. One dim lamp behind the tv is best.
I have a 65" HD Toshiba and Cox basic cable and DIsh Bronze package.

Last edited:
in regards to the fcc consumer facts, the complex does provide the same cost for service as dish does by itself. whether or not the PQ is better with a dish on my patio or the main dish on the roof is the question. im beginning to think that it will be the same regardless.

its such a shame that they over compress the channels. i cant believe there hasnt been enough complaints to have these providers figure something else out. i cant imagine anyone who buys a nice big screen lcd tv to be satisfied with the PQ of SD. but then again it seems like we are living in a "compress everything" world (i.e. mp3, internet video, etc...)

im going to get video essentials today and calibrate my tv and also use some of the tips provided here. im also going to try and get the dish 351 receiver that is SD only, and see if thats any better. i keep hearing all these bad things about the 811. plus i dont know why they are handing these out if we dont even get HD at the complex. if nothing else improves the PQ then ive done all i can do:(. i guess im just one of the few people still left that prefer quality over quantity...i will post back soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts