***Just got DISH, finally!! Couple quick questions...***

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
I finally signed up for Dish (hopefully, to avoid the price hikes that are around the corner). Installer came and set me up yesterday with a ViP 722 serving my living room (HDTV) and kitchen (SD), and a 625 serving my office room (SD) and bedroom (SD). He told me I needed to keep the 2 boxes constantly connected to the phone line to avoid a monthly fee.

My questions:

- Can I hook the bo:mad:es) up via Ethernet cable INSTEAD OF phone cable and still avoid that monthly fee? Will DISH still get the info they need? Will I still see caller ID info on my TV?

- Anyone know of a way to be able to choose which tuner/TV will record a future timer? Seems like any timers I've set up are all defaulting to "TV2". Does it depend if I'm in Single or Dual Mode? Does it depend on which tv I set up the timer from?

Thanks to all who read and reply, I appreciate all the collective knowledge found here!!!

PEACE!!!!

...- Anyone know of a way to be able to choose which tuner/TV will record a future timer? Seems like any timers I've set up are all defaulting to "TV2". Does it depend if I'm in Single or Dual Mode? Does it depend on which tv I set up the timer from?...
I does NOT matter which tuner is being used to record a program. All recordings are at the full 'definition' of the broadcast. When you play it back it will be dumbed down (if necessary) to the 'definition' of that output (e.g. an HD program will display in HD for TV1 and SD on TV2).

Talon Dancer

I does NOT matter which tuner is being used to record a program. All recordings are at the full 'definition' of the broadcast. When you play it back it will be dumbed down (if necessary) to the 'definition' of that output (e.g. an HD program will display in HD for TV1 and SD on TV2).

Talon Dancer

Thanks Talon, but I didn't give enough detail. I know about the HD downconverting to SD on SDTV's. My question is this: If I'm in my living room (TV1) and I set up a timer, the indicator on the guide shows a clock with a "2" over it, which I assume means that it plans on recording that show using the tuner which is normally used to feed TV 2, meaning (I think) that if someone wants to use the kitchen tv (TV2), they will not be able to, as my previously set timer will be recording there, whether or not anyone is using the living room tv (TV1).

Well, I hope that made sense, I think I just confused myself!! If anyone understands my ramblings, help me out if ya could!!!

Sorry I can't help you further. We only have ONE TV :eek: And I'd get rid of that one in a New York second, if my wife didn't think that would be considered grounds for justifiable homicide.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
It is usually better to leave it on tv2 but you can go into the menu's and disable record plus and the timers will record on the tv where the timer is set or leave record plus enabled and change the default to tv1 and timers will record to tv1.

The 722 can use ethernet but the 625 can not.

Thanks Talon, but I didn't give enough detail. I know about the HD downconverting to SD on SDTV's. My question is this: If I'm in my living room (TV1) and I set up a timer, the indicator on the guide shows a clock with a "2" over it, which I assume means that it plans on recording that show using the tuner which is normally used to feed TV 2, meaning (I think) that if someone wants to use the kitchen tv (TV2), they will not be able to, as my previously set timer will be recording there, whether or not anyone is using the living room tv (TV1).

Well, I hope that made sense, I think I just confused myself!! If anyone understands my ramblings, help me out if ya could!!!

That is right, if it says you are recording on TV2 then you will be watching the program you are recording if you were to turn on TV2, even if you are not watching TV1. It doesnt recognize which tv's are on and record to the one that is off. You have to manually set which tv to record too. And, if you have an OTA tuner you can actually record 3 things at once, one on TV1, one on TV2 and one on the OTA. Or watch one and record two.

In order to get CallerID, you need the phone line connected to the receiver you are watching (and have CallerID enabled in the Menus, and, of course, subscribe to CallerID from your phone companye).

So, if you use ethernet, instead of phone line, you will not have CallerID.

Of course, you can have both connected.

Currently, Ethernet requires that your router run DHCP and DNS, because the 722 software does not yet allow static IP and static DNS.

That is right, if it says you are recording on TV2 then you will be watching the program you are recording if you were to turn on TV2, even if you are not watching TV1. It doesnt recognize which tv's are on and record to the one that is off. You have to manually set which tv to record too. And, if you have an OTA tuner you can actually record 3 things at once, one on TV1, one on TV2 and one on the OTA. Or watch one and record two.

That's another thing I was wondering about. I knew that the 722 was able to record 3 channels at once if you have an OTA antenna...and I've been to antennaweb.org to see what I should get...but I have no idea what a good brand of roof antenna would be. Also, I'm pretty sure that currently, the HD locals in my area (Pittsburgh, PA) are all being simulacast on UHF channels, while the SD's are on VHF channels. So, at first, I thought all I would need to get is a UHF antenna, which are smaller, i believe. But, in Feb. 2009, when analog is shut down, and it's all digital, does anyone know if those current UHF HD channels will move back to the VHF slots that their SD brothers once occupied? That would mean I should make sure to get a VHF/UHF antenna, yes?

Thanks for reading, helps me out when I write all this down, to make sure I've got my ideas and assumptions straight in my head. Any and all info is appreciated!!

That's another thing I was wondering about. I knew that the 722 was able to record 3 channels at once if you have an OTA antenna...and I've been to antennaweb.org to see what I should get...but I have no idea what a good brand of roof antenna would be. Also, I'm pretty sure that currently, the HD locals in my area (Pittsburgh, PA) are all being simulacast on UHF channels, while the SD's are on VHF channels. So, at first, I thought all I would need to get is a UHF antenna, which are smaller, i believe. But, in Feb. 2009, when analog is shut down, and it's all digital, does anyone know if those current UHF HD channels will move back to the VHF slots that their SD brothers once occupied? That would mean I should make sure to get a VHF/UHF antenna, yes?

Thanks for reading, helps me out when I write all this down, to make sure I've got my ideas and assumptions straight in my head. Any and all info is appreciated!!

I believe you are correct about wanting to get a UHF/VHF antenna. However, one thing to note is that when you look at Antennaweb, make sure to check the "Show Digital Stations Only" Radio Button and this will show which stations are currently showing HD (or at least Digital which will sometimes have HD). I would guess all of you major networks are already broadcasting in digital and those are the ones you will want to pick up.

Geoff

You would not get charged for not having a phone line connected if you have your Ethernet connected and working.

Watch out though... My installer apparently told them I had no phone line when he called to activate, so they tried charging me the $5 fee even though I had Ethernet configured and tested. I had to explain to the CSR a few times "No, I don't have a phone line, I have ethernet connected.... No, broadband, not a phone line...."

She finally waived the fee and I haven't seen it pop up since.

When Dish released a brief 10 minute video highlighting the new Ethernet service, they said that it would also save us money for those of us who don't plug in a phone line. I have had just and Ethernet and no phone line plugged in since and have not been charged any fee.

Ethernet / Wireless Bridge

Ethernet Network works perfect. I found this doc very helpfull.

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departm...l/images/pdf/tech/HomeNetworkInstallGuide.pdf

I still did not want a cable running across. So I have setup a Wireless network (bridge). I had to install DD-WRT firmware to my Belkin router to configure this wireless bridge.

>>> Wireless Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki <<<

:eureka My 722 is now wireless networked using my Belkin router. My thanks to DD-WRT team and satelliteguys.us. :eureka

-Venkat.

Tuner selection for recording

In my setup TV2 (SD) is in my Living Room which i (and my wife) watch most of the time. My TV1 is a Projector connected via HDMI. I don't use it very often. So i prefer to run DVR recordings in TV1.

When i setup recording from my TV2 (go to guide - push record button), it does not give me the option to record in TV1. It picks up TV2, not allowing me to watch other channels while its records. I find this annoying.:eek:

I will try to turn off record plus and check if that does any good.

Thanks

In my setup TV2 (SD) is in my Living Room which i (and my wife) watch most of the time. My TV1 is a Projector connected via HDMI. I don't use it very often. So i prefer to run DVR recordings in TV1.

When i setup recording from my TV2 (go to guide - push record button), it does not give me the option to record in TV1. It picks up TV2, not allowing me to watch other channels while its records. I find this annoying.:eek:

I will try to turn off record plus and check if that does any good.

Thanks
Have you set Record Plus to have the Default Tuner to Tuner 1??? It almost sounds (based on what I read from just this post) that you have the Default for Record Plus for Tuner 2 (which I believe is the default of the Receiver). You can find the Default (and change it) under the Record Plus Menu.

Geoff

Yes, Thank you.

Yes, That is what i did (Default Tuner = Tuner 1).

Thanks for your help.

:hatsoff: You guys are doing a great job!! I appreciate that. :hatsoff:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts