Just got DTV any tips?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smithben1983

Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
minnesota
I am loving it so far but few things are driving me nuts. One the guide is so slow to pull up. haven't checked if its slow on the other receivers. just know it is on my HD DVR think its an hr24 model or whatever. also the channel order seams all out of whack theres no rime or reason to it. anything elas a i should do to make my new install alittle better?

the guide layout has lots of reason to those of us on it 7 - 10 + years but to each his own. You can setup FAVS list(s).

Did you make sure to force the latest firmware onto the DVR?

Well, the HR24 is the fastest of all the HRs. My HR24 is quite quick.
I'd suggest that you do a restart using the setup menu. This may help.

As for the channels order, there isn't anything that can be done. However, you may want to create a favorite's list to include only the channels that you are interested in.

Guide will get faster after 24 hours when it is totally downloaded. Also turn off scrolling effects in the Display section of the setup, that will help speed it up.

i know the tech did some update stuff. how do i make sure?

Menu, Reset, Restart Receiver, at the first blue screen type 02468. That will force a download of latest.

If you don't and there is any update it will download by itself in the next few days overnight.

Also, instead of scrolling through the guide on a certain channel, just hightlight that channel and press the info button and it will bring up a seperate guide just for that channel. That saves alot of scrolling!

What you definitely want to do is trim down the channel list. Go to Menu > Favs/Setup/Parental >Favorites, and set up Custom 1. Add "What I Get", then start deleting from there. Trim out all the junk that doesn't interest you and it'll feel a lot better while browsing.

There is no real rhyme or reason to any provider's lineup (although Dish's is the worst because they have like 5 copies of each channel scattered all over the guide), but I wouldn't doubt if the networks pay for placement in the lineup where they think will get them the most viewers. The home shopping and infomercial channels are everywhere because they pay for multiple channel slots. Same with the 'game lounge' channels. Basically 100's are PPV, 200 and 300's are 'the usuals' or 'expanded basic', 400's are international, 500's are movies, 600's are RSNs (regional sports networks), 700's are sports packages, 800's are music, 900's are system info and private networks, 1000's are On Demand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)